It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User
Being increased but wondering still......

Early February 2005 #'s

TSH 2.57 MIU/L (.40-5.5)
T-4 Free 0.9 NG/DL (0.8-1.8)
T-3 Free 305 PG/DL (230-420)
Talked doc into getting my FT's into the 75% even tho he doesn't think my thryoid is a problem.
Put on 25mcg's of Levoxyl

4-1-2005 labs.

TSH 3.55 (same boundaries as above)
FT4 1.1
FT3 297

Increased to 50mcg's of Levoxyl

May 13, 2005 Labs: same boundaries as before

TSH - 2.76
FT3 - 308
FT4 - 1.1

Increased to 100 mcg's

June 29th:

TSH: .99
FT3: 281
FT4: 1.2

After going round with the other doc in the office that I THOUGHT understood thyroid, talked to the first doc that did agree to get my numbers into the 75% range. Well, went back and forth with the nurses who are caught in the middle.

Got a call this morning saying I was being increased to 125mcg's. So, I asked for a message to be sent to the doc (who isn't in all this week I found out).

Want to know why my FT3 is falling and should I be changed to a different med. My FT4 is moving but slowly, is this normal too?

Opinions here??? I have been feeling even more tired and cranky the past 3 weeks or so and kinda in no man's land on things. I could really use some thoughts on where my meds should be going since my doc isn't completely on board and just trying this for me.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User
Re: Being increased but wondering still......

Oh and something else that has come up lately. My eyes have gotten more sensitive to light. It really hit me last night while watching the fireworks. We were at a big display of them and I had to put on sunglasses! Otherwise I was squinting and jerking away from the lights and having my eyes water like crazy. I felt like a freak! And danged if I forgot to add that to the note that is going to my doc. Sigh............ this forgetfulness is driving me nuts too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User

No thoughts?

Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

luv2ski HB User

I was sensitive to light and my chiropractor/nutritionist indicated that my body was in a sympathetic (fight or flight) dominant state. We needed to address my adrenals nutritionally to help stabilize my thyroid. I also had problems with T3. Was put on Armour Thyroid over 4 years ago by my more open-minded MD as Armour has T3 and some T4. Synthroid only has T4. Inactive T4 is released by the thyroid and goes to the liver to be converted to active T3 (the hormone that makes you feel good). This goes to your tissues to make you feel good. I'm a high stress person and she indicated when you produce alot of stress hormone it prevents the conversion of t3 to T4 in the liver. She said it does this by affecting an enzyme. Instead of getting converted to active thyroid hormone it gets converted to Reverse T-3 (inactive T3). She said excess estrogen and testosterone can also do the same thing. We discussed doing functional lab testing to evaluate my liver and sex hormones but I haven't gone that far yet.

Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I am not sure, but my guess is that the initial doses just boosted your numbers up for a bit but once the medication actually got to the tussues and started being used, then the "real" numbers came out...that is these new number more acurately show what is actually available for use by your body (just my guess)

Also but, what I am sure about is that you will still need more. Asluv2ski said, Armour has both T4 and T3 and many do quite well having switch from an all T4 to Armour. But I also heard a case of someone who finally got to feeling well when their synthroid (T4) was finally raised to 200. So you may just have a way to go yet. It is very normal to go though ups and downs as you body adjust to having thyroid meds. In small doses 50 -75 and maybe even more you are just interrupting the feedback loop that tells the pituitary to tell the thryoid to produce more. That is why many people aim for total replacement...you can just "add on" to what you body was making...in theory it seems like it should would doesn't it?! But the body doesn't work that way...

BTW how are you feeling? If you still have hypo symtpoms, I bet you will just need to keep increasing little by little and wait four to six weeks between each increase and see how it goes...it take time and that is the pits...hang in!

Last edited by pixiek; 07-05-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Yes, I was going to agree with Pixie....how about a switch to a med that has t3 in it? That is what I have done and talked my dr into trying Armour first! Wow, I felt so good after all you hear and read about dr's won't give Armour. I have been on it 2 weeks. I started on 15 mgs and just raised to 30 yesterday. NO effects at all except that my hair stopped falling out already and no more cold! YEAH!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User

It is so hard to be patient too. I just refilled my old prescrip for 100mgs and I gotta tell ya, the temptation to cut them in half and take 50 + the new 125 script is so strong. But I think that would be too big of a jump and it would also cause the trust between my doctor and myself to be damaged. And so far, he is hanging in there with me. I didn't think he would since my TSH dropped. He said from the get go that he was ok with the 75% ranges for the FT's as long as he didn't supress my thyroid. Well, isn't that what really has to happen for true effectiveness?

Yes, I'm still having hypo symptoms, the past 3 weeks now have been awful. Just yesterday I was so depressed but knew I had to hide it from my hubby. So right before he came home I vacuumed the upstairs (which very much needed it) and made sure I had something for dinner. I'm crankier, still gaining weight and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I've been more tired - if that is possible and the kids were looking at me this morning as I got up right before 11am. Yesterday it was almost noon. I can't sleep at night, my sex drive perked up a bit about 6 weeks ago and then died again. Poor hubby. Of course since I'm still gaining, I have about 130# on me extra, so that doesn't exactly help how I feel about myself.

I just want to feel better. I have been like this for years now and thinking it was just me. But about a year ago, I got to thinking something really is wrong. I couldn't lose weight like I used to - and believe me, I tried. It just kept coming on. Since then I've been doing research - a lot of it here and going to doctors. I've been to a few and that has taken a lot of time as well. We were also without insurance for about 6 months last year, so I had to stop and wait until after the holidays this last year to pick back up the crusade.
Most days I wonder if it is just me - maybe I am just lazy, getting old and plain just breaking down. I mean, all these doctors keep saying my labs are normal. But I just don't feel right. That is what has kept me going. Thankfully, I'm a stubborn soul and determined to try this my way before I admit defeat. I'm just scared that I'll get my FT's where everyone says I'll feel better.............. and I won't.

Sorry to ramble, I've been needing to vent for the last couple days and have been trying to leave my hubby alone. How he is dealing with all this so well is beyond me. They wife he married dissappeared!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You haven't disappeared, sweetie.... You just got sick. He vowed to be true to you in sickness and in health. Don't feel bad if you have to gently remind him of it.

You need yourself some T3, girl. You can see the pattern in your tests. It hasn't budged, even though your FT4 has. But since you have a reluctantly cooperative doctor, you might just want to see what the increase will do for you before you fight him about T3. Perhaps... I really don't know... your conversion will pick up if there is enough T4 there to convert. Don't be tempted to take more than your authorized increase. See what it does for you first.

I worry like you that for many people, it takes TSH suppression for the FTs to get high enough. You can cross that bridge when you come to it. But maybe you should have another doctor waiting in the wings, just in case.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Thanks Mid - it is just hard as I'm sure you know. I think it is just as hard on the folks around you. This weekend was bad because the older kids (12 & 15) weren't here, but with their Dad. They help me be more productive - harder to be a lazy slug when you are being watched! The 5-1/2 year old that is ours doesn't care much yet. I have such guilt over my hubby coming home to an unkept house all the time and no great reasons on why. I never used to be like this either. I'm the one that would tell the kids all the time to suck it up and deal with it! LOL But thankfully, he is a great hubby - I hope one day in the near future I won't be such a weak link in our marriage and can be a better partner. We both deserve that.

I've been wondering at the FT3 myself - why it isn't doing anything and if nothing else, going down. Don't know if that is normal during this slow 6 week at a time process. I don't think 125mcgs is still enough for the average person tho - am I wrong?

I also don't know what TSH suppression is either. I thought at .93, he would figure it was too low. But he came thru for me this time, so we'll see. Not sure why my TSH dropped so low either. Sure wish my body could tell me in words I understand what is going on! Wouldn't that be nice????

Thanks again for listening to me fall apart. I probably need somebody with a sharp stick to poke me too! Part of the problem is you don't have the energy/desire/motivation to get up and get things done and then you get depressed when things don't get done. Nice vicious cycle, huh?

Old 07-07-2005, 05:34 AM   #10

diatron HB User

Another thing you might want to do to help you feel better is to make sure you are getting an adequate dose of selenium. Selenium is necessary for the conversion of T4 to T3 in your cells. If your multi-vitamin and the foods you are eating doesn't have enough, you'll need to supplement it. You need a minimum of 100 mcg a day.For the first month you may want to get at least 200 mcg a day to replenish your stores. A supplement works well, but I snack on Brazil nuts instead--3 nuts give you about 200 mcg of selenium.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #11
(female)

Ltraci2 HB User

Drat - just check some of my labs and Selenium wasn't anything they checked levels of. I do take a 1 a day, but haven't checked if it has it or not.

Closed Thread