It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Hairloss and itchy scalp

Hi All,
I just wanted to let you know that I was having lots of hair loss - and when thyroid problems started I started getting an itchy scalp too. I tried all kinds of shampoos - Tgel, nioxin, and scalpicin...lots of OTC stuff - no relief....FINALLY I went to the dermatologist....he diagnosed dermatitis (sub-something) dermatitis.....and prescribed a ointment/shampoo called "clobex" . It's a miracle! And my hair is NOT falling out any more! I thought my synthroid just wasn't adjusted right - but this time I guess it was a skin problem (still could have been caused by the synthroid not being right) but in the mean time no more hair loss. Wanted to share this in case it helps someone else.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

naja2005 HB User
Re: Hairloss and itchy scalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Hi All,
I just wanted to let you know that I was having lots of hair loss - and when thyroid problems started I started getting an itchy scalp too. I tried all kinds of shampoos - Tgel, nioxin, and scalpicin...lots of OTC stuff - no relief....FINALLY I went to the dermatologist....he diagnosed dermatitis (sub-something) dermatitis.....and prescribed a ointment/shampoo called "clobex" . It's a miracle! And my hair is NOT falling out any more! I thought my synthroid just wasn't adjusted right - but this time I guess it was a skin problem (still could have been caused by the synthroid not being right) but in the mean time no more hair loss. Wanted to share this in case it helps someone else.....
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for sharing . I have an appointment next week with a dermatologist.
Since my TT my hair has been falling out even more than before. I'm glad you mentioned the itchy scalp. I wonder if that is what's wrong with my hair.
Thanks again,
Tanja

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Tanja,
Are you having itchy scalp too?
K

Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Might he have said "seborrheic" dermatitis?
I've battled that all my adult life, but without any hair loss. OTC shampoos take care of my recurrent bouts, but I have needed prescription strength ones at times.
Goes to show how we should be careful of trying to attribute everything to our sick thyroids. There are other causes of symptoms besides that.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

good point - could have been coincidence that they came at the same time for me....that's the right word....thx....sure made a diff w/ my hairloss.....

Old 11-26-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
(female)

naja2005 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxKathy2
Tanja,
Are you having itchy scalp too?
K
Hi Kathy,
I do have an itchy scalp but with so many things going wrong with my body I don't pay attention to little things anymore. Did your scalp feel tender to the touch once in awhile too?
Thanks ,
Tanja

Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Tanja,
Yes it did - it's so much better now - I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to see the dermo....It was making me crazy - I would wear bandanas to try to keep from scratching it - it was very sore and itchy - I thought I had just aggravated it with nervous anxious scratching - but no - there was a real skin problem! I'm so relieved - hope you will be too!! Let me know what the doc says!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 11-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

I am glad you brought this up. Itchy scalp is another clue that I am hypo. Although I am not constipated at the time, but have anxiety, lethargy, feet hurt,hair falling out somewhat, little loss of libido, some puffiness of hands feet and face, slower heartrate and palpitations, feel depressed, some lack of motivation, slower moving. Morning temp is only around 97.2. This should be between 97.8-98.2.

Will look on the bright side, that it will improve.

Closed Thread