It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 42
diddy HB User
Vitamins - synthroid

I dont eat or take anything within an hour of taking my 100 mcg synthroid pill. Is it OK to ingest vitamins about 2 hours after taking the synthroid? My diet aint so complete with minerals and I dont like going about the workday without a multi-vitamin in my stomach.

Does it REALLY matter that you do not ingest anything an hour after taking the synthroid? I've heard it's recommended, or is this just myth?

Also, does it matter if you take the synthroid morning or nite, as long as you're consistent?

I'm 2.5 months post-op total thyroidectomy and my weight has not budged since the surgery (had dose bumped from 50 to 100 - go in next week for next checkup). I've been pretty good about my diet (calorie wise), so I guess ingesting vitamins 2 hrs after the synthroid hasnt caused any issues...

As a 5'10, 175 lb male, does 100 mcg/daily sound about right? Or should I expect another kick-up next week? I'm thinking somewhere between 125 and 150 is probably most ideal since I have no thyroid functin

 
Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 1,639
Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Vitamins - synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy
I dont eat or take anything within an hour of taking my 100 mcg synthroid pill. Is it OK to ingest vitamins about 2 hours after taking the synthroid? My diet aint so complete with minerals and I dont like going about the workday without a multi-vitamin in my stomach.
My advice, is don't, but if you have to, then do it conisitently.

Quote:
Does it REALLY matter that you do not ingest anything an hour after taking the synthroid? I've heard it's recommended, or is this just myth?
It is no myth. Food BLOCKS the absorbtion of the thyrod hormone T4 in your stomach, so it just passes through you unabsorbed. Some foods are worse than others in this respect, especially high-fiber foods, and foods (or multivitamins) that are rich in iron or calcium.

Quote:
Also, does it matter if you take the synthroid morning or nite, as long as you're consistent?
It doesn't matter, and some peopl actually report sleeping better when they take it at night rather than the usually prescribed morning dose.

Quote:
I'm 2.5 months post-op total thyroidectomy and my weight has not budged since the surgery (had dose bumped from 50 to 100 - go in next week for next checkup).
Give it some time. Worry about getting hormone levels right and the weight should be a later concern ulsess it is a health hazard.

Quote:
I've been pretty good about my diet (calorie wise), so I guess ingesting vitamins 2 hrs after the synthroid hasnt caused any issues...
probably not, but I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry until you get your hormones balanced the way they should be.

Quote:
As a 5'10, 175 lb male, does 100 mcg/daily sound about right? Or should I expect another kick-up next week? I'm thinking somewhere between 125 and 150 is probably most ideal since I have no thyroid functin
That is hard to guage. I take the equivalent of roughly 250mcg (90mg Armour = approximately 150mcg T4, plus 100mcg Unithroid), and am male 5'9" and 155 lbs, and it is just right for me, BUT we are all different people with different needs and there isn't a set dose that will necessarily be right for every male at your height and weight.
__________________
Danny

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 07-17-2005 at 09:02 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Do vitamins (or lack of) change thyroid? hearts4ever Thyroid Disorders 6 11-10-2008 12:52 AM
Iodine free vitamins? tigger67 Thyroid Disorders 1 04-18-2008 07:03 AM
Floaters and Vitamins wilycoyote Eye & Vision 16 06-19-2007 04:10 AM
Meds vs diet changes vs vitamins/minerals? momtoaaj High Cholesterol 15 05-18-2007 07:15 PM
Opinions on a few vitamins please. miranda262 Vitamins & Supplements 3 03-09-2007 02:07 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (631), FinnMaid (313), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!