It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User
Exclamation Can thyroid problems cause panic attacks?..

I believe I may be having problems with my thyroid. It's been swollen for over a month now. I just got an ultrasound done today, so I'm not sure what's going on with it just yet.. I hope to hear back from the doctors in a few days.

About 2 months ago, I got super super sick. Was light-headed, felt as if I may pass out, my heart was pounding, body was trembling, I felt just.. HORRIBLE, I was freaking out 'cause I seriouslly thought I was going to die. A few days later, still feeling a little "out of it".. I noticed my neck begin to swell a little & it's been like that ever since. Sometimes, I feel as if I'm about to pass out, I get super nervous, sweaty but feeling a little cold & hot at the same time.. is this a panic attack?? I'm not sure what's causing them.. I've always had anxiety problems, OCD, etc.. so I'm really not sure if a thyroid problem could cause such problems.. what do you think??

Old 09-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Can thyroid problems cause panic attacks?..

It does sounds like it could've been a panic attack. I was diagnosed hyperthyroid in March and I had been having more panic attacks and anxiety in general. I just thought it was stress at the time, but now I know it's cause my thyroid was sooooo out of whack.
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User

What were some of your symptoms? Just curious, if you don't mind. =)

Old 09-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

YES! YES! YES they can!!! I am hypo. I went to the doc about a year ago because I was having anxiey/panic attacks. The dumb *** doc put me on an SSRI. Not even thinking to check anything else. Two weeks into it I was still having the anxiety. Chest pain so bad thought I was going to die. Went into ER, they ran a bunch of tests and found that my heart was just fine but my thyroid wasn't working. My TSH was 393 (with a normal range of .34-2.5). What a wonderful doc at that ER. Once I was diagnosed i realized all these other symptoms that I had for years, just never seemed big enough to go to the doc for. Cold intolerance (I mean my boobs would hurt inside at work just when I moved), cramps in my legs, my skin was horrible, i looked completely run down, and towards the end I was extremely sensitive to the lights at work. I couldn't have the lights under my desk on. The only thing I didn't get from it was the weight gain. Once on the pills for a couple of months, I struggled, but got off of the SSRI. Now I feel FANTASTIC!! No more anxiety, no more cold, no more nothing!!

I had a rough summer last summer, my mother-in-law was very sick and passed away from cancer at age 57. When I started having the anxiety I kinda thought that maybe I wasn't handling life so well but at the same time refused to believe that because I have been through some tough stuff before and always handled it well.

Sorry for the long explaination but you should get your thyroid checked. Don't make the mistake I did and go on those SSRI's if you truly have a thyroid problem. If you have a thyroid problem you probrably won't need the SSRI's and if you don't have a thyroid problem the SSRI's will work great!!

Just wanted to share my experience with you. I think that when your thyroid gets so over the edge, the worst comes out strong and fast.

Stacia

Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I have had panic attacks while having hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Some of the same symptoms can be from hyper or hypo.

Last edited by Lady50; 09-13-2005 at 06:07 AM.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synesthesiia
What were some of your symptoms? Just curious, if you don't mind. =)
Ummm....my symptoms were massive weight loss REALLY quickly. I lost 50lbs in 6 months. Heart palpitations, insomnia, tremors in my hands, hair loss, increased anxiety. I was also really snappy. I would bite people's heads off for nothing and I would also get really emotional over little stupid things. It definitely was NOT fun!!
PCOS

Old 09-13-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User

Wow, THANK YOU, Stacia! =) And nooo.. I loved your long explanation, lol. =P I didn't know what a thyroid was until my neck started to swell, so.. I'm really interested in hearing how someone's thyroid affects their body. I do have alot of the symptoms someone with hypo may have. =\ Just once question, HOW did they check your thyroid to find out that you had hypo?? My doctor gave me a blood test.. I thought there was suppose to be a NEEDLE stuck in my neck?.. lol I'm kinda confused about that. =\

Anyways.. I supposely got my WBC & thyroid checked. They took one blood sample from my arm.. I just got an ultrasound done on my neck & they said my neck was fine?? I don't understand WHY theres swelling and WHYYY I'm feeling sooo horrible?.. I have to go back to the doctor's office on Thursday. I'm really.. just, BLAH.. It's been 2 months already, I just wanna know what's wrong with me! Y'know?.. =\

Old 09-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #8
(female)

I totally know what you mean when you say you just want to know what is wrong with you. I can't believe, now looking back, that I didn't go to the doc sooner. And that is so funny when you say you didn't even know what your thyroid was because neither did I. When the ER called me I had to ask what it was and where it was. LOL!!!

They diagnosed me on a blood test. I was a pretty easy diagnosis because my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) was waaaaaaaaay out of wack. The ER called me two days later and told me that I had hypothyriodisim, had me write down my TSH and told me to make an appointment with my GP. Well, since I didn't have GP because I NEVER go to the doc for anything, I found one and went. He pumped me up so much on the meds it turned me hyper fast. The big "pump up" made me loose 20lbs in 2 weeks. Totally freaked me out cause I didn't really need to loose weight. (well, everyone could probrably stand to loose 5lbs. ) Bascially, the doc handed me a perscription and said, "See ya in two months." That's when I turned to this board for information on what I had. Oh ... and my cholesterol was 310. Another hypo side effect. The doc threw me on Lipitor too but I didn't take it. Didn't think I needed it. I bought some books and started doing my research and learned the the cholesterol can be elevated if you thyroid is not working correctly. I don't eat fast food but maybe once a month and always make a good supper.

Two weeks later I went to an Endocrinologist. The only thing he did with my neck was make me drink some water while he pushed on it in certain places as I swallowed. He also checked my reflexes etc. and ran a bunch of differnt tests like my liver function, kidney function and a bunch of stuff I don't undestand. I actually kinda happy when I left from the first appointment that the doc actually "touched me". (You know what I mean.) I know the liver function came back high as well. Once on the meds for a few months everything started to fall back in place. My cholesterol now is 177 and all my other tests are normal.

The only thing they really do to determine a diagnosis of hyper or hypo is blood work. It is important that they don't just test the TSH because sometimes your Free t4 and your Free t3 can be off and your TSH normal. Like I said, I was a pretty easy diagnosis because my TSH was so in the clouds. Oh .. and an antibodies test can be done too. A needle would only be used if they were going to biopsy something. Because they did an ultra sound on your neck and it came back fine, they obviously didn't see any Nodules which is what they would have biopsied.

Let me know your blood tests results. I'd be interested in seeing them. Sorry I ramble. I'm kinda a chatter box. Hope you figure it all out soon. It's so hard to function from day to day when your not feel good.

Stacia

Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
(female)

Sorry posted twice. Slow computer.

Stacia

Last edited by Stacia; 09-13-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Closed Thread