It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

mama22boys HB User
Thyroid Peroxidase-What is a normal range?

Hello,

I have Graves and my new endo said he would do an antibodies test. Well, I got the results over the phone and the nurse just said my peroxidase test was over 800.
She gave me all the other numbers and I was hyper. This after nearly a year on meds.

I see him next week, but I just wonder about that. My son has Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Can I have both Graves and Hashi's?

Forgive my ignorance. I am learning a lot here. Thank you all for your time.

Also, I plan to ask about RAI. Is it possible that RAI will cause eye problems?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Thyroid Peroxidase-What is a normal range?

Hello! I don't know much about your other questions but I know that the range for the peroxidase antibodies is usually less than 2 or less than 20. So yours are extremely elevated. Mine are an 8 and are considered "significantly elevated" (that's what my test says). Yours are 100 times that. I wish I could help more but I'm hypoT with elevated TPO and TG antibodies (My TGs are 396).

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
(female)

mama22boys HB User

Hello,

I needed to correct myself. When I typed 800 I was going by memory instead of looking at the note I had written when she called. It was around 175.

Still from what you are saying that is still high. I am just sick. I have had a headache off and on for a week and sooo tired. I am limping along till I go to the doctor. Something has to give.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mama22boys

Old 07-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry. I misread your original question, so my first answer was inappropriate.

It is technically possible to have both Graves' and Hashi's. A few experts go so far as to believe the conditions represent the opposite ends of the spectrum of the same disease. From the little I know about Graves', TPO antibodies are often present, along with Tg and TSI antibodies. So the TPO ABs don't necessarily mean you have Hashi's also.

Last edited by midwest1; 07-13-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
(male)

bulldog101598 HB User

Your Graves-like lab results in the presense of TPO antibodies (especially without elevated TSI), rather than actually indicating Graves, most likely represent fluctuations in thyroid hormone release from ongoing autoimmune destruction of your thyroid. In all likelihood you will eventually develop Hashimoto's and need horomone replacement. If you are currently having symptoms, you could talk to you doctor about something like propranolol to help you feel better. RAI shouldn't be a consideration at this point.

Last edited by bulldog101598; 07-13-2005 at 05:26 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I too have hashi's with the tg antibodies. I have so many hyper symptoms so it is possible to have both and have both of the symptoms going on, sometimes in the same day.

Best of luck,
Karen

Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
(male)

bulldog101598 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kant
I too have hashi's with the tg antibodies. I have so many hyper symptoms so it is possible to have both and have both of the symptoms going on, sometimes in the same day.

Best of luck,
Karen

The hyper symptoms will begin subside as the thyroid gland is destroyed by the TPO Abs. But, again, your doctor can prescribe medication to help you feel better in the meantime.

Closed Thread