It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

margypem HB User
Unhappy Pressure Urticaria

Hi Can Anyone Help.i Am Suffering Badly With Dpu.ihave Had This For 4 Yrs Now And It Is Getting Worse.doctor Cant Find Any Cure.i Cant Sit, Stand,carry Anything For Long Without Swelling Up.i Cant Even Wear Normal Shoes,just Slippers.i Am At My Wits End Trying Every Antihystamine I Come Across.the One That Seems To Help Most Is Benadryl,but Does Not Last Long.anyone Got An Answer Please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Pressure Urticaria

I don't have an answer, but I have a fear that I may be headed down the same road. Very recently, hives have been appearing around the tighter articles of clothing I wear... braline and waistband areas, sometimes the top of my foot where my shoes tie.

My reading has lead me to discover that hives are often associated with thyro-peroxidase antibodies (TPO), which cause Hashimoto's thyroiditis... which I have.
Do you have antibodies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

margypem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I don't have an answer, but I have a fear that I may be headed down the same road. Very recently, hives have been appearing around the tighter articles of clothing I wear... braline and waistband areas, sometimes the top of my foot where my shoes tie.

My reading has lead me to discover that hives are often associated with thyro-peroxidase antibodies (TPO), which cause Hashimoto's thyroiditis... which I have.
Do you have antibodies?

HI THANKS FOR REPLY.I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH UNDERACTIVE THYROID ABOUT THE SAME TIME THIS STARTED BUT DOCTOR SAYS IT IS JUST COINCIDENT.I TAKE THYROXINE DAILY.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
(female)

margypem HB User

Hi Thanks For Reply.not Sure How To Use The Post Boards.hope I Got It Right.i Was Diagnosed With Underactive Thyroid About The Same Time As This Started,but Doctor Says Its Coincident.take Thyroxine Daily.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
(female)

Dreamers HB User

Hi Margypem,

I get pressure and cold uticaria. I found that wearing loose clothing helps a lot. There are some other medications that my derm doc mentioned, I cannot remember the name. They were in the antihistamine class of meds I belive. Have they checked you for a darier's sign? I think that is what my derm doc did and never really did understand it all. It made a big welt on my wrist though. I couldn't take the antihistamines because of another illness but I found the loose clothing sure helps.

dreamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by margypem
Hi Can Anyone Help.i Am Suffering Badly With Dpu.ihave Had This For 4 Yrs Now And It Is Getting Worse.doctor Cant Find Any Cure.i Cant Sit, Stand,carry Anything For Long Without Swelling Up.i Cant Even Wear Normal Shoes,just Slippers.i Am At My Wits End Trying Every Antihystamine I Come Across.the One That Seems To Help Most Is Benadryl,but Does Not Last Long.anyone Got An Answer Please?

Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
(female)

mbcs HB User

I get solar urticara from my neck (rt thyroid lobe) straight up to my forhead hair line. IF you have urticara IT IS directly related to your thyroid whether you have hash's w/TPO's or just hypothroidism. IF you dr. does not believe there is a connect you need to find another DR. - one that practices holisticly. There is research that throidectomy will cure the urticara - but this is very very new...........when I get it nothing helps........I can be under an umbrall - tent or other structur and still get it from the heat..........for me it last 5-10day with sever swelling at time depending on the exposure.......since synthriod it has gotten better......it will be directly related to food or enviromental allergies triggers.........trigger for me are NASDI's ie...motrin, alvea and any alcohol..........try to seek out your triggers.....best of luck!

Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
(female)

coolbunny HB User

I believe alcohol is often a trigger. Also dairy products can be. Others can be chocolate, eggs, soy, strawberries, corn, gluten.

Remember that many thyroid meds contain lactose and/or cornstarch, both of which can cause allergic reactions, especially in a person whose immune system is already compromised. I have to take specially made up hypoallergenic cellulose capsules with inert fillers. It might be best to try changing your meds.

When my husband had urticaria badly he found the homeopathic remedy Urtica 30 helped.

Also acupuncture can help I believe, and any treatment that seeks to balance the body's systems.

best of wishes
Siobbhan

Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Seems to be some misconception here about the original question. The "trigger" with this kind of urticaria is pressure... the slightest pressure from clothing, touch, or even body position while sitting, standing, or lying. What helps most is to avoid pressure... which is lots easier said than done.

Margy, are you still here? I'm interested in knowing if the problem started out mildly and then progressed to the point you are now. Have you tried prescription antihistamines too, or just OTC ones?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
(female)

karyn66 HB User

Hi there, last year, June 2007 Aussie Melbourne winter,(average 4 degrees C at night and 15 during day) I started to get itching welts red inflammed skin anywhere my clothing and especially my underwear touched me. I just applied aloe vera. At first it was not too bad and after a few weeks I got to the need to go to the doctor stage. I was given cream to put on it (i think cortisteroid) which actually made it worse. In September that year I went to Phuket, Thailand and it was still there. I saw pharmasist there and they gave me Zertec antihistamine which helped a little. I still had it when I got back to Australia and it got much worse. Every day it was in a new place. One day on my legs, next day arms and neck, next torso, some days all over my body. It drove me mad and I was in tears every day. When it took over my face and ears were very swollen, I had to go back to doctor. He gave me prednisolone steroid tablets. I took one every day for a week which helped almost immediately then stopped. It came back! I then took them for another week then it stopped again until this year about two weeks ago. Winter again.

It started where my bra was and seemed to burn a brand of my bra onto my skin then same with my panties. It seems that the rubber or elastic doesn't allow my skin to breathe and control heat so I burn from the inside out. Then it just appeared whereever, didn't matter whether clothing pressure or sitting or anything mattered. I went to doctor and he told me I probably have Cold Urticaria (mis spelt on some boards as uticaria.) He prescribed more steroids Prednisolone 25mg once a day for week and also Telfast (180mg Fexofenadine Hydrochloride). I worked out that if I took the steroid in the morning and Telfast at night it kept the urticaria away, no symptoms! Yah! I am going to try going off them after a week then if it comes back again for another week then off them, I guess take it a week at a time and see what happens. My condition doesn't seem to be diet orientated. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out the cause but to no avail. Guess I will have to wait n see how things pan out this year and then wait and see if it comes back next winter. Cheers n good luck!

Closed Thread