It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

elggon HB User
Thyroid & alcohol tolerance?

This may be a weird question, but how does alcohol affect you guys since your thyroid problems started? I'm 23 years old and me any my friends really like to go out, but it seems like ever since I've started having thyroid problems I just can not drink. A few drinks leaves me feeling EXTREMELY tired and very hung over, even if I didn't drink much. And the heartburn I have the day after drinking is extremely bad!! I don't even like to go out anymore (due to ALL of my hypo symptoms) because I'm ready to lay down and nap after an hour. And of course my friends don't understand so they just think I'm being crabby or lazy............ Thanks in advance!

elggon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

tappyhappy HB User
Re: Thyroid & alcohol tolerance?

Thats funny you post this bc this was a topic of conversation for me while i was out last night, and is something that i have noticed so much lately.
I am just getting some answers on some symptoms i have been having, all my labs were normal two months ago, but my scan i had done on july 11th, the radiologists remarks were "findings suggestive of graves disease". So obviously something was out of wak with my scan. I'm going to see an endo very soon.
Anyways, since having more problems, i do notice i cannot drink like i used to be able to. It either makes me really sleepy, or i get bad anxiety. The only way i can do it is if i have lots to keep me stimulated, music people stuff to do etc.
This area has changed majorly for me. So yes, i believe it's possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I will tell you first hand from an ex lush, I actually quit drinking all together after a 12 year binge because even though I could put down 18 beers normally and barely be drunk, the hangovers were killing me. I never used to get hungover like that when I was younger while my thyroid was working. Around the same time my thyroid crapped out, the hangovers were lasting like 2 days and it was just not worth it anymore so I finally quit for good. Now that's pretty extreme cause I was quite a partier in my day from age 19 - 27. Around 27-28 my thyroid crapped out and I just couldnt do it any more. You can still go out and have a few drinks and suffer the consequences. Just don't go out and get hammered every night and make sure you eat well to compensate for the damage the booze does to your already compromised system. I still miss it though. Just had a party for my 2 year old yesterday and I got a totally stocked cooler of ice cold beer floating in ice water in my kitchen and I'll tell you every time I walk by that damned thing I want to reach in a pop off a few shotguns.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
(female)

elggon HB User

I'm laughing out loud nastyhashi, your reply is so funny I was drinking every weekend after I turned 21 and I was fine, hangovers and all, but I had a high tolerance. Right on my 22nd bday I started having these thyroid flare-ups. And since then my symptoms have got worse, and so has my intolerance for drinking. Last night we were out and I wanted to laydown at the bar and sleep How pathetic. And a few weeks ago we went canoeing and drank during the day, and I was soooo hungover at 7pm that I had to go to bed....that the heck!?!?!?! I feel like I'm 90years old.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Was at wedding Saturday lm still suffering today l didnt feel 'drunk at time' lol

Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
(female)

karihager1982 HB User

Around the time when I believe my thyroid problem started, I could no longer drink.

I was never big on drinking to begin with, but when I was out with friends, or family, I would like to enjoy one or two drinks.

Now, if I even take one sip of alcohol, I break out in a weird rash, if feels as if my face and skin is swelling up, and I get extrememly hot! I don't know what causes it, but I think it may have something to do with my thyroid.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 08-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

For me, I feel like it takes much less to become intoxicated. (I am hypo)

Old 08-01-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I got drink at all. If i take a sip of alcohol i start to sweat profusely and get hot. I also get very dizzy.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

oh me too... very hot and sweaty

Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Darn! - Haven't had a drop of alcohol in 10 years - had thyroid disease for the last 2 years - was thinking maybe drinking would help reduce the stress and raise the HDL! Guess it's not going to do that anymore!! Interesting you should post this today - I was just talking to my hubby about it! Thanks for the warning - no point in messing up 10 years at this point then I guess!

Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

softcrush HB User

Perhaps someone can answer this related question: Once optimized, can a person metabolize alcohol again in the same way they did before (when they had a fully operational gland)?

Just trying to have something to look forward to.

~S

Old 08-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
(female)

elggon HB User

I'm not sure about that softcrush, but I really hope so! The stress from this disorder is enough to send someone into a drinking binge.....lol. Just kidding of course!

elggon

Old 08-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I'll be the first to test that theory, that's for sure. Although I will not turn into a lush again, the occasional Vodka and Iced Tea will be quite pleasing hanging out by the pool on a Sunday. MMMmmmm Smirnoff!

I know this sounds totally insane and alcoholic-like, but I swear my body needs booze to function correctly. I quit drinking around the same time as getting diagnosed and I swear my cholesterol shot up and I felt like crap - this is almost 2.5 years now booze-free. The beers kept me mellow, upbeat, positive and was just plain fun which made everything else seem fun.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User

I like a glass of wine or two cause it helps me sleep. I haven't had any for the past few nights and have not sleeped a wink. I wanted to see if I quit for awhile I might make my body not so tired. But not sleeping makes me tired too. I just don't know what is worse the wine or not sleeping. LOL Need less to say, I am hoarding coffee like crazy! I think since I am small, I can't drink too much and it does reek havoc on my body so I think for now I guess I will have to get used to it.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

SadFreek HB User

well, today is my birthday. I am hypo and had 6 shots, 2 jellos shots and 4 beers in one hour. Needless to say I feel horrible and I'm on Levoxyl.

I was so trashed last night. So, my point is, I never had much of a tolerance. and it Hasnt changed since being on Levoxyl.

Closed Thread