It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User
Thyroid Surgery Scar Question

Hi All, I had a right lobectomy 4 weeks ago. The scar is healing but it has this "rope" like look and feel to it. Surgeon said this time period is the worse it will look and feel. When did you notice the scar beginning to smooth out and become less rope like and more flat? Just curious. Thanks!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

BonBe HB User
Re: Thyroid Surgery Scar Question

Hiya Suncat

welcome and glad you are indeed mending.

I have not had thyroid surgery, but many other types of surgeries and you are describing what is known as 'keloid formations' it is overabundance of scar tissue, sometimes appearing like rope (humped up in parts as well) lots of skin types have this happen.

Your doctor will be able to steer you in the direction of scar therapy once it has finally healed. (inscision site) Myself I am using strips called Cica-Care which are silicone gel pads. Another product I am trying is something called Scar Zone (OTC) but wait for the go ahead from your doctor.

Sometimes it takes ages for a scar to heal, and when it does, it will be practically invisible.

Hope this helps.
Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Go to your nearest Merle Norman Cosmetic Studio as soon as your doctor gives you the go ahead to put cream on it, and ask for Super Lube. It is an oil in cream form. For me and all my friends I have told about it, it has worked. You can barely see a scar. One of my friends fell and cut her face and had to have stitches. Now you can't see a scar at all.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

suncat,
I too had my thyroid out, it was 6 weeks ago. I had the same thing happen at about 4 weeks. It got really hard and the exact same rope feeling/look to it. Now, at 6 weeks, it is smooth again and not nearly as painful. It also itched and got quite soar at that time..........

Karen

Old 09-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

Hi !

I have the same thing with my scar. It looked absolutely gorgeous the 1st few weeks. THen it slowly became raised, white looking in the middle and red all around the edges. It almost looks like a long blister. I dont think it's keloids, b/c they grow outside of the scar area. If its still within the scar there is something related to keloids just not as severe called hypertrophic scar. I have tried the over the counter creams & gels, nothing has helped.
I saw a woman who had her thyroid out in May/June and her scar looked old, mine does not. Most people think a necklace or something gave me some sort of rope burn.
I have a picture, just not sure if I can post it!

April

Old 09-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
(female)

skewch HB User

April, I wish we could show pictures here too, but I haven't figured out how to do that. I wanted to show my before and after shots so people had a chance to see for themselves. If you figure it out, let me know !!

Old 09-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I have pics too that show my new slim neck I was starting to hate my neck so much, but now, I am soooo happy with it. I don't even care about the scar, it looks so much better than that yucky, enlarged thyroid.

Karen

Closed Thread