It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Hashimotos, does it go way after it eats up the thyroid?

hey guys, I have hashimotos and have a question after seeing another so called top doc, he says that i have about one more year for my thyroid tissue to be totally destroyed, now after the thyroid is destroyed does hashimoto go away for sure? or does it attack some other organ I am so lost with this, also do you feel better once the thyroid is gone for good?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: Hashimotos, does it go way after it eats up the thyroid?

Hmmmm, I have never heard of this........your thyroid will remain under attack as long as it is there with hashi's. The only way to "stop" the attack is to have it removed. Those antibodies don't just stop one day and say there, we have killed it. I think you might need a dr much better versed on hashi's. It doesn't have a set date for when it is done. Your thyroid won't be gone either if it is dead, then you just have dead tissue in your body, which is what I had and it can make for a very sick person.

perhaps can you find a better dr?

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

No, that's not true....with a bad case of Hashi's, the thyroid gets scarred up. Mine is already showing signs of dying off, which is what I am hoping for.
Once the thyroid is dead, who cares what the antibodies do cause you cannot have any symptoms any longer. When its dead, assuming you are on Synthroid or something by then, the scar tissue will atrophy (shrink) the entire gland eventually and the case should theoretically be closed - meds for life.

I can tell you from my own experience that my hyper periods are nothing nearly as bad as they were 2 or 3 years ago. At that time my blood pressure and heart rate were shooting up insanely. Now that my thyroid is finally dying and I am starting to turn more and more hypo enough to take meds very soon, I feel much better than I did back then, but it was a very rough few years. I still get really bad hyper flare ups but I think Im mostly hypo now, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

desertwalker77 HB User

I agree with Karen. If I were you I would talk to some more Doctors. I have Hasimoto's and my antibodies are normal/low (which doesn't mean alot) My docs believe that my thyroid is pretty much dead and let me tell you I am sicker than I've ever have been with this. So sick that there removing it. Leaving a diseased dead gland in your body is not a good thing and can make you very sick.

Don't believe everything you hear from your Dr. Get more opinions.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

hmmm, well my surgeon said that my entire left lobe was dead and had turned into total inflammation...........and not all cases of hashi's end in atrophy. Like mine, about 45% of the cases end in fibrosis of the damaged tissue resulting in a hardening and stickiness of the tissue. That is what I had and it was literally stuck, like gum to all the internal structures. Atrophy is more common but not by much at all.

The best thing to do is keep regular ultrasounds done. Even so there are a couple of us on here that were in much worse shape than indicated on the US.

Karen

Old 12-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
(female)

desertwalker77 HB User

Yeah, I can't wait to see what they find in there when they open me up.
YIKES!

Old 12-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I guess they can never know for sure until they see it. Im sure mine is a sticky and/or atrophied mess by now.

The thyroid has an insane ability to pump out juice so even if there is the tiniest amount of working thyroid tissue still left and undisturbed from the hashis you can have the symptoms. The symptoms dont come fromt he antibodies, they come from the antibodies interferring with the output of the gland....if the gland had been completely destroyed by hashis, theoretically, you should no longer have hashi symptoms but be very hypo. However, it takes an aful lot to kill a working gland. That's the whole story behind RAI - RAI does not remove anything - it literally speeds the dying process so the outcome is the same as it could be with hashis. Problem is, most people's glands don't completely die and its that little bit of working gland that cuases all the trouble. RAI on the other hand, kills nearly all functional thyroid cells and surgery obviously removes it.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Yeah, the surgeon said mine was literally like working with a horrible sticky bubble gum..........it was just strung and stuck to everything. It sounded gross. He also said that huge amount of inflammation in the body...........that dead lobe filled with firbrosis can make your whole body go into a fight mode because of all the dead tissue and that nasty inflammation. I never had hypo symptoms, only hyper...............like the massive weight loss, nervous, shakey, nausea, sweating with bouts of extreme cold..................feverish, very werid. I don't think there is any one "recipe" for hashi's.

Hey how is your wife doing, Nasty? Is she recovered from your loss this fall?

Karen

Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Yes, thanks for asking. Turns out, she's got Hashi's. Can you friggin believe it? BOTH of us?

I was not "looking" for anything but she had complained once in a while of dizziness and shortness of breath and since our first baby, she added some weight that she could not lose. For the hell of it, I had her tested. TSH of 12. A month later, retested, TSH of 5. I told my "top doc" about it and he sent her for one of my "mac daddy" sets of labs. Sure enough, her TG antibodies were about 400, much higher than normal. Doc put her on 1/2 grain Armour which she has taken twice now and so far she feel a little more pep but nothing to mention. Unlike me, my wife is soooo mello....it makes me sick. I nicknamed her "coma girl" or "Garfield" cause she is so even-keeled and never worries about anything.....nothing seems to disturb her. I guess opposites attract. I fly off the handle over everything and am so tightly wound in comparison....total nervous wreck all thre time. I guess its a good combo for the two of us.

Additionally, the doc tested her Progesterone and it didnt even register on the test results so we're gonna get her a shot of Progesterone and try again after the Armour and progesterone kicks in. No wonder we had those miscarriages all in a row.

Who would have thought me and my wife both having Hashis? She has no family history of thyroid whatsoever. I still swear its this damned Florida water or something in my house. We both fell apart shortly after buying this house we are in.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 12-11-2005 at 09:23 AM.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Nasty, I am sorry your wife has hashi's too. However, do you think that perhaps now you found an answer to these miscarraiges? I sure do hope so.

I am glad you insisted on getting her tested!

Karen

Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #11
(female)

SusanNYS HB User

I am confused. I thought that by taking a hormone replacement - like synthroid - that the Hashi's is "arrested". Am I wrong?

Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

No, the meds just help the struggling gland.............hashi's is an autoimmune disease, there is no way to arrest it per say. It can be a very mild disease for some though.

Karen

Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey wonderful people, thanks for your responses

this disease is so darn confusing I mean each doc tells me different things, anyway i have an appt with a surgeon but I am not sure if they will want to remove my thyroid since its very small, and I heard the surgery is risky.. they say it can mess up the vocal cords etc...

by the way i got an untrasound 2 months ago it says I have no nodules! when I had about 6 or so some months back. and I am more shocked since I had RAI, then myxedema coma and am hypo and the CLINICAL INDICATION SAYS -HYPERTHYROID-- i was shocked and just got a copy form my doc here is what it says,

CLINICAL INDICATION SAYS -HYPERTHYROID

sonography of the thyroid was performed in teh transverse and longitudinal planes and demostrates relatively small thyroid measuring 1.9 x.4x.5 cm on the right and 2.7 x.8 cm on the left. echogenecity is homogeneous, no cystic or solid nodules are demonstarted

IMPRESSION
RELATIVELY SMALL ALTHOUH HOMOGENEOUSLY APPEARING THYROID

I am not sure what to think this must be a mistake that it says I have hyperthyroid?

Old 12-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am not sure if a doc will operate on me since it isnt showing any nodules??

i am not sure why the doc says I have about another bad year left for the thyroid to die off, he figues i will be fine afterwards? he doesnt see hashimoto as a big deal!

he is a top doc form that list online oh yeah and he also only tests tsh! he ownt be seeing me around there anytime soon.

Last edited by jennyVee; 12-13-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bump? hoping someone would answer lol

Closed Thread