It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

Trish558 HB User
Nodule tenderness & electric current

Two months ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s. After several years of extreme fatigue, but always making an excuse for it, I went to an Endo when I discovered 2 lumps on my neck. They were not painful, but I could feel them when I swallowed. After a thyroid scan I was told I have a possible cyst and nodule. My TSH was only 4.1 but my TPO was over 2000. I was put on .50 Levethroid and now am on .75. Since being put on medication I have had some good days and some very bad days. On the days that I am very tired, I feel like I have an electric current running through my body. My body temp is usually in the 97’s. It never reaches 98.6. The last couple of days the 2 lumps in my neck have become very tender to the touch. They actually hurt when I swallow. I have scheduled a doctor’s appointment for next week. I was wondering if there are any of you that can relate to my experience. Are your nodules sore?? Do any of you experience the buzzing, electric current feeling that I have when I am very tired?? Could it be a result of the high TPO count?? I am so tired of being tired. :-) Thanks!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
(female)

KCThy HB User
Re: Nodule tenderness & electric current

Trish,
Everyone experiences things or describes them differently! I had hashi's with a nodule on both sides. I've never had a thyroid scan. Is that an ultrasound? That's what I had...

Did your doctor change your meds within 2 months? Are you on a generic thyroxine replacement? Also, did your doc check your FreeT4 or FreeT3?

When I run hypo, my body temp was 96.5 - 97.5, it was NEVER normal, I tried 3 different thermometers - thought they were always wrong!

I've learned that the body temp is a great identifier of where your body is at, but try taking first thing when you wake up before moving, drinking anything......

At first when you are put on meds, your body will react; 2-3 weeks after starting .050 mcg levoxyl, my pulse would get up to 120-130, but it only lasted a week or two, and then it all came around!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I get the EXACT same thing and everyone thinks I am nuts. I think it is actually a tremor but I too have described it like someone is zapping the back of my knees and hamstrings with a low voltage stun gun - that is exactly what it feels like. It can go on for a few hours and then just disappear. When it happens, it makes my legs VERY weak to the point that it almost hurts and then it seems to disappear as quick as it comes and the second it disappears, my muscle strength seems to return.

Do you smoke by any chance?

I have found out a few things that are getting me closer to getting fixed as my numbers are almost normal too but my antibodies are sky high as well. Last check I was in the 2700 range for TPO Ab and 1200 range for TG Ab and 170 for TSI (Graves?).

I had a naturally high TBG level, which is the main transport system for thyroxine. Apparantly it is a weird inherited trait. You can ask the doc for a TBG test and TSI to check for Graves'. Additionally I have normally high Total T3 but all my other numbers are normal, except TSH which is high and fluctuates between 5.8 and 15 typically. I am not on meds at all.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #4

kgent HB User

NashtyHashi,

Wow, sounds very familiar... the electrical sensations. My legs drive me crazy and feels like I have my toes stuck in an electrical outlet. I actually had an EMG and nerve velocity test with a Neuro and found constant trimmers/spasms in my legs.

He said he sees this quite a bit from thyroid patients, and usually requires some type of med change. Imagine an Neuro doc saying that instead of and Endo!

Now, here is what I have found about this. Too much T4 via Levoxyl causes me anxiety and muscles spasms. Too much Armour with it's T3 causes sedation of said muscles and weakness. I really think it is some out-of-balance issue of T4 to T3 meds. What meds are you are on, just curious to compare? I take both Levoxyl and Armour.

Any way, the problem I have with them is that they cause pain not the days I have them, but the following day. Muscles will ache and be sore, and feel like I have bench pressed 200 pounds constantly the day before.

-HashiGent

Old 07-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #5

kgent HB User

Oh, and I also use tobacco.... Have tried quitting several times since being diagnosed and always felt worse on top of the already feeling like garbage....

Just feel like my body can't handle all the changes at once.... that and I feel like this is the last vice I have for dealing with life issues and this disease.

-HashiGent

Old 07-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I dip (use chew tobacco) and have been trying to quit and I think I notice a correlation between these shocks and the amount of tobacco I had the day before. Its almost like withdrawing or something, but not quite. I am on no meds whatsoever due to my numbers.

My last labs were as follows:

TSH 9.008 .4 - 5.5
T4 Tot. 7.400 4.5 - 12.0
T3 tot 1.720 .70 - 1.79
Free T4 0.900 .80 - 1.8
Free T3 3.560 2.30 - 4.20
TPO Ab 768.000 00 - 74
TG Ab 2064.000 00 - 39
TSI 1.7 TSI 00 - 00

As you can see all my antibodies, including Graves' TSI are all way out of range but my thyroid levels are ok but fluctuate wildly so the doc didnt want me on meds. As you can see, my T3 total is almost always pretty high and recently my TBG was out of range high as well, which could account for the high T3.

I also agree witht he stresses of this disease and trying to quit tobacco. Its brutal. In fact with all the stress I tend to use more and it makes things even worse. Tobacco is known to really raise those antibodies.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

My doctor tested my thyroid level and it came back normal but i have all the symptoms of a low functioning thyroid. when i questioned the normal results she then checked my throat, made me swallow a few times, and said the right side was very enlarged.

i am going for an sonogram on monday . what id like to ask is, about these electrical shocks that i feel thru my body. is that part of thyroid problem? i also have fibromyalgia. also would like to ask this. Twice before, i have felt (on the right side where she said it was enlarged) a huge LUMP when ive been under stress.

First time was two months ago when my poodle was dying and in the middle of the night we rushed her to the vet emergency room. I was holding her in my lap crying when i suddenly felt like i was being strangled. The right side of my throat started growing (on the inside), swelling i guess. I could feel this huge golf size thing in my throat and when i swallowed it made such an ugly clicking sound like it was swollen. second time was when i left to austin cause a hurricane was coming our direction and i had to leave my mom and dad behind because they didnt want to leave, and i was extremely nervous about that. As we were driving i was worried and started to feel this huge lump in my throat, the right side again just grow. same clicking sound, very uncomfortable. is this due to thyroid problem? has anyone here with thyroid problem had the same symptom, the huge lump in the throat when under severe stress?
thank you for your help.
jen

Old 07-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #8

kgent HB User

NastyHashi,

Interesting, I’m a dipper also. Skoal Key is my personal addicted choice. I’m pretty sure that chewing tobacco either caused or was a contributing factor to me developing hashi’s. I kick myself everyday for this wondering if I caused my own due suffering.

Although thyroid disease runs in my family, I’m the only one who developed hashimoto’s, the only one that complains about the symptoms of the disease, and the only one who cannot get regulated on meds. Also, I know three males at work that have thyroid disease and non have ever noticed any symptoms/problems. And none of them use tobacco either.

I just keep dipping myself into the grave with the damn tobacco dirt…. I started dipping at a very young age, around 14 if I recall. No wonder I ended up here today...

It’s not always the fearful mouth cancer that gets one, but the hidden diseases. And we must admit that chewing tobacco brings a whole different set of issues than smoking, due to the higher nicotine levels. And dippers tend to carry the dirt between their cheek and gum all day, as opposed to the occasionally nicotine hits by smokers.

Your antibodies are real high just like mine, although mine are confined to the hashi’s. Have you had a Thyroid Uptake/Scan conducted to see how much damage their might be there to the thyroid gland. You may have a hot nodule with the rest of the thyroid trying to function around this nodule, and this also causing TSH and thyroid hormone feedback loop problems. The hot nodule may spurt up or down depending on iodine intake for example. But it very well could be swings just due to intermittent damage as well.

My TSH still fluctuates wildly, and have been unable to get it stabilized on meds, been trying for 8 years. My T4’s tend to run a little high, unlike your T3’s. As you probably know, your free T4 is a little low which could indicate that your body has stepped up the de-ionizing process to make more T3 available. Sometimes it’s not a conversion issue.
As you are probably doing, I would keep an eye on things until the thyroid gland either burns out or stabilizes, hope for the stabilized normal.

Here is an example of one of my thyroid swing flairs:

TSH 3.81 ( .35 - 5.5)
F T3 4.36 H (2.30 - 4.20)
F T4 1.9 H (.8 to 1.8)
Total T3 102 (60 – 181)
Total T4 12.1 H (4.5 - 12.0)

I’m sure the dip adds to these thyroid hormone swings, and as you stated causes all sorts of antibody issues. And I don’t know how much of feeling like crap is related to the thyroid disease or the tobacco.

( removed - please read and follow the posting rules )

-HashiGent

Last edited by moderator2; 07-29-2005 at 05:22 AM. Reason: 07-28-2005, 11:08 PM Hashigent Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2004 Posts: 21 Re: Nodule tenderness & electric current NastyHashi, Interesting, I’m a dipper also. Skoal Key is

Old 07-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #9

kgent HB User

Forgot to mention, the Neuro said that my electrical shock sensations could very well be the tobacco. Said he sees people come in with this issue just from caffeine, and once they stop so does the electricity. I was blaming the electrical stuff on thyroid, like I always due blaming the thyroid for it. But glad you brought this up. I’m thinking it is the tobacco now or magnified by it. I’m not sure how much I’m chewing from day today, will keep an eye on it to see the correlations.

-HashiGent

Old 07-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

Trish558 HB User

Thanks, to you who responded! Over the last several weeks I had been reading posts, but never saw one regarding the electrical feeling I have in my body when I am extremely fatigued. What a relief to know I'm not crazy. :-) When I have this sensation I feel so weak that I think I could actually fall out of my chair! The 2 nodule/cysts that I have, which were not painful at all when first diagnosed, are now very sore, especially when I swallow. Have any of you experienced this after starting medication??? I was tired and tingling before, but at least I didn't hurt anywhere. Now I'm still tired, still tingling and my neck hurts! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
(female)

Trish558 HB User

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I do not smoke or dip.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #12

kgent HB User

Well,

I don't see my post so will post again.

Jen,

Does the clicking occur only once and go away, or click continously for awhile. Does it click with your heart beat?

This clicking is probably related to either pressure on the epiglottis
or the epiglottis becoming out of sync. The epiglottis is only
suppost to move during swalling actions of eating or drinking, so it
may be getting mixed signals and opening providing a sound medium
of the throat. Or just in a slow spasm that clicks.

My throat clicked when I first was diagnosed with thyroid disease.
Clicked with my heart beat while lying in bed to go to sleep. Have
heard other thyroid patients discuss this throat clicking.

-HashiGent

Last edited by Hashigent; 07-28-2005 at 08:43 PM.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 PM   #13

kgent HB User

Trish,

Before meds, had no electrical problems, no muscle aches and pains all over, no feeling like absolute garbage.... Been on meds for a long time and have never been the same since. Not to discourage others... I just either can't get the meds to work for me, tried all the brands, or I simply went undiagnosed for too long, or yet have some unkown disease or issue... one could be my chewing habit.... just don't know but do know meds have not gave me my life back

Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

hashigent,
thanks for responding hon. no the clicking only occured when i got the "lump" feeling in my throat during those two times that i felt under stress and got this huge golf size feeling lump in my throat. i couldnt swallow, it was like i had to force myself to swallow saliva and when id swallow there was a huge clicking sound. almost like my throat was swollen and the saliva just couldnt get thru. the clicking sound stopped after a while on both occasions as soon as the lump went away. tho it took the lump an hour or so for it to go down. after that my right side of the throat area felt a bit sore, not painful , just sore.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
(female)

df22002003 HB User
electricity and lyme

I have had feelings of electricity running through my body. It would happen when I ate. I always thought it was from Lyme disease.

Closed Thread