HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   swollen eyelids?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/307702-swollen-eyelids.html)

ASDGRMama 07-25-2005 08:48 AM

swollen eyelids??

Hello! I was going to reply to nastihashi's drooping eyelid thread but as I read realized mine isn't like what they're describing.

On that thread myasthenia gravis was mentioned. I was tested for that because of limb weakness and drooping eyelids. I can open them wider but it takes effort. It looks like I'm half-asleep most of the time (or just trying to look very seductive :rolleyes: ). The test was negative.

My daughter (who's 9) was looking at my eyes the other day and said my eyelids looked swollen. So I got up and looked; I realized that they do look swollen (not hugely swollen just enough to notice). Is it possible that the swelling would cause the droopy look?

What about hypoT would cause this? I do have a lot of weakness but I'm not sure if it's related to that or the swelling or both.

Does anyone else experience this? The only other swelling I have is in my hands and only in the morning.

Thanks for any help.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

P.S. Will this go away with treatment?

ASDGRMama 07-27-2005 09:40 PM

Re: swollen eyelids??

Still wondering if anyone has experience with this. Could it be the same thing the others mentioned in the drooping eyelid thread?

Both of mine are the same and I can move them just fine. I never have one that droops more than the other. Like I said they just look half open all the time.

Anyone have any insight?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

CRL201 07-28-2005 04:58 AM

I exercise five days a week and drink LITERS of water every day... and yet every morning my top eyelids are horribly swollen... it takes about eight hours to go down. Wake up the next and and it's the same thing all over again. Sometimes my lower eyes as well. I KNOW it's directly related to salt... cause it's worse when I even use a bit of table salt. HOWEVER, there are days where I'm certain my sodium intake is next to nothing... which leaves me at a loss.

Changedusername 07-28-2005 05:54 AM

Mine could be just swollen too. I am not sure myself. It looks noticably droopy though and its not all the time and I get it only on 1 side. I go through these wacky periods of what feels like really hypo when I notice them. When I feel hyper, my eyes are wide open. Edema and swollen lids is a hypo symptom but drooping is apparantly something else on its own. Who knows? My doc told me to see a neurologist to get this checked out.

ladyofmirkwood 08-19-2005 09:53 AM

hey ive been having the same problem for about 4 years now i know its caused by peroxide, and certain eyeshadows however with these even removed i still from time to time if i work myself too hard get the swollen upper eyelids it all started when i died my hair and got mono eversince ive had 50 mono relapses every time i get swollen eyelids when i get sick because my immune system is very bad. i have tried a steroid cream for my lids called elidel perscription by the doctor it does help and cold compreses for 20 min when it occurs like yours it goes down by the time its time to sleep. u may want to look into mono and that cream thats about all i can figure to do and it sucks but going to bed early seems to help tremendously building up ur immune system and not pushing too hard with the exercise.

merrillin 08-19-2005 09:59 AM

Kel,
I too had the swollen or puffy eyelids. I was just talking to a friend of mine this morning and we were talking about this................she said her eyes look puffy. My mother in law has the same thing too. ( we all have nodules and hypo). My eyes have gone back to looking totally normal since I had the dumb thing out. I look totally different now than I did 3 weeks ago, it is amazing. I know the hypo causes fluid retention as well.

Karen

Kali M 08-19-2005 10:07 AM

Kel,

People with thyroid problems (esp hypothyroidism) can often have facial (and specifically peri-orbital - around the eyes) edema. I've often noticed that my mother's eyes look half-closed in my wedding photos (my mother is always on the go and a very busy woman). This was about 10 years ago. We now know she had undiagnosed Hashimoto's at that time (and had probably had it for over 11 years). Her eyes look normal now.

My eyes get swollen sometimes and especially in the morning. The days that they stay swollen are the days I feel the worst - sluggish, exhausted, SOB, sore throat, etc. I'm also being worked up to rule out (or rule in) CFS. (I also have a very high EBV - so whomever before mentioned the repetitive mono as a possible cause of the swelling...mine may be from the same thing).

Kali