It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Lore HB User
Question How can I loose weight!

Hi,

I've been trying very hard to loose weight but instead I gain, I been watching what I eat but I still gain, I have graves disease, I went from being hyper to hypo and now i'm supposively normal, my endo said i can now after being normal with my thyroid levels loose weight, does anyone have suggestion, i'm really scared because I dont want to get any larger im overweight by 65 pounds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: How can I loose weight!

Hi, I read one of your post and noticed you had RAI also. I had mine Feb 2004.

Do you happen to have a copy of your recent bloodtests? If you do, just post them here and someone can help interpret them for you.

Most of the time the doctors will say that "your bloodtests are normal" but that might not be normal for you. Your Ft4 and Ft3 need to be in the upper 1/3 of the range. Don't even worry about the TSH, as you most likely have found out that it is useless in dosing with thyroid hormone.

When you are hypo, it is almost impossible to lose the weight since your metabolism is very slow. Once you get your Frees up there in the range, it will be much easier to lose weight with diet and excercize.

Hope this helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Hey Lore,

In addition to what Lady50 has already asked and told you about labs, what type of eating program and exercise program do you follow at this point?

(Personal opinion!!!): I prefer a higher protein, lower carb diet (like South Beach) because my body will put on weight so quickly with carbs. All the women in my family are this way. I lose weight VERY slowly with higher protein/lower carb diet and LOTS of exercise. I don't lose at all with "normal" eating (American Dietary Association - old pyramid style) and only small exercise. Just my body and my genes.

Small steps, good support, and healthy lifestyles are all important. (I'm sure you know this). Be REALLY brutally honest with yourself and write down EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth for a week. (It's harder to stick to "good" dieting for a week than for a few days - that's why I suggest a week - brings out the weaknesses you might not really be aware of). I also found that if I stop eating after supper (absolutely NO night snacks), I've tended to lose more easily. Someone told me that a long time ago, but I assumed since I eat so few calories a day, it didn't matter when I ate them. Seems (for me anyway) it does!

Hang in there! Good luck and keep in touch.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
(female)

mama22boys HB User

Hi,

Before I say how I lost my weight, I need to say that I have not had RAI.

The way that I lost weight was by counting calories. I made it super simple. I bought a notebook and kept track of all calories consumed. It takes a 3500 deficit in calories to lose 1 lb. So if you normally take in 2000 calories and cut your caloric intake down to 1500. There is 500 calories. That means it will take a week to lose a lb. But if you add in exercise and drinking lots of water. You may lose a little extra.

I used little tricks that made losing weight easier. I ate 5 to 6 meals per day. That is counting some snacks as little mini meals. This was key for me. I did not eliminate any foods. I refused to do some kind of diet that I would get tired of and just revert back to my old ways. Instead I just cut back. By cutting back, you are already cutting down on fat. I did not count fat grams.

I hope you find what works for you.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Hi Mama,

And I would agree completely with you (as I think yours is the right way to do things), except I think some folks have some resistance to weight loss no matter how low the calories and how much the exercise. So, even though I'd strongly suggest to anyone that they follow exactly what you did, I'd suggest they (esp. folks with thyroid issues) be aware that weight loss MAY come a little more slowly to them.

Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

KCThy HB User

OK, this may be random, but I'm going to give it my simple shot.

While I had hashi's and didn't know it (becoming hypo), I gained weight (and alot of it - 40 lbs over 3 years)..........I've given it some thought and here's what I came up with:

Not only was my thyroid not getting my metabolism going, I found my appetite increasing. WEIRD, well not really!

I had NO ENERGY to do the daily chores, whether at work or at home; so with that lack of energy; came a sort of sense of "failure" or "the best I can do is eat carbs to get back my energy" brought on truly by the thyroid's unproductiveness...... Following that, came the urge to eat, which (although not truly hungry), I would eat MORE carbs and I would actually have a burst of energy that would last for 20 minutes followed by exhaustion!

Then, I got diagnosed and put on levoxyl (2 months later had a TT), have lost 10 lbs in 2 mo's so far, and energy is back without food! I don't crave carbs anymore with the levoxyl (thyroxine?) replacement. As a matter of fact, I'm back to where I was 10 years ago as far as appetite and energy go!

OK, WAY long story short, find a doc who will trust you!

Last edited by KCThy; 07-28-2005 at 02:16 AM.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
(female)

Lore HB User

Thank You all for your suggestion, I'm currently working on my calorie count and what goes in my mouth, I'm in a 1200 calorie per day but its been very hard. I'm just scared that it might not work and just get bigger. But thank you for your support.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
(female)

Lore HB User

KCThy

Unfortunate levoxyl made me sick, im currently on synthroid, i dont know what the diffrence is but i felt better with synthroid. I figured that once I was ok I would start loosing weight but thats not the case with me.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
(female)

Bocci HB User

I tried for years to lose weight...counted calories, low carb-type, I tried it all. I spent every day exercising, as a matter of fact, I spent almost the entire year of 2004 training to run a marathon, (26.2 miles). Combined with running 20-30 miles each week for almost 12 months, AND watching my diet, you'd think I'd be skinny-minny. NOPE! As a matter of fact, I reached my highest weight about 2 months after the marathon. (It wasn't muscle, either, since my clothes were fitting tight).

This is when I had extensive blood tests run, which resulted in showing my T4/TSH levels were SLIGHTLY low. My doctor put me on 10 mcg/day of Cytomel, and I've lost 10 pounds in the past 3 months. (I've not run, by the way, in 4 months.) Most importantly, my clothes are fitting loose, so I know I lost inches.

Besides the weight loss, my moods have improved DRAMATICALLY. I don't feel as much anxiety/stress as I previously did. I was having terrible mood swings/depression/outbursts.

Good luck to you in your weight loss....I know how tough it can be.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Lore - hang in there. Honestly, I've been to many really good nutritionists, and many will tell you (at least for my height of 5'4") that you shouldn't go under about 1200 because your body starts going into "starvation mode." (But, we all know that when we are hypo our bodies aren't acting normally anyway). Just would caution you about going any lower. Certainly don't go below 1000!!! And, I couldn't agree with you more - it's DAMN hard! Doesn't it feel sometimes your body is revolting? Whatever you do, try to be sure you do it healthy! Those habits will then stay with you once your body gets straightened out. Do you exercise? Even walking 30 minutes a day could help make a BIG difference! (And help mood too).

KCThy - Oh My Gosh!! I'm EXACTLY like you. Are you a long-lost twin? I've done the same thing in the past - felt horribly fatigued so, (even though I LIVE by high protein/low carb), I'd go for a few crackers or even just some fruit and then start absolutely craving carbs. I know all folks are not like this - but isn't it interesting when you find someone else who has that same reaction? What is it? Our genes? Our metabolism? (these are the mysteries I fear will never be solved because many endocrinologists and GP's just think we have no will power). BTW - what's a TT?

My hunger is always bad at night. I've looked at every aspect of my life, diet, psyche...but I swear - it's either endocrinological or genetic. (My mom tell's me she has the same thing - but she's got AMAZING willpower). I have to admit, I've used Phentermine to help control my night hunger, but I really, honestly don't recommend diet drugs to anyone if they can do it on their own!! I just don't think lots of drugs are the answer. I've had to stop exercising in all ways except walking, so my weight has been REALLY hard to keep off.

Bocci - WOW. Marathons and marathon training. You have my admiration. And yeah, I'd think training like that WOULD make you a bean-pole. Weren't you tired with all that? I'm glad you found someone willing to listen to you and be open-minded about treating you. (Why did you stop running?)

Kali

Old 07-29-2005, 02:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

I'll just chime in here and say I had terrible carb cravings too before my nodule was discovered - and now - under treatment with synthroid, I still can't eat over 800-1000 calories or I gain....I gained a total of 60, lost 35 on the synthroid, but don't think the rest is going to go anywhere....I too have been less active with the fatigue...but I try to do some kind of exercise 2-3 a week - not much - but about all I can do....Used to be really active before this hit - and could eat anything and everything! But no more - it's taken a long time to adjust.....
Kali - I have back problems too (I see your IDET) and foot problems so walking is out...
Best of luck to everyone - it's so reassuring that I was not the only one craving doughnuts all the time after I never had before!
Take care,
Kathy

Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Hey Kathy,

Thanks for the warning. I'm trying to simply hope for better general health and some relief of the muscle and ligament aches and pain and injuries so I can get back to exercising more. I know I can very gradually take the weight off with (like you) an 800-1000 diet and exercise. (Lore - I don't recommend 800!!!).

It's important to be sure I keep realistic expectations with this! (I did get an okay from my doc today to start replacement and my first script - thank god!)

Yeah, lol...the IDET was lovely....NOT!!! It was quite horrid and my recover (which was suppose to be only a max of 6 months) was a year. And even then, I only got back to my starting point (prior to the IDET). I think some of my pain is related to low IGF-1 (growth hormone) and low thyroid. We'll see if the thryoid replacement eventually helps. Has your back pain gotten any better with thyroid tx?

Congrats btw on the weight loss! I know it's probably not where you want it, but 30 lbs is a TERRIFIC achievement. I gained 20, then lost about 17, then have gained a few back once my health just bottomed out. It's hard given our genes, isn't it?

Kali

Old 07-30-2005, 12:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Kali,
Yes 800 cal is a bit extreme and I've read about the "starvation mode" but it was working and I lost about 10 lbs (that I had regained this spring)!

Come to think of it, my back pain has been better since being on synthroid - I don't know if it's because i'm a lot less active or not - but I hadn't even thought of the synthroid helping! Thanks!! Now I have another thing I can look to to see improvement!! I have not had IDET or any back surgery, but my hubby had the IDET. It helped him immensely and he recovered quickly (but he always heals fast) - He ended up having to have a facet x-ray guided injection series about a year after the IDET, but since then has been pain free! Isn't that a miracle?? I never hear about people getting rid of lower back pain! But he seems to have - he does tons of crunches (little sit-ups) everyday and I think that has something to do with it too....

Thanks for your encouragement on the weight loss - it's not easy, but part of the problem was changing my image in my mind from a body that was 117 lbs to one that was 175 lbs - it took my mind longer to catch up and accept it and adjust to it...

Sorry about your back pain - I can certainly relate - hope it will improve! Glad you are close to your starting weight!

Best wishes,
Kathy

Closed Thread