It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

Linda Grace HB User
Excessive fatigue after meals?

Hi. I'm fairly new to being hypo and I'm experiencing excessive fatigue after eating. I do tend to be hypoglycemic but this is way more tired than normal for me after eating. Does anyone else experience this and do you know how to prevent it? I just ate a normal meal not too many carbs.

Thanks,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: Excessive fatigue after meals?

I suffer from the exact same problem. I have kind of found my way to combat it is to make sure I don't eat to much so I can go for a nice walk afterwards. If I clean up and walk right away, I can usually fend it off.

Hope this helps.

Karen

The Following User Says Thank You to merrillin For This Useful Post:
Evelyn100 (08-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Seastar HB User

Linda,

I have that problem too. I've found that eating smaller meals than normal more frequently, sort of grazing, helps a bit, or as Karen said, a walk if you can manage it. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Seastar For This Useful Post:
Evelyn100 (08-28-2011)
Old 06-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Even though I have to force myself outside and to walk, I have to do it or I am asleep after dinner and don't or can't wake up til it is 10 pm! The tiredness is overwhelming isn't it?

I am starting on Armour tomorrow, I sure hope it helps.

Karen

The Following User Says Thank You to merrillin For This Useful Post:
Evelyn100 (08-28-2011)
Old 06-20-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

Linda Grace HB User

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. I was reading another thread here about foods and thyroid and someone mentioned tuna has a lot of iodine. Well, that's what I had eaten--a tuna sandwich. I don't get this fatigue after all meals, just occaisionally so I think I'm going to keep an eye on what I'm eating when it happens. Guess, I'd better not eat the other half of the sandwich now---oh, and I love tuna. Speaking of iodine, are hypos supposed to have it or avoid it? That's probably a controversial question. But I guess if I have it and it makes me feel worse, I'll avoid it.

Blessings,
Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to Linda Grace For This Useful Post:
Evelyn100 (08-28-2011)
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

MLWC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Grace
Hi. I'm fairly new to being hypo and I'm experiencing excessive fatigue after eating. Linda
Linda--
Oh yes--I know what you're talking about. I mean, there were nights I would fall asleep AT the table with my head against the wall in the middle of a conversation! One time we had a friend (a good friend, luckily) over for dinner (burritos, yum!) and after we ate I had to crash on the couch because I couldn't stay awake! I was MORTIFIED! (this was before I knew about the hashi's) There was no hope of me even THINKING of going for a walk afterwards...The fatigue would happen so quickly, it hit me like a ton of bricks.
Since I've been on medication, that has improved a lot. Even my BF has noticed I'm more of a conversationalist now than a few months ago

When it happens at work, it's bad, so i do try to eat regularly throughout the day. Some days, though, even that won't work..I have to physically get up out of my chair in order to avoid falling asleep.

You are not alone!!

Anyone for naptime??

Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I know exactly that feeling and it is horrible! I mean don't get me wrong here, I am not bee-bopping down the street, walking...........I feel like I stagger like a drunk because I am soooo tired, but it does help. I started Armour today so I am in hopes that is one symptom that will go away with time.

Karen

Old 06-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
(female)

Linda Grace HB User

You all are wonderful on this site. I'm so glad I found it. As for my little experiment, I ate the rest of the tuna sandwich and didn't have anymore fatigue. Hmm, maybe it was the carbs after all. But I'll definitely take the advice here and get my body moving after I eat instead of glueing to the sofa.

Linda

Old 06-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

Seastar HB User

Linda,

I'm sorry that I forgot about this, but I have that problem with tuna too. I used to have it for lunch pretty often and I did feel worse afterwards than usual, so I cut it out thinking that it was the mercury or tryptophan making me sleepy. But iodine makes a lot more sense!

From what I've heard, iodine is essential for the thyroid to function properly, but too much of it causes suppression. I was taking kelp pills and using sea salt becuase an alternative practitioner told me it would help. However, my thyroid md said that both of those things would cause me to become even more hypo. So much conflicting info!! Hope that helps,
Seastar

Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWC
Some days, though, even that won't work..I have to physically get up out of my chair in order to avoid falling asleep.

This happens to me just about every day... meals just make it worse.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
(female)

Bonnyjo HB User

I certainly can relate to this problem. It doesn't seem to matter tho if I eat only a small meal or a big meal. I get so sleepy I feel like a SLUG. I have tried getting up and moving around. It helps somewhat, at least until my next meal. I have been on synthroid 150 mg. now for 2 months. Some things have gotten better, but the extreme fatigue hasn;t. Is there any end in sight??

Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
(female)

ilmyb2kitten HB User

It has been 2 years and I have seen no improvement even though I am leveled out for more than a year. It is SO frustrating to have hypothyroidism.

I hope you have better luck

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
(female)

EO79 HB User

Whoa... I eat tuna for lunch 3-4 times per week! I've never heard it's bad for the tyroid - is that true? No wonder I feel sleepy. good to know.

Closed Thread