It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

margosuperstar HB Usermargosuperstar HB User
Question will synthroid help lower my cholesterol?

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a few days and I'm still confused!
Had bloodwork done last week and I have some different issues I'm dealing with , but most importantly my doc wants to address the thyroid and elevated
cholesterol.
cholesterol 236 (120-200 MG/DL)
T4 thyroxine 0.7 (6.1-12.2 UG/DL)
T uptake 32 (32-48%)
TSH 60.53 (0.34-5.60 UIL/ML)

I started .075 mcg synthroid and I'm told it will be increased in a month. I was also told to take lipotor(sp?). However, when I researched this med ,it
clearly states that it can be very harsh on the liver. I have cirrhosis of the liver due to hepc. I did chemo and am in remission, however the damage to my liver is extensive. I'm dealing with a new doc, who doesnt seem to be as concerned about my liver as I am. My question is... I feel horrible , and have been for some time .I just assumed it was because of my liver. I was floored when I started reading everybodies symptoms here because they describe mine exactly. If synthroid is supposed to fix all these ailments, will it help lower my cholesterol? If synthroid helps my thyroid work properly, will it have a trickle down effect with other problems such as my cholesterol ?

thanx in advance,
Margaret

Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
Re: will synthroid help lower my cholesterol?

Worry about getting your thyroid back in shape first. Your cholesterol is not that far off and it should come down as your thyroid numbers improve. I tried 3 different cholesterol drugs before being diagnosed with Hashi's, and had serious problems within days of starting them. With your medical history, there's no way I'd touch Lipitor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

My cholesterol was high until I began thyroid treatment. In only a few months of taking Armour, my Cholesterol was normal.

I would try getting proper thyroid treatment - if you take care of that, your Chol. should come down.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

My vote is in agreement.
Another downside to Lipitor is that severe hypoT like yours increases the risk that the drug will cause the permanent muscle damage its renowned for. I wouldn't take it were I you.

HypoT is the second leading cause of elevated LDL cholesterol after poor diet. Don't be pressured into Lipitor. Getting a handle on the hypo will very likely solve the problem.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
I can concur with the others here - when I was diagnosed with thyroid nodules my cholesterol was 277. After about 6 months on synthroid and no real changes in exercise (I did try to eat less, but didn't change what I was eating) my cholesterol dropped to 203! Unfortunately it has creeped back up again (230ish) - but there are some other things going on and I haven't been as careful about eating. I was prescribed some cholesterol meds, but haven't started taking them as I want to see what I can do myself with expercise and diet and getting my thyroid balanced out....So my experience was that synthroid dropped my cholesterol....
Hope you feel better!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
(female)

margosuperstar HB Usermargosuperstar HB User

Oh my gosh ! Now I dont feel so silly asking that question. Thank you so much for the replies. I'm hoping to start feeling better soon. The doc I spoke of is a g.p. I think I should go to a endo. I just cant wrap my mind around the idea that a small gland in my neck can make me feel as sick as I do. Thanx again.
Margaret

Old 08-13-2005, 04:28 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

When i was first diagnosed with hypo in 2002 my total cholesterol was almost 8 (Canadian value) which in US figures is about 310....really high. Today it is now 7.09 which is 274.....still too high.....and i'm still struggling with thyroid problems which now appear to also be adrenal problems.

I also have a family history of heart disease and my primary amenorrhea apparently has an affect on cholesterol too.......

I tried Lipitor a couple of years ago and after a few weeks on 10 mgs, it gave me really, really bad stomach cramps, so i quit it. A week ago, my doc, seeing my chol. was so high convinced me to try statins again and i agreed to give the old Lipitor another try quite reluctantly.

But for those who want to lower their cholesterol which in not quite as high as mine, i recommend non-flush niacin and omega 3 and psyllium fibre. They really help!

Old 08-13-2005, 04:53 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

You are very hypo and as a result your cholesterol is high, but not insane. Mine is just a few points lower than yours, but I am still untreated. If you look at the equation in reverse, my cholesterol 2 years ago was around 174. My thyroid took a dump and my cholesterol shot up to 229. There's a huge relation to cholesterol and thyroid.

As for your liver function, I would stay away from the cholesterol reducing drugs if you can. At least until your thyroid is stabilized. With your T4 so low, you must be a walking zombie. I feel like crap most of the time and my T4 is rigfht at the bottom of the normal range and you are far below that. I don't know for sure, but I don't think thyroid replacement has much effect on the liver, but you have to aks the doc about that. I know T4 is converted to T3 in the liver and the main protein that transports thyroid hormone through your system, TBG (Thyroid Binding Globulin), is made in the liver.

Under your circumstance, you might want to ask your doctor for a Total T3, Free T3 and TBG test to see how your liver might be affecting your thyroid numbers.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
(female)

Squirrelia HB User

Hi from a newcomer
I was just diagnosed yesterday with low (T3 27.7) and high LDL (187). In a way it was good news to finally find *something* wrong, because I've been rather ill (dizzy)and getting worse for 9 months now, with no clues. My practioner is planning to help the cholesterol with an herbal/nutritional liver cleanse, which seems safe enough. My question is how are the thyroid and cholesterol related? If the cleanse works, would my thyroid levels improve? I'm impressed with the information I'm finding on these boards, and inspired. Seems that life will go on after all.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Nice to meet you, Squirrellia...
No, cleansing the liver won't improve thyroid levels, even if it does remove the cholesterol.
Cholesterol builds up because the sluggish thyroid slows its clearance from the bloodstream through the gut. If you don't treat the thyroid, it will just build up again.

Closed Thread