It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

astroh2o HB User
Question Can Thyroid problems cause Allergies?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if thyroid problems can cause allergies? I'd apprciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks,
WW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

Betsyp HB User
Re: Can Thyroid problems cause Allergies?

Hi WW -- I have no medical proof, but I seriously believe thyroid problems increase the likelihood of allergies. I was diagnosed with Hashi's in 1992, and it was pretty much under control until 2003 when my levels fluctuated all the time. I never had any allergies until Labor Day 2003 when I drank a glass of soy milk, and my eyes and throat started to swell shut. I spent the night in the emergency room and went through the whole battery of allergy tests. Nothing conclusive, but I narrowed it down to Carageenan, a food additive in soy milk and some milk products like milk shakes, coffee creamers, and milk shakes since everytime I consumed something like that I had the same reaction. Since then, my thyroid levels are up and down and I have developed a sizeable goiter. I am having my thyroid surgically removed next Wednesday and am looking forward to finally getting more consistency to my thyroid hormones from medication. Do you also suffer from allergies? Betsy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

appleofearth HB User
Re: Can Thyroid problems cause Allergies?

Hiya,

I started getting my collection of hypo symptoms towards the end of the summer '99, before that I had mild hayfever in the summer - slightly itchy eyes and nose, occasionally needed standard antihystamines but only a couple of days every summer.

In the summer of 2000 i started getting nosebleeds and had to get prescription eye drops and tablets and that STILL didn't stop all the symptoms... This has continued since then, but I'm hoping that now I'm on thyroxine it'll go away :/

If the allergies you're referring to are summer pollen type ones you should try drinking nettle tea and eating locally made honey - you need the honey to be made by bees that collect the pollen that you're allergic to! I've found that taking the tea and the honey (could even stir the honey into the tea) over the winter helps to desensitise yourself.

Becky

Closed Thread