It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Question Certain foods cause a goiter in Hypothyriodism

Hello,
I have hypothyroid. My sister also has hypo, she recently had a hospital stay (not related to her thyroid) when she was being released, she was given some info on what not to take or eat. It stated that people with hypothyroid can not eat broccoli, cauliflower or soy. It said these things will cause a goiter. I was ever told this by any of my doctors . Has anyone with hypothyroidism been told this? Or had a problem with these foods?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Certain foods cause a goiter in Hypothyriodism

Yes, and there are other foods to add to this list. The main problems would be from eating them raw. If you cook them, there should not be a problem.They are called goitrogens. Not sure if I spelled it right.

Flouride is also suppose to be a thyroid suppressor.

Some doctors do not know about this.

Last edited by Lady50; 10-12-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Hi fairymagick, there is a list of foods to avoid on the information thread. It is very interesting. I have to avoid soy at all costs as it gives me arthritis type symptoms. I discovered this before my hypo T was diagnosed.
best wishes

Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User

Hi,
Thank guys for the info. I'll check out the information thread. I can't believe I was never told about this!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

KCThy HB User

Fairy,

Honestly, IMHO, these foods are just a miniscule of the cause of thyroid problems; for the most part, for most people, they are necessary and great foods - cook 'em! That's all, cook 'em and enjoy them.

Don't be surprised that you weren't told about them, because their factor in the scheme of things (unless you are also allergic to them) isn't that big of deal.

Sorry, my opinion! Also, be wary of links that aren't of .org.

Stay in tune with your body, and if you feel like crap the day after eating something DIFFERENT, they, consider it and see if it happens next time; but don't EXPECT it to!

Take Care and Trust your Body!

Old 10-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi...I've noticed that Brussel Sprouts make me feel ill if I eat too many of them. (I've seen them on "the list" too). I love them, so when I have "overdone it", that's when I felt extremely hypo the next day. I seem to tolerate all of the other foods pretty well though, but then again, I eat them in moderation. I avoid soy as much as I possibly can.What about nuts, aren't there some nuts on that list too? I love cashews now and then...and a few almonds.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 AM   #7
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

I agree with KCThy that these are not of much consequence in the grand scheme of things. The ONLY documented cases (as in, published in medical journals) of goitrogenic foods causing problems have occurred in areas of the world where iodine deficiency is rampant and people's diet consists almost solely of a single goitrogenic food (generally millet or cassava.)

These foods exacerabte an existing iodine deficiency. But this is only if you are deficient already, and only if you have a an extremely limited diet and basically eat nothing but goitrogens.

Get sufficient iodine in your diet, and don't worry about goitrogens. There are many extremely beneficial foods in these "lists" and I hate seeing people avoid them for no reason at all.

An analogy might be eggs ... raw egg whites contain a substance called avidin, which binds to biotin (a B vitamin.) If you routinely eat enormous quantities of raw eggs, you can theoretically end up with a biotin deficiency. Biotin deficiency can cause dandruff and dry skin, among other things. Imagine if everyone with dandruff and dry skin decided that they absolutely had to avoid every trace of eggs, and if they took one bite of let's say, a muffin, the next day they would be overwhelmed with horrible dandruff.

Just my opinion of course If you feel better not eating them, then go ahead ... I just feel like this whole hoo-hah over goitrogens has been severely blown out of proportion. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. I'll step out now...

Old 10-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I was recently diagnosed hypo and i have some nodules on my thyroid (goiter)........I do consume alot of soy. I have read that is doesn't affect our thyroid but I wonder because I never had thyroid problems before......i just started 25mg. of Synthroid....bride527

Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
(male)

Maharshi HB User

My experience is that some of these foods do cause problems, no matter how much iodine I take. It may not be because they inhibit thyroid then; it may be because they are "cooling" foods for other reasons.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
(female)

Sweetpea07 HB User

I found the list interesting, hopefully I'll cut out some foods and see what happens.

Last edited by Sweetpea07; 05-19-2007 at 04:42 AM.

Closed Thread