It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
(male)

diddy HB User
Vitamins - synthroid

I dont eat or take anything within an hour of taking my 100 mcg synthroid pill. Is it OK to ingest vitamins about 2 hours after taking the synthroid? My diet aint so complete with minerals and I dont like going about the workday without a multi-vitamin in my stomach.

Does it REALLY matter that you do not ingest anything an hour after taking the synthroid? I've heard it's recommended, or is this just myth?

Also, does it matter if you take the synthroid morning or nite, as long as you're consistent?

I'm 2.5 months post-op total thyroidectomy and my weight has not budged since the surgery (had dose bumped from 50 to 100 - go in next week for next checkup). I've been pretty good about my diet (calorie wise), so I guess ingesting vitamins 2 hrs after the synthroid hasnt caused any issues...

As a 5'10, 175 lb male, does 100 mcg/daily sound about right? Or should I expect another kick-up next week? I'm thinking somewhere between 125 and 150 is probably most ideal since I have no thyroid functin

Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Vitamins - synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy
I dont eat or take anything within an hour of taking my 100 mcg synthroid pill. Is it OK to ingest vitamins about 2 hours after taking the synthroid? My diet aint so complete with minerals and I dont like going about the workday without a multi-vitamin in my stomach.
My advice, is don't, but if you have to, then do it conisitently.

Quote:
Does it REALLY matter that you do not ingest anything an hour after taking the synthroid? I've heard it's recommended, or is this just myth?
It is no myth. Food BLOCKS the absorbtion of the thyrod hormone T4 in your stomach, so it just passes through you unabsorbed. Some foods are worse than others in this respect, especially high-fiber foods, and foods (or multivitamins) that are rich in iron or calcium.

Quote:
Also, does it matter if you take the synthroid morning or nite, as long as you're consistent?
It doesn't matter, and some peopl actually report sleeping better when they take it at night rather than the usually prescribed morning dose.

Quote:
I'm 2.5 months post-op total thyroidectomy and my weight has not budged since the surgery (had dose bumped from 50 to 100 - go in next week for next checkup).
Give it some time. Worry about getting hormone levels right and the weight should be a later concern ulsess it is a health hazard.

Quote:
I've been pretty good about my diet (calorie wise), so I guess ingesting vitamins 2 hrs after the synthroid hasnt caused any issues...
probably not, but I feel that it is better to be safe than sorry until you get your hormones balanced the way they should be.

Quote:
As a 5'10, 175 lb male, does 100 mcg/daily sound about right? Or should I expect another kick-up next week? I'm thinking somewhere between 125 and 150 is probably most ideal since I have no thyroid functin
That is hard to guage. I take the equivalent of roughly 250mcg (90mg Armour = approximately 150mcg T4, plus 100mcg Unithroid), and am male 5'9" and 155 lbs, and it is just right for me, BUT we are all different people with different needs and there isn't a set dose that will necessarily be right for every male at your height and weight.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 07-17-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread