It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #1

mimiblue HB User
How long should I wait to take vitamins after my synthroid dose?

Hi there.

There have been a couple posts about synthroid use in the last few days - in particular when is the best time to take it in order to garner maxium results. I just started last Sunday. I have been taking it every morning an hour before I eat. I usually take my vitamins a few hours later. My pharmacist advised to take iron or calcium at least six hours after my dose. Is it just iron and calcium or do all supplements apply? If that is the case, I have been taking my vitamins way too soon. Thanks for the input.

Mimi

Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
(female)

skewch HB User
Re: How long should I wait to take vitamins after my synthroid dose?

I know for my situation, I cannot take calcium for a minimum of 4 hours before/after taking my thyroid meds. My drug information sheet explained all of it. You might want to look up your prescription and find out for sure. Or you could just ask the pharmacist and they should be able to tell you.

Taking your vitamins with food might also help as well...off topic, but they don't give tummy aches as bad as on empty stomachs...

My endo also told me awhile back that it doesn't matter when you take your thyroid meds, just take them at the same time every day but away from the calcium supplements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
(female)

MLWC HB User
Re: How long should I wait to take vitamins after my synthroid dose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiblue
There have been a couple posts about synthroid use in the last few days - in particular when is the best time to take it in order to garner maxium results.
Hi mimi--
I believe Synthroid should be taken on an empty stomach with a big glass of water. That you're doing it one horu before you eat is smart--I think that's what is suggested.

I, too, had a question regarding calcium and iron. I don't take a multi with either of those supplements in it, nor do I take my calcium supplement within 4 hours of taking the Synthroid. I wondered if eating a bowl of cereal with milk might make a difference...I didn't get a chance to ask the doc that, but I'm assuming that since the supplement has so much more of a dose in it, that the milk in the cereal is not too bad.

hope you're feeling better--
MLWC

Closed Thread