It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

reiki gal HB User
Parathyroid problems - need advice

I have been having odd symptoms for almost 5 yrs. & seperately they didn't "impress" my dr. at all, but have been driving me crazy!

While doing a search for orthophosphoric acid for a cleanse I found this site by accident with this list of Parathyroid Symptoms:

[url]http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-symptoms.htm[/url]
Just don't feel well; don't quite feel normal. Hard to explain but just feel kind of bad.
Loss of energy, Don't feel like doing much. Tired all the time, depression
Feel old. Don't have the interest in things you used to.
Can't concentrate, or can't keep your concentration like you used to, forget simple things you used to remember [IQ of 136 & nowdays can hardly remember what happened yesterday!]
Osteoporosis and/or osteopenia [I have both]
heart palpitations [caused anxiety attacks so bad that psych put me on meds]
arrhythmias, [my rate dropped to 38 & they did immediate catheterization thinking I needed by-pass! found NO blockage!]
thinning hair, recurrent headaches, decreased sex drive,
irritable & harder to get along with [you bet! can't get anyone to believe me!]
don't sleep like you used to - wake up in the middle of the night
loss of energy -don't feel like doing much - tired all the time,
blood pressure up & down alot - high blood pressure, sometimes mild, sometimes severe
GERD, heartburn, kidney stones

- those last 3 are the only on here that I have NOT experienced or complained to my primary about. I got so disgusted & desperate I even went to endocrinologist last year & he said I was fine because calcium did not test high...

2 yrs ago I had hair analysis done & "strontium" level was OFF the chart [not strontium 90, the radioactive one] this strontium is "paired" with calcium - the biochemist told me that the high st levels was causing calcium release into blood stream that was acting like a "calcium channel blocker" drug & that was affecting my heart rate causing bradycardia [low heart rate] The phosphorus/calcium ratio was 5.38/1 normal is 2.60/1

Went back to primary & she said that was voodoo medicine & you could test hair every day & it would be different.

I need some advice on who to ask about this, what specifically to say to make them take me seriously and/or WHERE TO GET SOME HELP

Is it possible for Thyroid test to be in normal range [my last TSH was 2.152] if parathyroid is NOT? They didn't test that. I guess they don't unless calcium shows abnormal; but the site I copied that list from said that many don't test way high for calcium & still have parathyroid tumors or problems! I just could really use some pointers on where/what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
Re: Parathyroid problems - need advice

Well, first of all the parathyroids and the thyroid have nothing to do with each other. They are totally separate glands and the only reason the names are similar is because they are physically near each other in the body. So make sure you get all your THYROID hormones checked first (not just TSH but also free T4 and free T3) because your list could apply to thyroid problems too, which are much more common than parathyroid problems.

However it IS possible to have parathyroid problems even with a normal serum calcium level, so if you really suspect that, you can always ask to have your parathyroid hormone (PTH) tested. You can also have your serum phosphorous level tested. But definitely check the thyroid first, since it's much more likely to be the culprit. Plus, with parathyroid disease, phosphorous/calcium ratio (at least in the blood, no clue about this hair stuff) would be too LOW (too little phosphorous, too much calcium.) Not too high like your hair analysis indicates. Good luck figuring this out!

Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

gldlks HB User

My mother was recently diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and just had one of the parathyroid glands removed three weeks ago.

This diagnosis took a long time to arrive at. She also had high blood pressure and some of the other symptoms you mentioned. As it turned out, one of the side effects of the medication she was taking to control her blood pressure is that it could increase the calcium level in her blood. The doctors believed that it was the medication that caused the elevated calcium and were not very concerned about it. My mother looked into it further since she is a cancer survivor (had a kidney removed in 1988) and wanted to make sure her other kidney was functioning properly (filtering the right amount of calcium from her blood).

To make a long story short (too late), her internist did not diagnose the hyperparathyroidism, the endocrinologist did. She went to the endo based on the advise of her urologist. The endo did other tests while she was off the blood pressure meds and was able to tell that way.

Maybe try finding another endo....

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

reiki gal
How did you make out with your condition? Was it parathyroid or thyroid?
I was diagnosed the other day with a high calcium level, so we are looking into it further now.

gldlks
Was your mother able to go off of the blood pressure medicine after her surgery?

I do know that your calcium level can flucutate and does not always have to be real real high to have hyperparathyroidism. My aunt had this condition about 12 years ago and she had surgery and she is fine today.

Thanks.

Closed Thread