It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

OTabby HB User
Question Is it possible to have an overactive then go underactive thyroid?

Hello,I need some help here please.I'll try to briefly explain...
Three years ago my weight was 140 lb.(normal) but I did'nt like my job,Husband,or myself.My weight went down to 111 lb. @ 5'8" .I quit my job,too much stress,took a year off from work to gain weight.I looked like a walking bag of bones! Was starting to feel great !!!!! Found out I had lung cancer,had surgery,chemo,etc. Doctors kept saying ,only Happy people gain weight during & after chemo. B.S.
Well,it's now over a year,feeling lousy again,failed 2 thyroid tests,have the radioactive pill scan Sept 12th to verify everything!!?? I now weight 188 lbs. PS.After my cancer,came Neuropathy.
My question is,can my throid do a flip-flop on me,from Hyper to Hypo ?? I want my old self back...
Thanks & Take Care JL

Old 08-30-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Is it possible to have an overactive then go underactive thyroid?

My goodness you have been through a lot! You must be a very strong lady and I hope I can be of a bit of help here.

Yes, your thyroid can do that. If you had thyroiditis and then went hypo...or have Hashi's ...that I hear can go from one to the other.

First, make sure you are getting the right tests: FT3, FT4, TSH and the antibodies for the autoimmune diseases Graves and Hashimotos. You may also want to have an ultrasound or other testing to determine if you have nodules which can also cause problems for your thyroid. The radioactive test is unfortunately something I am not very familiar with (I live in Japan) so perhaps someone else can give more info on that, but I would imagine that that is a very good test as well. If you determine you have a problem with your thyroid, you can begin some kind of treatment. Many people can do well with thyroid medication. Let us know how it all goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

The radioactive scan is to help determine the uptake of your thyroid. You swallow a small amount of radioactive iodine (in pill or liquid form), then depending on the place may go back the same day or 24 hrs later. At that point they scan for the radiation in your body. Starting at your thyroid. If you take a lot up there it shows you are hyperthyroid. It may also show if you have nodules that are functioning.

I had it done. It's pretty easy. No precautions or anything like that. Since I was hyperthyroid my uptake was a lot and my neck swelled up a little b/c my thyroid got bigger with the uptake.

April

Old 08-30-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I am so sorry you have been through SO much! You are a very strong person to have taken all this and are to be admired. Listen, your thyroid can flip from hypo to hyper in the same day! Dr's are famous for not knowing this of course. I just had my whole thyroid removed so I am not having this problem now, but before the surgery, I had awful flip flops like you talk about..................sometimes all in one day. The hard part was finding a dr who believed me and understood that can happen to a person.

Best wishes,
Karen

Old 08-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTabby
Hello,I need some help here please.I'll try to briefly explain...
Three years ago my weight was 140 lb.(normal) but I did'nt like my job,Husband,or myself.My weight went down to 111 lb. @ 5'8" .I quit my job,too much stress,took a year off from work to gain weight.I looked like a walking bag of bones! Was starting to feel great !!!!! Found out I had lung cancer,had surgery,chemo,etc. Doctors kept saying ,only Happy people gain weight during & after chemo. B.S.
Well,it's now over a year,feeling lousy again,failed 2 thyroid tests,have the radioactive pill scan Sept 12th to verify everything!!?? I now weight 188 lbs. PS.After my cancer,came Neuropathy.
My question is,can my throid do a flip-flop on me,from Hyper to Hypo ?? I want my old self back...
Thanks & Take Care JL
Out of curiosity, During your chemo where you put on any type of steroids?
Sometimes steroids can throw a thyroid out of whack..Hope you get to feeling better soon...Take Care.. : )

Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
(female)

OTabby HB User

Hi Pixie,
Wow.thanks for the response.
Three years ago I had a Dr I did not care for,did not see him too often,so I am presuming I was Hyperthyroid at that time because of my weight loss.
Now have my favorite Dr back,did the ultrasound weeks ago.Just waiting for the radioactive dye to rid itself, from a CT scan of lungs.
Am ready to start Synthroid mid Sep,
Take Care JL

Old 08-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
(female)

OTabby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPow
The radioactive scan is to help determine the uptake of your thyroid. You swallow a small amount of radioactive iodine (in pill or liquid form), then depending on the place may go back the same day or 24 hrs later. At that point they scan for the radiation in your body. Starting at your thyroid. If you take a lot up there it shows you are hyperthyroid. It may also show if you have nodules that are functioning.

I had it done. It's pretty easy. No precautions or anything like that. Since I was hyperthyroid my uptake was a lot and my neck swelled up a little b/c my thyroid got bigger with the uptake.

April
HI April,
Thanks for the note.Yea,that sounds like the test I'm preparing for (no iodine) and I do crave a Florida pink shrimp cocktail !
Take Care JL

Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
(female)

OTabby HB User

Hi Karen,What kind of symptoms did you have if You went hypo to hyper in the same day?
I'm having so many problems with my body,I can't pinpoint one pain from another,or know which Dr to call!!------Take Care JL

Old 08-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
(female)

OTabby HB User

Hello,
Thanks for your concern.So nice.
Yes,I was on steroids during chemo,don"t know what type tho.
There are so many types of chemicals in a IV drip bag & they are all meant to KILL,The good & the bad cells etc.
I have so many medical problems,and I blame it all on the CHEMO I had.
Thanks for letting me vent,want more?
Take Care JL

Closed Thread