It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #1

hfm HB User
Advice--Tsh .05 free T4 and T3 below midrange

Should I be concerned that my TSH has dropped to .05? My free T4 is 1.1 (.8-1.8) making it 30% of the range and my free T3 is 240 (230-420) making it 5% of the range. I got my meds increased about 2 months ago from Armour 75 and Synthroid 50 to Armour 75 and Synthroid 100.

My previous free T4 was at about 20% and my free T3 was 10% of the range. I have been feeling irritable though my energy has definitely increased. I thought I was perhaps going hyper since my Synthroid had been doubled and I was feeling irritable but energetic, but now I think the irritability may be caused by the drop in my free T3.

I am pregnant and my OB has been following my hypothyroidism with a little unknown help from my endo. My endo increased my Armour from 60 to 75 about 3 months ago but does not know that my ob has increased my Synthroid.

What do you think my chances are of getting my Armour increased while my TSH is so low and what is a convincing argument to either doctor about how the low TSH shouldn't matter? My ob is probably less likely to increase the Armour. He seems pretty straight forward about treatment--that is, synthetic T4 is the way to go. My endo has been increasingly less willing to hear me about wanting to increase my meds until I feel good.

Does it sound likely that my irritability could be caused by the decrease in my free T3? I have not been taking any selenium though I have been intending to. I wanted to see where my free T3 was before I started. Could the selenium help my levels?

Also, I am anemic according to a recent CBC and will start taking iron. Could that help my levels? I am willing to try the selenium and iron before approaching the docs if it is likely to help get both of my levels toward the midrange.

Thanks in advance for any responses--I know I am asking a lot of questions!

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Advice--Tsh .05 free T4 and T3 below midrange

Hi Heather! Your labs look a great deal like mine (TSH of .07 and FT4 of 1.0).

My dr and endo both absolutely would not give me an increase. They both are only willing to reduce my dosage.

As for selenium, the study I read said that it is only useful in decreasing the TPO antibody titres. I have never read that it will help the free T levels. Although I can see why it might indirectly due to not having antibodies to contend with if it does indeed lower your antibody count.

Has your OB said that you might be at an increased risk for obstetric complications due to your hypothyroidism?

I have an endo that doesn't know much about preg and an OB that doesn't know much about the thyroid so I get a lot of conflicting perspectives.

I'd be interested in hearing how things progress for you. Was your hypoT controlled before you became pregnant?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 08-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #3

hfm HB User
Re: Advice--Tsh .05 free T4 and T3 below midrange

I thought I read somewhere (probably on here) that the selenium can help conversion of T4 to T3 but maybe I'm mistaken. It can't hurt to give it a try.

My group of ob's conflicts on thyroid levels in pregnancy. The one I initially saw gave me correct information that the thyroid binding globulin increases during pregnancy which can give a high total T4 result while a person has a low free T4. The next doc I saw gave me some nonsense that they don't like to have the free T4 level too high during pregnancy (I don't think he knows anything about thyroid hormones)--this while my free T4 was at 19% of the range (I wasn't asking to increase with a solid free T4 number. He did agree to increase my Synthroid at that time.

My endo didn't want to increase my meds when my tests early in my pregnancy showed rising TSH and dropping free T4. He did agree when I specifically asked but only gave me the smallest of bumps.

It doesn't seem like there is anything to be concerned about with my pregnancy since my levels are within range. It's the same old story, though, my labs are within range but I could feel better and there is room to increase. Ah, but there is my low TSH to contend with.

I don't know whether my hypothyroidism was controlled. I was never at a place where I felt my best and was only at a place where I felt okay for a few months at a time. From what I've been reading, people on the forums consistently feel better with both frees midrange or above and I've never been there) It has been under 3 years since I was diagnosed and initially my worst symptoms were better so I felt like things were good. It is only upon reflection and the input of others that makes me aware of the fact that I am so not where I was years ago from a mental and physical standpoint, just much better than I was than when I was at my worst.

I will try to get an increase either from my ob or my endo, but I am not optimistic. My low TSH I think will scare them off. My ob doesn't know anything about Armour and it's affect on TSH and my endo has become more difficult to deal with over the last year.

Sorry for running on. I'll post with any news from my next appointment.

Thanks

Closed Thread