It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Have you felt better after REMOVAL OF THYROID?

has anyone felt better after having the thyroid removed? I mean is this disease easier to treat, Like I mentioned before I had graves and then had RAi and myxedema coma, and a bunch of nodules and its been a nightmare, graves also attacks one of my eyes and its very swollen, and the worst thing is that now my levels show normal..I am seriously thinking about getting it removed.

Please tell me if any of you have found this condition much easier to treat and if the edema got better, what got better and what got worst after surgery?? I want to make sure i am making the rigth decison, any advice?

Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

marissamm HB User
Re: Have you felt better after REMOVAL OF THYROID?

hi jenny, i had a tt in dec 04 edema went down 3 days post op, my nodule was huge my thyroid was huge, 7 months later it is all better and i feel great. more energy etc. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi marissa, Thassk a bunch for your response, I am kind of excited now that I know that maybe this might help me.

I have heard that once you have antibodies attacing your thyroid that once the thyroid is out they can attack another organ? have you heard of that anyway how big was the scar and how painful was teh surgery et.. Thanks so very much for your answers

Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I just had a TT on 8/2 and I can tell you that I already notice that that big, nasty, diseased thing is gone! Oh my gosh, I don't have the extreme tiredness and bouts of nervousness. I had 2 huges nodules and pockets of water around them. This is just my humble opinion, I would get it out again in a minute. The surgery itself is not a horrible one at all. The worst part honestly was they put me on a morphine pump which made me so sick and casued me to have a serious migraine. Once they got me off that stuff I did so much better with just Lortab and ice packs.

Give it some good thought, make the rounds seeing some good surgeons and do what is best for you. I couldn't live with my thyroid anymore, it made me way too sick and my labs were always normal to boot.

Best of luck in this decision...............I spent a year trying to make it.

We are here for you.....
Karen

Old 08-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
(female)

Lynetrea HB User

Hi there,

I had my thyroid removed 2 weeks ago this pass tuesday, and it hasn't been a cake walk for me but the surgery itself, wasn't bad at all, my pain meds made me feel sick to my stomach, my surgeon was very good, and my scar looks to be very minimal at about 2inchs with me you don't even notice the scar,so that was great. My throat was sore for about 2 days, not so much due to the thyroid removal but the tube they put down my throat during the surgery. My neck pain was fixed with morphine shots and a perkacid, although the perkacid made me sick to my stomach the morphine did not. I stayed in the hospital for 1 days and about 13 hours. That was about it..for that part. My experience however is not over I think the reason I feel lousy is because I have yet to be put on any thyroid replacement medication, due to the findings of my preliminary testing, and so I have to wait and see if I need further treatment for my thyroid I am sure I would feel better if i had my medication. Study up on the surgery you will feel better about it I did, I went to every website I could find out it there out there so just look around. Whatever you decided just be informed on it, and I dont think you will go wrong.

Good Luck, and God Bless
Lynetrea

Old 08-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

marissamm HB User

my surgery wasn't too bad i did loose my voice and had vocal cord damage for 3 months, when i was in the hospital they didn't put me on a morphine pump just meds in my i.v. my scar is 8 inches it is faded now and mine was done in dec 04. last year i was so sick and tired all the time with neck ear throat pain but now its gone and all better, i look at pictures and see how big my thyroid was people used to come up to me and mention that my neck was huge, considering the complications i had with surgery i still would of had it done. the surgery itself wasn't too painful i was on tylenol the 2nd day.the complications i had were rare so don't get freaked by it. all is well now.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
(female)

marissamm HB User

my surgery wasn't too bad i did loose my voice and had vocal cord damage for 3 months, when i was in the hospital they didn't put me on a morphine pump just meds in my i.v. my scar is 8 inches it is faded now and mine was done in dec 04. last year i was so sick and tired all the time with neck ear throat pain but now its gone and all better, i look at pictures and see how big my thyroid was people used to come up to me and mention that my neck was huge, considering the complications i had with surgery i still would of had it done. the surgery itself wasn't too painful i was on tylenol the 2nd day.the complications i had were rare so don't get freaked by it. all is well now.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

marissamm HB User

Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
(female)

marissamm HB User

sorry for multi post my computer wigged

Old 08-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I feel better. I can't say I have much to compare it to- like RAI. But I feel a lot better. I still need to get regular with my meds...etc. Crashing to hypo is no walk in the park. If the surgery goes well, then there is hypo to deal with...that will no doubt be a life long battle.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 AM   #11
(female)

KCThy HB User

My doctor gave me the option of surgery. He put it like this; you can either constantly monitor your thyroid, change doses, put up with side effects of hypo/hyper or you can have the thing removed.

After a lot of research and a couple of second opinions from knowledgeable doctors in my area, I decided to have it removed. I did not make this decision quickly - as everyone else said - thoroughly research it. The most important part of your decision making is to talk with a qualified surgeon - one who does this type of surgery a lot (at least 100/year).

I had hashi's pretty bad and probably for years; a couple of nodules and a large goiter and one month post op, I am thrilled the nuisance is gone. I think we will need to tweek my meds in the next few months; but once we have found the perfect dose, that will only need to be monitored 1-2x/year. I thought that made more sense than the constant Ultrasounds, swallowing difficulty........ It actually, will have me time and money in the long run too. If you have good health insurance now and decide surgery is a good option for you, go for it. Surgery isn't too bad - mine was 1-1/2 hours and was very uneventful (thank goodness). I was feeling about 90-95% normal one week afterwards and feel really good now 1 month afterwards. Good luck to you in your research!

Karen

Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I wanted to add one more thing................please do your research on the surgeon. I know it is hard to hand pick one, but ask alot of questions, I treated them like an interview, I mean if they are going to get offended at me asking questions about my own health than they were not for me.

My surgeon was a head and neck surgeon with a speciality in vascular issues, he also was highly skilled in dealing with parathyroids. Just do your research and you will be fine.

Yesterday was only day 6 post-op and I did some light cleaning of the whole house, watered my flowers outside and did some laundry, it felt so good. I was very tired afterwards, but to be up and around before the first week is so good and I was so sick before the surgery I am better now.

Karen

Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi guys and thanks so much for your responses, I have an appt with a surgeon on aug 17th, so after that he will schedule surgery, I was told he has over 25 yrs of experince and has done many of these, so I cant wait to get to get this thing removed, i will keep you all update thx a million for your support

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Good news. I hope he can schedule you quickly so you don't have to fret over it for weeks and also so you can get on with your life. I don't know how sick you are from your thyroid, but rest assured, I was so sick with mine and I am one week post-op and I feel like a new person. That thing was dragging me down to a low I didn't grasp. I would do it again in a minute.

Keep us posted and I am so glad you got an appt with a surgeon!

Karen

Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again kant! I am so glad you are doing so good! and yes i cannot wait just last night I went to the emergency room had iv's and all, the chest pains were awful, and then today i woke up with no energy at all, cant barely even walk I am so tired my whole body hurts and I am beat up and the funny thing is i didnt do much today, its crazy I just cant wait to have energy again, anyway are you on any meds now? do they put you on a full replacement dose of synthroid after surgery?

Closed Thread