It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User
Thyroid Cream???

The optimal T4 dose for my muscles, joints, and tendons seems to be higher than than my heart & brain tolerance for the T4. Meaning, there is one (higher) dose of Synthroid that seems best for my muscle pain, etc., but after a month at that dose, I get real tachy.

Brain fog hits me in a U-shaped dose-response curve. Untreated & higher doses of T4 (the one that is good for the muscles) both leave me in foggy.

I have put experimented. Small amts (7 mcg.) of T4 into a transdermal cream base, dissolving it first in a few drops of pure food-grade ethanol (aka vodka ) & then applied it to my achy shoulders, knees & feet. I believe I feel relief within an hour by doing this (without the tachy, headaches, & brain fog of higher-T4 dosing). My DH thinks it's placebo, but I think NOT.

Searching transdermal + thyroid on the net yields refs to a few naturopaths using glandulars & homeopathics, a product called Thyroid Cream Plus. But no research found, in either human or animal medicine.

Has anyone else out there tried transdermal thyroid cream? Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid Cream???

No, haven't tried it. Haven't even thought of it... but you sure have tweaked my imagination.
The Thyroid Cream Plus... does it contain any T4 in its formula?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

I am not sure about transdermal thyroid, but I know that there are transdermals for various other hormones (birth control, testosterone, etc) and many people have hd luck using hydrocortisone cream or ointment instead of takingCortef, too, so why not thyroid?

Otherwise, what are the two doses of thyroid med that you have tried? Maybe there is an in between dose in another brand or generic or another way to reliably get the dose you seem to need. Until you find it, I can't vouch for the effectiveness of what you are doing, but if it makes you feel better, then DO IT!

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The homemade cream I make has T4, as I am grinding up some of my Synthroid ...

My primary symptoms of hypo were the muscles/tendons/joints, big time. After cking several other things, my doc said either lupus flare or fibromyalgia. I talked him into a trial of Synthroid (50 mcg. Rxd) My TSH was 3.6, & my frees were w/in the "normal range," but at the bottom of it.

I had very quick improvemt of my m/t/j issues w/the T4, about 80% improved over where I was w/those primary issues. But I started getting brain buzz/fog beyond 25 mcg. This was somewhat alleviated by mid-morning dosing after a a balanced breakfast (leaving 1.5 hrs of no food before/after dose).

Maybe I should have been greatful & just stopped there, But after 6 weeks at 50 mcg. I was curious whether a little more would take me the distance. So I bumped the dose up to 67 mcg. And lo ... 100% effective on the m/t/j! After 3 1/2 weeks however I had several consecutive days of 120 bpm heart rate & serious fatigue.

Cut back to 25 mcg. & the tachy/fatigue/brain fog disappeared w/in 1.5 days, but then the m/t/j started in again. I've heard that Synthroid has a half-life of one week, but boy, I think I metabolize it a lot quicker than that!

Anyway, at that point I started expts w/the homemade transdermal. My cream base is Nature's Plus Ultra-Rx Joint Cream -- which I've used for yrs. & which does give 10% improvement to my joints on its own, for about 3 hrs. The effect of adding in the T4 is quite different, but the base does have the transdermals that help the T4 penetrate. I don't think adding T4 to say, cold cream or Jergens hand cream would be nearly as effective. Have studied the pharmacology of transdermals abit ...

Am quite familiar w/transdermals as I've been using 3 diff hormone transdermals over the past 6 yrs. in a variety of bases, etc.

LOL Meep, people using hydrocort cream instead of Cortef ... I must confess that this past allergy season I was too poor to visit the ophthamologist & pay my $150 for an eye exam so that he could Rx "EconoPred" cortisone eyedrops costing all of $1.50. Instead I used some of "Walmart's best" Equate brand 1% hydrocort cream, applying an extremely small pencil-dot amt to the SKIN under my eyes once per day, and had total relief of my eye symptoms, which are quite severe. The allergist had been through his entire arsenal & could only give cortisone shots, which I politely decline ... I don't think I used more than 2 cents worth of hydrocort cream over the whole allergy season.

Yesterday I googled & found the commercial Thyroid cream, "Thyroid Cream Plus." It contains thyroid glandular (amt not specified) plus some homeopathic stuff. I haven't tried it & am not inclined to do so if my homemade method works ...

Thanks for your thoughts.
Lor

Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
The homemade cream I make has T4, as I am grinding up some of my Synthroid ...

My primary symptoms of hypo were the muscles/tendons/joints, big time. After cking several other things, my doc said either lupus flare or fibromyalgia. I talked him into a trial of Synthroid (50 mcg. Rxd) My TSH was 3.6, & my frees were w/in the "normal range," but at the bottom of it.

I had very quick improvemt of my m/t/j issues w/the T4, about 80% improved over where I was w/those primary issues. But I started getting brain buzz/fog beyond 25 mcg. This was somewhat alleviated by mid-morning dosing after a a balanced breakfast (leaving 1.5 hrs of no food before/after dose).

Maybe I should have been greatful & just stopped there, But after 6 weeks at 50 mcg. I was curious whether a little more would take me the distance. So I bumped the dose up to 67 mcg. And lo ... 100% effective on the m/t/j! After 3 1/2 weeks however I had several consecutive days of 120 bpm heart rate & serious fatigue.

Cut back to 25 mcg. & the tachy/fatigue/brain fog disappeared w/in 1.5 days, but then the m/t/j started in again. I've heard that Synthroid has a half-life of one week, but boy, I think I metabolize it a lot quicker than that!

Anyway, at that point I started expts w/the homemade transdermal. My cream base is Nature's Plus Ultra-Rx Joint Cream -- which I've used for yrs. & which does give 10% improvement to my joints on its own, for about 3 hrs. The effect of adding in the T4 is quite different, but the base does have the transdermals that help the T4 penetrate. I don't think adding T4 to say, cold cream or Jergens hand cream would be nearly as effective. Have studied the pharmacology of transdermals abit ...

Am quite familiar w/transdermals as I've been using 3 diff hormone transdermals over the past 6 yrs. in a variety of bases, etc.

LOL Meep, people using hydrocort cream instead of Cortef ... I must confess that this past allergy season I was too poor to visit the ophthamologist & pay my $150 for an eye exam so that he could Rx "EconoPred" cortisone eyedrops costing all of $1.50. Instead I used some of "Walmart's best" Equate brand 1% hydrocort cream, applying an extremely small pencil-dot amt to the SKIN under my eyes once per day, and had total relief of my eye symptoms, which are quite severe. The allergist had been through his entire arsenal & could only give cortisone shots, which I politely decline ... I don't think I used more than 2 cents worth of hydrocort cream over the whole allergy season.

Yesterday I googled & found the commercial Thyroid cream, "Thyroid Cream Plus." It contains thyroid glandular (amt not specified) plus some homeopathic stuff. I haven't tried it & am not inclined to do so if my homemade method works ...

Thanks for your thoughts.
Lor
Is there any other transdermals creams out there you can mix synthroid in..Im tempted to give this a shot..Sounds great!!!

Old 07-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Using food-grade grain alcohol alone will help absorption a little. If using alcohol as a solvent, DO NOT USE METHANOL. DO NOT USE rubbing alcohol. Use only pure, unflavored distilled food-grade drinkable spirits. You will only need a few drops to dissolve the powder.

MSM is supposed to help the absorption. It is derived from DMSO, one of the most powerful organic solvents known.

MCT oil, which is a coconut derivative, has transdermal properties. You would want to get the plain unflavored pure MCT oil -- most of what you find at a health food store is orange colored & highly flavored.

Anyone trying this should GO SLOW. Dissolve only a tiny bit -- just a few mcg of T4, mix into the cream, apply, and see how it goes. DO NOT apply a topical thyroid cream to the chest area, where it may overstimulate the heart.

A better method might be to ask your doc to write an Rx for a compounding pharmacy to fill -- they have a number of transdermal bases, creams & gels.

The idea behind most transdermals is that the active drug gets absorbed into the fat cells just below the skin, and is slowly released into the blood stream, but will act on a local area first.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmhar
Using food-grade grain alcohol alone will help absorption a little. If using alcohol as a solvent, DO NOT USE METHANOL. DO NOT USE rubbing alcohol. Use only pure, unflavored distilled food-grade drinkable spirits. You will only need a few drops to dissolve the powder.

MSM is supposed to help the absorption. It is derived from DMSO, one of the most powerful organic solvents known.

MCT oil, which is a coconut derivative, has transdermal properties. You would want to get the plain unflavored pure MCT oil -- most of what you find at a health food store is orange colored & highly flavored.

Anyone trying this should GO SLOW. Dissolve only a tiny bit -- just a few mcg of T4, mix into the cream, apply, and see how it goes. DO NOT apply a topical thyroid cream to the chest area, where it may overstimulate the heart.

A better method might be to ask your doc to write an Rx for a compounding pharmacy to fill -- they have a number of transdermal bases, creams & gels.

The idea behind most transdermals is that the active drug gets absorbed into the fat cells just below the skin, and is slowly released into the blood stream, but will act on a local area first.
This is interesting I was unaware compouding Pharmacy's could do this..Well im going to try it..Im having so much trouble tolerating thyroid meds by mouth..Maybe I will have better luck with it absorbing threw the skin with less side effects..Thanks for the information... : )

Closed Thread