It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Intermittent Eye Lid Drooping anyone?

Im curious if anyone else has experienced intermittent eye lid drooping (ptosis) from either hyper or hypo?

I had a really rough patch yesterday and the day before with real bad tremors. Heart rate was good and BP was ok but I was real tremory.

I looked in the mirror at one point and noticed just my left eye was nearly closed with just barely a little slit of eye showing. My right eye looked normal. I actually took a picture to show my endo but was curious what you guys thought.

I've noticed this several times before when feeling really crappy. Its not like being tired and not being able to keep the one eye open, its more like muscle paralysis or something...the lide just droops to a little slit and its always the same eye. When I feel good, it seems to go away. Others have noticed it too. My parents just visited and havent seen them in a while and first thing they said is "what's the matter with your eye, it looks half closed?" so I know I am not making it up plus I got the pictures to prove it to the doc. When this happens, it almost looks like I have 2 faces. my left looks totally different than my right. Im not sure if its just my eye either. It almost looks like you would see after a stroke or something when 1/2 of the face is paralized but not as drastic. My lips look slightly different on each side, my eyebrow, etc...the only major change is that one eye however.

Any ideas? I am at my wits end with this crap already.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Intermittent Eye Lid Drooping anyone?

Do you think it might be Bells Palsy? A temporary paralysis in facial nerves?

Maybe I'm a hypochondriac, but I think perhaps you should go to your reg. doctor (PCP) to rule out the causes besides thyroid.

I'm sure it's nothing---but I'm also sure you should make sure it's nothing to worry about.

Please, let us know what your docs say.....

Old 07-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

SangReal HB User

Is the eyelid drooping associated with headache? Just curious.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

naaa...no headache, just dropping.

Have you ever saw someone just after they smoked a ton of pot and can barely keep their eyes open? It sort of looked like that, but just in my one eye and the other eye was wide open.

I got hashi's and tend to get all this weird crap when Im going through "the change" as I call it. In this case, I was just getting out of a really hyper feeling phase for the last few days and going into a short-term hypo phase, or so it seemed. I might just be nuts at this point, who knows?

My eye was only like that for a few hours and then I can almost feel the thyroid kick in and my breathing was better and my eyes popped right open wide and I actually felt better. Tremor was gone, eyes were open...felt good actually as I do today all day so far.

Whatever funky *** disease I have, it tends to go in spurts. When whatever it is is broken, I am miserable and feel like I am gonna croak and then whatever it is fixes itself and Im pretty fine, like nothing was ever wrong.

That's my problem with all these blood tests. I can never really "catch" what's wrong. Its like taking the car to the garage for an electrical problem and the thing works fine in front of the mechanic and as soon as you leave it starts acting up again. I need a syringe and a blood collection tube to take home or something to draw my own blood in order to get this resolved I think.

I looked into that Bells Palsy too. I don't think its that. Not enough paralysis of the face. Its mostly the eye but the rest of my face just looks a little off. It could look that way because my eye seems so messed up, throwing off the other features of my face perhaps. Any other ideas?

Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

green2005 HB User

It might be ocular myasthenia gravis. This disease only affects the eyes and usually in the morning when you wake up the muscles in your lids are fresh and not tired but as the day progresses the muscles get weak and tired which causes the eyelid to droop. Look up more info on this and if you think you may have it, you need to go to an opthamologist. Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2005, 03:55 AM   #6
(female)

Cazie42 HB User

Hi

I was just reading your post, I have a droopy eye lid on my right eye.
It has got worse over the last year or so I thought it was just down to my age, (42). I never really noticed it before.

I have been diagnosed this year as Hypo, my test results 45.49(0.27-4.20) TSH March 2005, now 9.81.
Is this a sign of Hypothyroidism?
Should I mention this to my doctor because it is really getting me down, even to the point of me covering my eye with my fringe.

thanks

Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Yes, mention it to your doctor and take a picture if you can when it is bad so he can make the proper diagnosis. I have heard its a problem with hypo but can also be a probelm with hyper, depending on what is actually going on with the eye. I am not sure what is wrong in my case so I took a picture to show the endo later today. I'll let you know what he says. Either way, for me at least, I KNOW it is related to my problem cause it only happens when I feel like the doo doo in an crap sandwich.

I looked up some pictures on the net of "ptosis" and the pictures looked real similar to my problem. Not really sure what's up with the intermittent aspect however.

I also looked up that "myasthenia gravis" and a lot of the symptoms resemble my trouble so I am going to ask the endo about that as well.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 AM   #8
(female)

harley1231 HB User

feel better and for the most part symptom free when it is at a 2. Do either of you think our levels may affect our droopy eye??

Last edited by harley1231; 04-21-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #9

mimiblue HB User

Nastyhashi;

Hi there. I have some weird crap going on as well. I'm a 35 year old female who has been struggling with some thyroid related issues for two years. I am the proud owner of a goiter and two nodules. I swing back and forth just like yourself...isn't it grand? I've had my antibodies tested and I don't have hashi's. I think it's the nodules that make me swing back and forth. Anyhooooo.....I just wanted to let you know you are not alone with regards to the eye drooping. I have it too...but it's on my right side. I don't know if it's when I'm hypo or hyper......because the swing is pretty quick...but it happens. Misery loves company! It hasn't happened since I've been put on a low dose of synthroid to help my gland out....BUT it's only been two weeks.

Cheers,

Mimi

Old 07-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User

Hi Nasty
When I was first diagnosed with Hashi I had my left eye lid droop. It freaked me out. To top it all off my Check also appeared to drop and then get numb. Back then the doc never really said a word about it. It lasted only a day. I thought I had a stroke or something. But the heart tested out fine
To this day on occasion that same eye will sometimes look as if it were on it way to closing.

I always have the tired look even when I'm not tired. I have the nice Moon face to go along with it. But the cheek also felt numb like I had been to the dentist. Lots of starnge things go on. Today I noticed the top of my thighs were numb. It did not last long but it was what I called a Hashi day for me. Mini swings back and forth. Their not so intense anymore since my numbers are starting to get better. I'm doing a med increase and that usually for me means some swings.

How are you doing otherwise? Have you had any other blood draws done?

Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

I've felt hypo for several years. Had TSH of 8.5+ in 1997 with multinodular goiter, but went back to normal range within 1.5 - 2 years (and goiter going away). Have had weird symptoms since 1999/2000 including losing my hair, very slow bone healing (from my 2 bunionectomies), skin becoming very dry and flaking off in patches, muscle fatigue, very very cold hands and feet, tremors, numbness in fingers, AND....since just two weeks ago, a droopy right eyelid. Even my husband noticed it (and he rarely notices anything). My TSH a month ago was 4.7. (VERY Strong fm hx of Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism). My lid is only a little droopy though - like there is too much skin there and it's hanging over the edge of my eye; doesn't oclude my vision, but does "feel" droopy, and like it's more heavy than the other side. My eyes burn and feel "full" too. But, I'm also being worked up for CFS (and had chronic EBV on testing). *sigh*

Old 07-26-2005, 06:18 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

That's exactly how mine feels too but it only happens when "going through the change" as I call it. I can usually tell when my antibodies are raging and I feel like crap - that's when it usually happens but even then, it may only be for an hour or so.

I told my wife the last time to take a look at my eye and she totally noticed it too then like an hour late it was wide open and I felt good again. I know docs would never agree with me but I can actually feel my thyroid (or whatever is causing problems) kick back in when its off. Its like out of nowhere my lungs open wide, my nose clears and my eyes open wide.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Oh my gosh! I can totally relate! I was just thinking the other day that I now think I know when my thyroid has been acting up verses "behaving." When "acting up" I will get severe symptoms including shortness of breath with a chronic cough, muscle weakness and tremors, burning eyes, blurry eyes, injured muscles or ligaments...heck, just basically everything I said above with about 10-20 other things I just simply excluded because of time (and because I'm tired of writing them all down).

I wonder if any studies have been done that have taken patients with hypo or hyper symptoms (who've also had "normal" labs) and put a continuous IV (or heplock) in them and drawn blood over time. I wonder what type of variations would be seen. It's just strange to me that folks can FEEL hypo long before they SHOW hypo. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed as hypo and when I asked him how long he'd been having symptoms he told me he'd been having them for a while, but he just didn't realize it because he didn't know he had a thyroid problem and because they were gradual onset.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
(female)

green2005 HB User

I strongly believe it is ocular myasthenia gravis that affects only the muscles in the eyes. The eye or eyes will look normal when you wake up in the morning but as the day goes on the muscles become tired and weak which causes the eyelid to droop. An opthamologist can test you for this and there is medication for it as well.

Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #15
(female)

daisy01 HB User

hello sweetie, how are you doing? have missed you lots and lots, its been really quiet without you xxxxx great to see you back

Closed Thread