It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User
Kicking over the coffee table

Hi Guys:

I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight with something. I tend to frighten easier than usual since this whole TD thing started a year ago.

The other night...I woke myself up screaming. Last night I was watching a scarey movie with my foot rested on the edge of the coffee table, when I got so startled. The next thing I new the entire coffee table went hurtling through the air and very nearly ended up in the the TV tube. At the same time, I let out such a deep throated scream...I think I injured my companion's eardrums.

This even happen today, when I heard the car door slam I was in the house.

What do you think is causing this? Is there a cure? I really feel like a crazy over-reactive fool.

~S

Old 07-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Kicking over the coffee table

I think that's part of the fun of thyroid disease. Someone says "BOO!" and I jump out of my skin. Always on edge and shakey nervous. Forget about getting into a near car wreck or something. My heart will pound so hard for about an hour after the incident.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I agree still get days like that a year on with medications its so scary

Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

okay thanks guys...now I know its not just me.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

I can relate 100%!! I live in an upstairs apartment and my landlord always slams the door downstairs and i nearly jump out of my skin each time. I was never jumpy like this before TD.

I've also had some really wild dreams which have woke me up screaming. I even jumped out of my bed once while asleep and flew out and hit my temple on my dresser and needed stitches. I'm thankful it wasn't worse. I attribute it all to TD as i can't find any other logical reason for it all.

Last edited by cossette2; 08-01-2005 at 03:48 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 08-02-2005, 05:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I called these adrenalin dumps, soft and I still had them until recently. They're not really thyroid, IMHO, they're adrenal and a sign of a cortisol problem. Either too much or too little, or both; cortisol can be high in the evening and low in the morning, when it should be the opposite. High when it should be low and low when it should be high can cause insomnia, anxiety, exhaustion, and inability to cope or tolerate thyroid hormones - it's not pretty.

Mine was low in the morning, so I've been taking isocort, 2 pellets, for nearly a month and it's helped. A few of the lingering thyroid symptoms that wouldnt go away are better now, hair loss, dry skin in some areas and of course, no more startling like that.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Yes...its sometimes hard to tell the difference. As if things aren't tricky enough...right?

I've had two runs at adrenal testing. One was the bloods, the other spit. They both showed elevated in the AM and a little low in the evening. Doctors haven't really addressed it by giving me anything to correct it...except Adreset, Ginseng and Seriphos.

I did try Isocort on my own and can't say I felt a difference...but then again, I'm more with it than I was then.

There is another test in the pipeline right now...don't know if it will help with any "actionable intelligence." Its a cortisol FREE test (as opposed to totals). I had never heard of it so I'm not sure of its usefullness, although it sounds promising.

We shall see.

Thanks Gopher....

~S

Old 08-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Hmmm, cortisol free would have been similar to the spit tests, Soft. Saliva testing is free testing, that's why it's so superior to serum.

High in the am and lower than wanted in the evening would account for the reactions. The thing with adrenals is that if you require help you need it for a while, months, years, etc - it's not quickly fixed.

Good luck
Nat

Old 08-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
Mine was low in the morning, so I've been taking isocort, 2 pellets, for nearly a month and it's helped. A few of the lingering thyroid symptoms that wouldnt go away are better now, hair loss, dry skin in some areas and of course, no more startling like that.
Hey Goph....is isocort a prescription or OTC? I think I've nearly exhausted the possibility that my thyroid is causing this and i'm kinda on my own as i can't find a doc who can help......so.....i'm going to go down the adrenal path. It makes complete sense that the adrenal glands in my case would be exhausted so I appreciate any help you can give.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Cossette, its OTC from the US. If you're in Canada the brokerage fees might be an issue. I get it delivered to a friend in the states and have it shipped to me. Each pellet contains 2.5mg cortisol, you're permitted a maximum of 20mgs (8 pellets). If you do go this route I'd advise some research into how to best do this - Dr's. Wilson and Teitlebaum have good advice online.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Hey Gophey:

I just bought some "ADRENAL CORTEX COMPLEX" by Enzymatic Therapy. It says it contains 250mg of adrenal cortex extract... and 150 mg of multi-glandular complex.

What are you thoughts? If my cortisol is elevated in the am and draggy in the pm...what would that indicate in terms of timing of doses?

~Soft

Old 08-04-2005, 04:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Soft, start slow with this, if it contains only cortext you should be ok, but some contain the full gland and that means there can be some adrenaline in it, which can make you very anxioius.

Based on the dose I'd take it in the morning and afternoon - too close to bed can mess with sleep. You want to take it even when cortisol is high because this allows the adrenals to rest; if you can replace a little of what they strive to make then they'll make less and heal.

Closed Thread