It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

glo81 HB User
hypothyroid & IBS

Just wondering. About a month after I was diagnosed with hypothyroid I seemed to develope IBS. I never had the problem before I was diagnosed with thyroid disorder. At first I thought it was the medication but no matter if I increase or decrease the dosage I still get IBS when eating insoluble fiber like raison bran, flax oil or some fruits. Is there any way this goes together with the thyroid condition? Did the thyroid condition cause this? How did this happen? Nobody has the answers. I was told by my GP to get a colonostomy immediately so I'm getting one next week. None of the doctors have the answers for me on how I got this horrible desease. I'm so confused on why I'm getting all these conditions. My chlosteral is not that great either and I have acid reflux and sinus and allergy problems. Please if anyone has any answers I would greatly appreciate this. I'm 42 years old and I feel like I'm falling apart.

Last edited by glo81; 08-18-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

Lore HB User
Re: hypothyroid & IBS

Hi,

I'm like you I was first diagnosed with Graves Disease, then had radiation treatment for my thyroid, became hypothyroid. Either way when I was Hyper, I would have increase bowel movements, I didnt know why until not to long ago I had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy (not sure if spelled right) but anyways I do have IBS and I have GERDS I also found myself having panic attacks as thought I cant breath feeling as though by body wants to shut down on me. Doctor believes its related to my GERDS. For a while had uncontrollable high blood pressure but now I'm fine after taking new medicine, I'm still fatigued, I'm taking synthroid @137mg. Anyways there is no cure for IBS unfortunately, there are some medicines to control if its really bad. My doctor told me to take fiber, hasnt helped much. I didnt have this problem before until I got sick with my thyroid then my body just when wacko on me. I also found myself having sleep apnea too. I never in my life had so many problems until my thyroid. I would just recommend to eat very healthy, stay away from stuff like junk food or grease. It is a struggle, when I go to luncheons at my work it is pretty emabarrassing excusing myself to the restroom when your still not done eating. Well I hope you dont let IBS take over you, try to take over it by eating more healthy foods and when to eat too.

Last edited by Lore; 08-19-2005 at 07:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I have hashi's and was asking about the link with soya and thyroid probs yesterday, Another member suggested that perhaps I have developed coeliac, I do get terrible bloating and alternate between dioareah and constipation and have constant muscle and joint pains too. The sinus thing has been with me for many yrs, even before my diagnosis. Have you tried eliminating soya from your diet too as this is toxic to the thyroid and often stops the thyroxine from working properly. I am considering starting a detox diet and then slowly introducing foods to see which ones affect me. if I ever get the energy to do so that is.
hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
(female)

glo81 HB User
Angry Re: hypothyroid & IBS

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. I'm really not sure if this is IBS but seems like I have the symptons. If there's no cure for IBS I don't know why I have to bother going through the colonostomy. It seems like an awful lot of trouble. I have to waste 2 days of my life to go through this horrible procedure and drink this awful stuff the night before and take off a day from work with no pay. Only to find out there's nothing that can be done anyway. Also about watching my diet. I seem to know what triggers this. It's the insoluble fiber ex- bran flakes, flax oil, & some fruits. So if I stay away from them I'm all right. The thing is before I had the thyroid condition I could eat any of these foods and have no problem and go the bathroom like a normal person. I feel like I should just be shot.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
(female)

Lore HB User

Well if you think for sure its IBS and you doctor might think its IBS then yes why have the colonoscopy but there is also Crohns Disease very similar to it read about it. And no you dont want to be shot you just want your life to be as normal as it can be but to our misfortune we dont have it but we can try our best.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kali M HB User

Glo81,

I had IBS symptoms as well - chronic constipation with occasional painful abd cramping and diarrhea in between - starting around 2001 after I moved overseas (and it wasn't always after we went out to eat on the local economy). But the IBS part of it resolved about 3 years later when I started replacing my extremely low DHEA through supplementation, though I continued to have chronic constipation. I also am mildly hypothyroid (by have been for years), AND my Epstein Barr Viral load is very high. I possibly have CFS in addition. So, I don't know how much mine was or was not truly IBS.

I WOULD definitely go ahead with the colonoscopy though.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

glo81 HB User

Hey, Thanks again for all the advice. I definately don't have the constipation I have the other problem. Does that rule anything out. Also about 2 wks ago a discoloration of the skin under my one cheek bone appeared. I got an appt. with a dermatologist in Oct. for the NEW skin problem I just developed. Any idea what that could be? Another problem I never had before and another doctor to see. My whole calander is filled with doctor visits. I have to say this board has the best replies.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

lbright HB User

I to was dx with IBS after being dx hypo. What medication are your taking? If it is Levothroid (Levothyroxine) could be the medication. Under precautions general it says that under treatment or over treatment consequence's include gastrointestinal function and others. I assume mine is undertreatment because my TSH is still high. Once I get to my optimal range, 1 to 2, I will be switching to Armour. I believe the two are related. I posted a thread on this a while back you can see the respones on that one. I would not go through with the colonoscopy.

Good Luck,

Laura

Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

Lore HB User

Dont rule out Crohns like I said it may not be that but other complications associated with Crohn's disease include arthritis, skin problems, inflammation in the eyes or mouth, kidney stones, gallstones, or other diseases of the liver and biliary system. Some of these problems resolve during treatment for disease in the digestive system, but some must be treated separately. Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), the general name for diseases that cause inflammation in the intestines. Crohn's disease can be difficult to diagnose because its symptoms are similar to other intestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and to another type of IBD called ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis causes inflammation and ulcers in the top layer of the lining of the large intestine.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #10
(female)

glo81 HB User

I was taking levothyroxine. When I started having this IBS problem I was switched to synthroid the name brand. Did not solve this problem. I was on 50mcg and felt lousy. My THS was 3.01. I got increased to .75 felt much better but Still had the IBS symptoms. I just thought it was strange that I never had this problem before but since I started the thyroid treatment with the medication this problem started happening. Other people that are on synthroid are not experiencing this IBS problem. But I am thinking that the reaction on me is different and this is more than a coinsedence but doctors are treating this as a seperate problem. I'm confused because of these doctors not even suggesting armour to me first before letting me get a colonostomy. I am really confused on if I should get this colonostomy or not? Is it really worth all the trouble of wasting 2 days of my life and taking a day off of work without pay??? My appointment for the colonostomy is Aug 29th. Please help me to decide what to do? Should I just tell my doctor I want to try armour first? Why hasn't my endo suggested this when I told him about the problem instead of changing me to the name brand and then changing my dosage, then suggesting I go to a GP who immediately suggested a colostomy right away?

Old 08-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #11
(female)

Lore HB User

You be suprise how many people in general with a thyroid problem of hypo or hyper have IBS way before they even started medication or right after medication. I really dont think any medication changes or medications itself caused or will help your IBS. I had my thyroid problem for a whole year and half before i even got diagnosed, I started getting IBS symptoms after a year of having the thyroid problem remember it took 1 year 1/2 before i got diagnosed with my thyroid itself and started on any medication. But it took 3.5 year to find out I had IBS, why because I refused to have a colonoscopy, but finally had it done and in the process of that my results also included that I had 9 colon polyps found and removed thank god non were cancerous. I would suggest in my personal opinion you have it done.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

i have fibro also, and have been diagnosed with low thyroid today and was put on synthroid (?) took my first pill today. my doctor explained that a low thyroid can cause IBS since the thyroid regulates almost everything in your body. i do have ibs, and have had it for years, so hoping that being on this med will help with the ibs as well as the anemia and exhaustion.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
(female)

glo81 HB User
Unhappy Re: hypothyroid & IBS

This sounds really grim. Another decease to live with. The grim part is there's nothing that can be done about it no medication to take for it. Will this IBS get worse? Just wondering if this is just the beginning. Right now if I stay away from bran, flax oil and peaches I'm pretty normal. They seem to be the foods that trigger this. Will it stay this way. I can live with that. How can you live a normal life if this problem gets worse? I just can't believe that hypothyroid causes this problem. I don't know how people can live with all these conditions knowing they will never be corrected. I'm so glad I came to this sight. I have a much better understanding of why this is happening than what the doctors explain. They really don't explain any of this. They just put me on medications.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

good morning glo,
well im hoping (praying) that the synthroid will help make the IBS better since it will start the thyroid working, but then again i dont know much about thyroid problems since i was just diagnosed yesterday. but ive had ibs for a long time which means the thyroid probably hasnt worked for a while, just that the doctor kept attributing it to the fibro which tends to have alot of different little things going on within it as well. so lets "hope" the meds will at least clear or help the IBS.
jen

Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
I can say that getting at the right dose of synthroid and identifying the problems foods has helped my IBS tremendously. It's taken years for me to learn which foods I can and cannot tolerate - many of them are the foods the GI doc tells me to eat to make it better - but for me it makes it worse - so I've had to learn these....and getting on synthroid has helped me....so take hope....I had IBS years before my dx with TD, but my IBS is better now than before TD and synthroid.....
Best wishes to everyone...
Kathy

Closed Thread