It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

Anju20 HB User
Question Myofascial Pain Syndrome with hashimotos hypothyroid

Hi,

I am 27 years old female who also has hypothyroid problem/Hashimotos. I wanted to ask if someone has this problem "Myofascial Pain Syndrome "...what kind of symptoms do you have and what kind of treatment are you getting done for it...is it helping you? I am really tired of this pain and knots.

I wanted to ask does anyone know if they have this called Myofascial Pain Syndrome? Like 6 years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, however, when I posted my question on this website about if I really do have this or not...someone told me I have Myofascial Pain Syndrome. That was the first time I had ever heard of the name. I researched on google and found out most likely I do have this problem.

I have knots in my body especially in the shoulder area and neck area. and when u press on those knots it relieves pain and relaxes it abit. Once the massage is done the pain decreases little bit but after alittle while it returns. The pain in my knots also send pain in other places like if i get it massaged in my upper back close to the shoulder then it shoots the pain in my neck and down my arm. I also get sometimes this shooting pain in one leg or the other leg and its very painful. At first I thought this was due to a nerve pinch but when I looked up this syndrome it says there it happens in it.

Now I have two new knots on both sides of head near the start of the ears but in the middle where the ear and forehead is. I am really getting scared of these knots.

Please can someone give me some advise to this I would really appreciate it. I am really confused as to how to get rid of this pain and knots. the pain is horrible. Thanks so much for taking your time out and reading my problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Myofascial Pain Syndrome with hashimotos hypothyroid

It sounds like I have what you're describing. The shoulder/neck/upper back pain has been unbearable at times through the years. I have one of those "knots" right now near my shoulder blade that sends pain impulses all through my shoulder and down my arm. In the past, I had one on the other side that my chiropractor was able to get rid of. He told me the knots are pockets of lactic acid, which harden and compress the nearby nerves. Breaking up the acid pocket relieved that pain. But the problem is that I seem to constantly be forming more knots.

My thyroid doc recommends a specialized kind of massage called "myofascial release". It's different from "regular" massage in that it retrains the muscle's "memory" so that it doesn't return to the previous level of tension. A more permanent fix than standard massage. It sounds so expensive, I haven't even looked into it, much less signed up for it. Of course, not reimbursed by insurance. I'd do it in a heartbeat if so.

So... look into either chiropractic or myofascial release massage.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-22-2005 at 01:41 PM.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

I responsed on the fibro board but I do agree. I so MFR massage, see a chiro,
but my pain is much worse when I need a med increase... you might want to check it out.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I also get the aching shoulder with the shooting pains down my arm. My Gp diagnosed bursitis as he said he could feel a hot inflamed spot. Unfortunately over the last yr I have also developed allergies to most pain relief meds.
I stick a pack of frozen peas on my shoulder for 20 mins which helps, but i also have got a horseshoe shaped cushion, filled with tiny polystyrene beads which i put under my arm in bed and it really does ease the pain. I also use it to rest my wrist on whilst typing.
I just seem to be forever rubbing my arm throughout the day to try to get shot of that awful dull ache

Old 09-23-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahF
...but my pain is much worse when I need a med increase...
I agree... but get this ~ Up until six weeks ago, my pain had become significantly worse. Doc and I talked about increasing my Armour from 120 to 150; but because my pulse was elevated, he left the dose as it was. My intuition kicked in after I seriously considered that high pulse rate and remembered how horribly achy I'd been when at one time overmedicated. On my own, I reduced my dose to 90, and within 2 days, the aches were far better. Not gone, but much better.
Just wanted to relate my experience so you know that too high a dose can cause the same pain.
It's all just too darn complicated, isn't it?

Old 09-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User

Well my dose was just reduced because my T3 went high while my T4 went low... and in the last 5 weeks I have been experiencing more and more pain. I'm just holding on until we can add some T4 back.

We tried Armour alone and apparently I need more T4 than what it provides...

Closed Thread