It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Is the feeling of something stuck in the throat common for hypothyroidism?

Hi everyone. Is the feeling of something stuck in the throat common for hypothyroidism? This feeling seems to occur when I need my meds increased. It feels like something is in my throat and I need to either swallow it or cough it up.

I have been in the slow process of trying to get regulated. I recently had follow-up blood work done and a thyroid scan and am waiting for results. I have been with this doctor since January. My previous bloodwork in August showed my Free T3 even lower than it had been the previous two tests. It will be interesting to see what the new blood work shows. I am currently on a low dose of Synthroid with Armour and the doctor is thinking of using Armour only and increasing the dose.

Any advice you can give is very appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by ticker; 11-14-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Is the feeling of something stuck in the throat common for hypothyroidism?

that certainly was one of my symptoms. in fact, its the one symptom that brought me to the docs and prompted them to check my thyroid levels. i call it 'tightness in the throat', or a "golfball stuck" sensation. very annoying. makes me want to swallow more often. makes me panicky.

my left node is in fact swollen, or was. i've been on meds a short time and the feeling has gone away (but it has come and gone in the past before i was diagnosed so i dont know if its the meds or if its just coincidence). i'm getting my first ultrasound this week.

i'm on a very low dose of synthroid, having a tough time with it. looks like i've got hashi's.

how is your ft4? if thats ok, sounds like maybe the armour increase is warranted, or cytomel which is just t3.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Ticker... Your doctor sounds like a pretty good one... willing to work with you to eliminate symptoms by tweaking the meds and prescribing Armour. That's half the battle! Good for you.

The "golf ball in the throat" is common with thyroid trouble. I had it too before I was treated. During the time my dose was slowly and steadily being raised, it would come and go. I have never had noticible thyroid swelling, and I have no nodules. My MD said the feeling in my case likely comes from inflammation of the gland, and the sensation of a rock in the throat comes from nerve irritation due to that inflammation.

I used to find myself eating more because the feeling went away during swallowing. Yikes. Lucky I didn't gain two tons.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I am glad to know this feeling is common. I have never had any swelling or nodules either. I just had another scan done.

Scoot, I hope your ultrasound comes out fine. I know it is frustrating trying to get the meds adjusted when you just want to hurry up and feel better.

Midwest, I really do like this doctor. It took a long time to find him. I just wish things didn't take so long! Eating more sounds like a fun solution! If only weight gain wasn't such a side effect of eating too much. I have gained enough weight just from this being out of whack.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread but I am interested in the "golfball in throat" feeling. I occasionally get that feeling like I just swallowed a large piece of bread or bagel and it's stuck in the bottom of my throat feeling. It can be quite painful and is only remedied when drinking water or some other fluid. It doesn't happen while eating but at any other time of day at random. I'm not sure if this is an acid reflux thing or a hypo thing. Any other hypos get this feeling?

Thanks.

Tina

Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I also get this feeling when my meds need to be increased. I also get it when my body is coming down from a dose that is too high. Once I get stabilized, the feeling goes away. It is maddening but eating does seem to help me too. My doctor said it comes from whatever thyroid I have left swelling a bit. Blessings - jrose

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
I also get this feeling when my meds need to be increased. I also get it when my body is coming down from a dose that is too high. Once I get stabilized, the feeling goes away. It is maddening but eating does seem to help me too. My doctor said it comes from whatever thyroid I have left swelling a bit. Blessings - jrose
Jrose,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It can be rather painful as sometimes I feel as my throat near my thyroid is constricting and the pain can be pretty sharp at random times. That's when I have to run to get a glass of water to alleviate the pain.

Closed Thread