It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

Amy42601 HB User
Arrow Thyroid and anger?

Hi

I've been recently diagnosed with hypo, and I was wondering if anybody else had "issues" with extreme anger due to their conditions? Mine just seems to have gotten out of hand lately. One minute I'm fine, the next the smallest thing sets me off and I'm raging. Then I'm fine again! It's scaring the patooties out of my son! And me as well if I'm honest!

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

karihager1982 HB User
Re: Thyroid and anger?

I just found out in June of this year that I am Hypo.

I also have anger issues, and I noticed that they started around the time I suspected a thyroid disorder (4-5 years ago).

Like you - I would be fine one moment, but if the slightest thing irritated me, I would blow up. (I still do - but I am trying my hardest to control it.)

This behavior is NOT normal for me - as I am typically an easy-going, laid-back kinda gal. If most people I knew saw my 'anger outbursts', they would probably be shocked.

My doctor has prescribed me Synthroid, but I cannot start taking the meds until after my Thyroid Scan next week.

Once I start taking the pills, I want to see if this helps a little with this problem.

Good luck to you - from someone who is currently in the same position.
- Kari

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

Amy42601 HB User

Thanks, Kari!

Gosh, it makes me feel loads better someone else is having this experience too! I thought it was only me. It's not "like" me either. I never used to be like this and it's tearing me to bits now because it's affecting my son. Like you, I'm trying super hard to control it. I only hope that my meds will help it too! I'm on 50mcgs of Levothyroxine and just started, so I'm sure I've got a bit to go before I see any results.

Thanks again! You've made me feel better!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I had severe anxiety and panic when mine started. These thyroid issues will wreck havoc on your emotions! Best of luck and know that you are not going crazy!

Karen

Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

With me it's irritability. Things which used to not bug me so much before really, really get on my nerves now. I really have to count to ten and try to relax sometimes. I sometimes think I'll never see the old me ever again. This is becoming old hat in my family in the last decade as my mom has alzheimers and is only a shell of what she used to be and my sister has paranoid schizophrenia so she's just a part of what she used to be too. What can i say.....it's not easy.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I have severe panic and anxiety as well as the irritability. I notice alot of the times that I have several mood swings in a day. I am always edgy and the littlest things get on my nerves as well. Best of luck, hang in there.
Take Care
Fae

Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
Same thing here - before I was diagnosed I had almost a complete personality change - I was rageful at everything and everyone - Fortunately my husband stayed and we found out I had thyroid nodules. I went on synthroid almost two years ago - and it got much better - however, lately I've been having trouble again with irritability and mood swings and what I call the nasties! Somtimes I can't stand myself! My thyroid has been shrinking and the number of nodules decreasing - so you would think I am getting better - but I think the changes are throwing my emotions for a loop....it's a strange illness....but they are also adjusting my synthroid dose with the decreases in the nodules so maybe that's a factor too....so don't feel alone!! There are many of us who understand! Hope you feel better soon...
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 08-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #8
(female)

robinhy HB User

Anxiety, panic, irritability, anger issues...whats the dif? In any case it's been a big issue for me. Had to quit my job because i was yelling and going crazy with one of my colleagues (although she deserved it ...of course). I figured I would quit while I was still ahead. But its also an issue with my 6 year old daughter. I've had several days where I've had to lock myself in my bedroom for her sake. It's getting better. I really want to work again, actually I need to work again, need the money. But I can't always be sure what person I will be when I wake up each day so I'm afraid to work just yet.

So...does it really get better.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 PM   #9
(female)

martians HB User

WOW!!!! The more i read on this board the more i feel i'm not alone. I too have had anger issues etc, the same, one minute fine then the next watch out. The Dr put me on antidepressants, thinking it was depression, then on epilim thinking i needed mood suspression. Now i'm trying to wean myself off the antidepressants and then getting my THS and T3/T4 in sync with eachother and me.

Good luck and know we are all in the same boat and keep sharing
Nel

Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
(male)

popsandfriends HB User

Im wondering if I have Hypothyroidism now. Lately, little things will set me into rage. A cd didnt burn on my computer properly yesterday, i almost ripped the bay out and crush the CD in my bare hands! No joke! It's been getting worse too, small things making me angry. Also, tonight my feet are real cold, ice, and its 63 degrees out and im under 3 blankets! My head always feels "full", my neck is always achy or stiff, i have bad dandruff and easily indentable skin.

I really do hope im not Hypo, and just crazy

Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 AM   #11
(female)

Anju20 HB User

I was diagnosed with hashi/hypo 2 years ago and currently taking synthroid. The smallest little thing will irritate me and I will get really angry, want to throw or hit my fist on something, and then I will start crying. Inside I know this is not anything to get upset about but I just cant control myself. I just got married like 8 months ago and whenever my husband does even smallest to the smallest thing it just irritates me so much that I start my tantrum. I feel like am a 2 year old kid but I just cant control myself. he says to me I am crying everyday. I feel like I am stressed all the time cause I also have alot of pain in my shoulders and neck area. Any little thing I just get soooo stressed over and cant relax until that thing gets okay. I am worrying more now adays about everything. I dont know how to let go of even little things anymore. Can someone tell me how they let things go when they get irritated. Cause I get really really frustrated with myself now adays with the way I act. I am so glad that I am not alone here with my problems ls.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

how much synthroid on you on? I try to take two deep breaths - I leave the room so I don't take it out on my hubby - I try to do something relaxing for myself to help me not feel resentful - but I still blow up - I know exactly what you mean about knowing it's out of proportion but not being able to stop it - When they got my synthroid to a theraputic dose it helped a lot - but they've been changing my dose lately and I'm having some of it again - but not anything as bad....sorry you are going through this and you certainly aren't alone.....hang in there!!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #13
(female)

Anju20 HB User

I am currently taking .088 5 days a week and then 2 days a week I take .075. I am going to another doctor for second opinion cause this doctor makes me go little down then little up on synthroyid dose. basically, he tells me if i dont feel good then I should stay on what I am but my blood test last time said that I am in the higher range. So now I have started what I taking currently and I just got my blood test done it came in normal ranges now but I still feel I am getting more irritated and feeling hotter now days. Its hard ls. I dont know why mine is not getting stable. i know the variation is very minor but I feel its affect on my body.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Anju,
I feel all the changes too - I would probably feel the back and forth between 88 and 75....It's possible you might still need more or less - I think I got a little hyper even though it didn't show when I was on 150.....That made me short tempered too....I guess what I'm saying is there was an optimum in between for me - too much or too little and I am edgy....
Hope you can get better soon,
Kathy

Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
(female)

daisy01 HB User

i am sat here half laughing and half crying at all these posts. They are all me!!!! I left my hubby last yr as he had started to irritate the hell out of me. I even thought he was poisoning me at one stage lol. I still get so angry at the slightest thing and cry most days, but it seems easier now I have a label for this alien being I have become over the last 2 yrs. i wasnt diagnosed as hypo until june of this year. The dark moods still descend but at least my family now know why.

Closed Thread