It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

also2tired HB User
Is it possible to have hashis, but test negative for antibodies?

My mother's side of the family has a lot of people with hypothyroid symptoms (but undiagnosed), with the exception of my grandmother who was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and could not sweat. Everyone else seems to have been diagnosed with other diseases such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, depression, anxiety disorders, overweight, etc. Years ago, doctors suspected thyroid problems in me from all of my symptoms, but I have always tested "normal" on thyroid tests. It has only been recently that I have found out information that defies what doctors declare as "normal." It just seems that there is DEFINITE INDICATION OF A FAMILY HISTORY of hypothyroidism. I know hashis is inherited, but I test under the normal range for antibodies. My results were < 10 for antithyroid peroxidase (<35) and <20 for anti-thyroglobulin AB (<40). These tests were done 2 months ago. Can you have hashis without having antibodies? Are there other forms of inherited hypothyroidism? I have struggled with hypothyroid symptoms ever since puberty. I was so tired in high school that I had to come home and sleep before I could go to band practice... My symptoms have gotten far worse since then. How could I be hypothyroid (as well as many other family members) if it is not hashis? Or can hashis be present without high antibodies? Any ideas?

Last edited by also2tired; 12-05-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

miper HB User
Re: Is it possible to have hashis, but test negative for antibodies?

I know that I was diagnosed with Hashis a couple of years ago based on slightly elevated antibodies (because I was already medicated) and now they don't even show up. My assumption is that my thyroid is still working and because I am being medicated it has stopped or at least slowed the process of my thyroid being destroyed. I think the antibody testing will always vary. I would definitely stay on top of it. It took me over a year to be diagnosed. I was tested SEVERAL times. You know in your heart something's wrong....don't give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I tested negative, but Dr. Arem diagnosed hashi's with a fine-needle biopsy that should lymphocytice thyroiditis. Apparently, this means that the gland is filled with lymphocytes, and for him, that defined Hashi's.

Karen

Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Dr. Arem wrote in his book, The Thyroid Solution that between 10 and 20 percent of Hashi's sufferers test negative for both antibodies.
For someone like you, who has the family history and multi symptoms, a fine needle biopsy could give you the diagnositic proof. Getting a doctor who puts all his faith in lab tests probably won't agree to do the FNA, though.

There is no such thing as "normal" thyroid tests. They're subjective and open to interpretation. So, any doctor who declares you "normal", without agreeing to at least a trial of thyroid hormone, is sorely ignorant of the condition.
You can post your "normal" results and lab ranges here if you want our input.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Ruuth_less HB User

Testing positive for antibodies confirms the presence of autoimmune disease.No matter how low.

there is also a correlation between TSH numbers and levels of antibodies in your system. Higer levels of TSH have been tied to higher levels of antibodies.

Upon doing a little research I have come across additional testing that can be done when one has normal test results,but classic hypO symptons.

A test for transthyretrin (also known as prealbumin) .thyroid hormone is carried through the bloodstream and the brain by transthyretrin. Even when all other hormones are normal, a low level of transthyretrin could mean that you are not producing enough thyroid hormones and that is not being delivered to the cells.

Another test for TRH (thyrotropin-releasing hormone) stimulation test.It can show whether a patient is suffering from an underactive thyroid even when routine thyroid tests reveal nothing.
it involves measuring TSH..then an injection of TRH is given. 25 minutes later blood is drawn and TSH is measured again. If the measures from the second TSH test are high then the patients thyroid is underactive.

Hope this helps...
LisetteO not hypO

Closed Thread