It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

pete0303 HB User
oral thrush and hypothyroid related?

Does anyone know if oral yeast infections are related to being hypothyroid?I have been on 2 grains of westhroid since march and have improved a lot. Here lately a few hypo symptoms have come back such as excessive tiredness and foggy minded. Do you think i may need an increase?the past 2 weeks i have had thrush in my mouth and lips which is very painful and when this began was when I began to feel hypo again. I don't see how they could be related but seems like hypo has caused me so many strange symptoms and i wonder if anyone else has had this and if so what should i do? thank you all in advance. Susan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
Re: oral thrush and hypothyroid related?

There is a disorder called Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome type 1 (do a search for more info) characterized by chronic thrush (oral candadiasis), hypothyroidism, and adrenal failure. It's pretty rare, so that's probably not your problem, but your post caught my attention because I remembered having read about it. I don't know of any other connection between thrush and hypothyroidism, but maybe you should look into this PGA-1.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I'm not sure if there's a connection or not. But when I went hypo to have RAI treatment, my tongue turned very white, and I took thrush medicine. It didn't work, but when my tsh went back down to a more normal range, it went away by itself.

Has thrush medicine been helping you?

Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

My goodness! I notice this a few days ago, but today your post made me take a good look at my tongue and it looks whiteish, yellowish,something on it too! Maybe me too? I am not sure about the thrush, oral yeast infection, but when I was more hypo than now I had a lot of the other end yeast infections. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed more meds, especially since hypo symptoms have returned...a pretty clear sign for a boost up. Maybe I need a boost up, too! Hope this helps.

Last edited by pixiek; 07-12-2005 at 03:27 AM.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

After my hysterectomy, I left the hospital with a nasty thrush infection, in my mouth and the "other" place. Since the hysterectomy, the thrush has returned 4 times, although currently, it is not in my mouth.

I think it has more to do with my adrenals being fatigued, but that's only my guess. I crave sweets and salty foods (a definite adrenal fatigue sign) and I think the sugar I eat feeds the yeast. I try to stay away from sugar, but it's an uphill battle - I quit smoking (cold turkey) with more ease than I can give up sugar!

Taking acidophillus really helps, but I ran out, and so now am battling another infection....

Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
(female)

pete0303 HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies.Gentain violet has helped the spots on my lips and tongue and miconozole on the other end seems to be helping.Gentain violet however stains you a bright purple and takes a day or too to wear off.I just feel for me it has all surfaced repeatedly over the past 2 years which is when my worst hypo symptoms manifested I increased my own dosage and don't know what i will do if i run out before he will fill my prescription he told me today my thyroid level was fine .

Closed Thread