It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

looking up HB User
started T3; animal extracts, muscle testing

1st time posting. Long but i tried to include only pertinent info- please help. I have no thyroid due to cancer on 1993. I was on 150mg synthroid. doctor started me yesterday on 137mg synthroid and .5mcg cytomel. does anyone know how I should expect to feel?
Has anyone read the new studies about how t3 combined with t4 donít do any good, in fact cause more anxiety. I read these today and I added t3 to synthroid yesterday.

Also, my doctor does Total T3. How can I tell if my body is converting to T3 properly with that data. Here are my latest results. TSH .29 with reference range of .35-5.50 MIU/ML, Total T3 111 with reference range of 60-181 NG/DL, T4 Free 1.63 with reference range of .89-1.76 NG/DL.

Also, I know my adrenals arenít functioning optimally and have been knowing that for many years from many hair analysis I did several years ago. My morning cortisol is 9.19 with reference range being 4.3-22.4 UG/DL. So my endo says it is fine. I know it is not. I think I am going to go to a medical doctor/osteopath in town who specializing in hormone balancing. She checks the whole body. I just cant figure out if I should wait the 8 weeks for getting my blood work redone to see how adding the Cytomel affected it (she is very expensive- donít want to go at the wrong time). I am 36 and almost 20 years ago, my doctor put me on progesterone- dont even remember why so I have been knowing that my female hormones were out of whack. A naturopath who helped me so much, just moved, but right before she left did testing to show that my pituitary was lacking and if I nutritionally corrected my adrenal and thyroid, it would fix the pituitary. she is very familar with Natures Sunshine so did muscle testing (applied kinesiology) to determine which of Natures Sunshine thyroid and adrenal products would benefit me. The thyoid supplement ingredients seem fine but the adrenal one has animal extracts in it and even though I positively muscle tested for it , I am scared to death to try it. Last year, a naturopathic doctor put me on tons of Standard Process products (very well respected line by many people I know, including 2 chiropractors). Most of the products had animal extracts in them and they screwed me up so bad, it was scary. I had mild anxiety before that but ever since i started on them, I had severe anxiey and severe panic attacks. I could not handle leaving my house. (My poor children- I just pray that God helps them not have scars from all this.) Also, I came down with infection after infection. Every other week, I had a new infection. Went to a M.D. to get rid of one of them and he said that animal extracts attach to our estrogen receptors and knock off the estrogen. he said it would just take a while to get better. 2 months later I learned from a natural pharmacist to take Evening Primose Oil- it increases estrogen naturally in body and would knock off the animal extracts. It worked well until my doctor put me on 600mg daily of Progesterone because my cycle was so irregular. I am sure I can take mind altering anti-anxiety drugs but refuse to. I want to correct the cause of the problem. *********s Plus balances hormones and has helped me tremendously but I take probably $450 worth of supplements per month- I cant continue forever. My family has sacrificed entirely too much. I have fibromyalgia and the Plus completely took away my pain. So my pain was hormonal. About the muscle testing- has anyone found it not to be effective with certain people or certain conditions (I know you have to have someone experienced doing it because it is a skill and I trust the lady who did it for me). I have utmost respect for a natural pharmacist I deal with and he says he has never know it to fail. He is also 2 Ĺ hrs away (deal with him on phone and net) so it is not like I can go to him for him to do the muscle testing. Any educated advice on any of my issues that anyone could give me is appreciated.

Last edited by dcnormand; 10-29-2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added many more questions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: started T3; new T3/T4 research

I too have no thyroid due to hashi's and nodules. I am taking the Cytomel t3 and it has helped me. It does not cause me any symptoms. My sister took it and started out at 25mcgs and had major anxiety. Your dose is right..............you should start out at 5mcgs and take that for a good 2-4 weeks and let it get into your body slow and then up that to perhaps 10mcgs. and do it the same way. T3 is best done slow. I can handle it building up slow. Dr's are so confused about how to dose it and if it is needed.

I have read all those articles.............some say you need it, some say you don't. "They" can't tell a person if they need it or not................only you taking it can tell if it helps you. Nobody knows for sure one way or the other since not everyone needs it. Alot of people benefit greatly from the addition of t3 meds.

Alot of times with no thyroid the body does not convert the t4 into t3 like it normally would because all of our t4 is synthetic. Also, the supplement selenium can help with that conversion.

T3 is faster acting than t4 so you usually feel a difference with it in a shorter period of time. Heart palps are a common symptom of t3 that is not needed.

A free t3 test is what you need to have run to see if you need the t3. I don't know why dr's give out t3 without even running that test to see if you need it and how much you need to come up................

Best of luck,
Karen

Old 10-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

My endo. said there is a T3 study that said it did help some pp., so he gave me 5mcg a day because I used to feel lethargic in the middle of the day. He didn't bother to test anything other that TSH (which needs to be suppressed to prevent cancer recurrence). He based it upon how I felt---he doesn't believe it's a science to prescribe thyroid meds, more of an art, the right amt. for the person.

I can't take it every day, it makes me too jittery, so I take it 2 times a week, which prevents me from getting bloated. The week I'm off my BC pill, I don't take it at all---I'd get that nervous/jittery feeling.

As long as your TSH remains suppressed, I guess there's room to adjust. You can always try it and stop if you don't feel right. I wouldn't go with the homeopathic remedies for thyroid if I were you, because you had thyroid cancer and you don't want to risk a recurrence---but I'm sure others have dif. opinions.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

looking up HB User

So, do I understand you correctly in that if you take it more than 2 times per week, you get bloated and anxious. Has it helped your energy taking in so seldom? What is your TSH level with the way you take it?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

looking up HB User

Do you think I may be able to do without cytomel, if I upped my selenium intake? Do you take selenium? How much is recommended?
You said "Heart palps are a common symptom of t3 that is not needed". I didnt quite understand that- does that mean if you have heart palps, you dont need T3? do you know if there is anything written on whether people with a thyroid need this more or less that those without a thyroid? I convinced my doctor to run the Free T3 when I retest after 8 weeks. I just started the cytomel Friday. Can you tell anything at all from my Total T3- it was 111?
Also, my doctor said that I would feel great for the 1st 2 weeks on cytomel- he said he has done them thousands of times and people always feel great for 2 weeks. After that, if they dont feel good, then the medicine is not right for them. have you ever heard such a thing.
thank you karen for your help

Last edited by dcnormand; 10-30-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I take T3 to reduce bloating---but too much makes me nervous/jittery, so I found 2 xs a week the right dose.

I think Karen was saying that if you get heart palps when taking T3, you might have too much T3, and need to stop taking it.

If your doctor is suggesting you try it for a few weeks, maybe you can....T3 leaves your system pretty quickly, so if you get symptoms, you stop right away.

Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
(female)

looking up HB User

thnks
I think it is increasing my anxiety a little. No heart palpitations on this dose. I am concerned because of my adrenal. I will have to go soon to the doctor that is an expert in hormonal balancing. thnks again. I dont know really how this website works but I can post back after that appt to let you all know how it went.

Closed Thread