It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

spriggy HB User
goiter (feeling in throat!)

I've been sick off and on for nearly a year- they suspected in the beginning it was hyperthyroidism (weight loss, anxiety, fever, body aches) but all my panels came back fine.

I have continued to be sick and more recently my dr. suspects it's lupus.

I have all the symptoms of lupus but one thing they just found was a goiter on my thyroid.

I have been complaining for months that I feel like I haev something "stuck" in my throat. It's a weird/full feeling in my throat and it drives me CRAZY!

Finally my dr. said, "yep, this is a goiter" and ran more thyroid blood work and all of it says I am "normal."

I am still losing weight, have no appetite, have daily chronic fevers, body aches, etc.. I have no clue if this is all ONE thing or if I have a goiter on top of lupus.

Any thoughts why my panel is normal but I clearly have a growth on my thyroid?

Old 09-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: goiter (feeling in throat!)

One thing you need to have done is to have an ultra sound of your thyroid. You can have normal labs but have a nodule on your thyroid that is functioning and spitting out it;s own hormones causing you to have hyper symptoms. That is very common with hashi's. My labs were always normal, had the same symptoms as you did and finally had an ultrasound of the thyroid and sure enough there were 2 large nodules on it.

Just from the fact that you have a goiter it means your thyroid is probably inflammed. Lupus and hashi's cross over with symptoms. I would make sure to have hashi's ruled out.

Good luck,
karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Spriggy,
I have a multinodular goiter and all my labs have always been normal - mine was found using ultrasound -so see if you can get one like Karen says....It will help you know what your dealing with and how to best cope and treat it....
Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Take care,
Kathy

Old 09-10-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
(female)

Dianam HB User

Hi everyone ..sorry I didnt know how to start a new thread..I was just wondering if anyone knows if a goiter can be hereditary..as I know my grandmother and aunt both had one ..Im having problems with my throat and neck currenly ..also could anyone tell me the symptoms of a goiter aside from neck swelling.. I might add I have just had blood tests done for thyroid and they came back ok..would this still be the case if I had a goiter?..I am on the waiting list to have a scan done on my neck and top of my spine as Ive had a lot of pain recently but that could be 3 months down the line yet.
thanks
Diana

Last edited by Dianam; 09-10-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Dianam,
A goiter is a name for an enlarged thyroid. They can run in families. All of the females on my Mom's side have thyroid disease of one kind or another. If your labs are normal and you have an enlarged thyroid than a scan is the next thing to do. I would get a copy of these "normal" labs and post the results and the ranges here on the board. You would be surprised how many dr's label you as normal when in fact your labs do show things.

Best of luck,
karen

Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
(female)

Dianam HB User

ok karen thanks for that info..I will ask my doc ..problem is at the moment I am suffering from terrible GERD (acid reflux) so Im unsure whether thats causing my neck to swell or it is masking it..but Ive suffered with gerd on and off for a while now and have never experienced the weird neck sensations im getting or swollen glands or pressure in my ears before..kinda feels like ive got flu really ..anyways like I say I am scheduled to have the scan when my turn comes up so I guess all will be revealed than
take care
Diana

Closed Thread