It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
PMS & thyroid unbearable can this be hormonal?

Hi Girls, I wanted to ask you all a question, i usually have only 2 sane weeks out of themonths, on the weeks that I have PMS its so horrible, I mean I get so sick this has never happened to me before I had thyroid problems, my body temp goes down, I get very lethargic, very tired, and my blood pressure gets very low 80/50's, sometimes it gets lower and i stumble and get soo dizzyy, i get chest pains, and i get so tired and moody that its unreal and the anxiety is horrendous.

I used to always end up going to the ER every month, and then I noticed the dates that I went to the ER and it was always from the 20th of the month to about the 12th , so i figured out something is definately not right around that time, ince I get my period around the 10th-12th or so.so now I keep an onlien journal and that helps me compare the days when i am sick and how i felt the month before this is nuts ,its as if I dont have a life for 2 weeks out of the month, cant cook or clean I mean the tiredness is horrible, and i am normally a very actibe person.

I am wondering if any of you go through this, a friend says maybe I have an estrogen dominance? i dont know what to think, I have kept track of my symptoms by doing a journal online, and type in how I feel daily and I get the same symtpoms every month, and as soon as my period stops I am back to normal, with more energy, do any of you have this problem?? i was thinking of getting birth control pills but am not sure if they interract with thyroid meds.

Oh i also wanted to add that i have a fibroid

Last edited by jennyVee; 12-13-2005 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User
Re: PMS & thyroid unbearable can this be hormonal?

It does sound a lot like estrogen dominance. A little natural progesterone might help you - read up on the condition and see if it might benefit you.

Good Luck,

Ora

Old 12-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi and thanks for responding do you think progesterone can really cause this mess to happen in my body, anyway should i get a saliva test for female hormones my doc says they are useless?

The Following User Says Thank You to jennyVee For This Useful Post:
gugu (08-02-2012)
Old 12-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I've heard that, too - that saliva tests are useless. Mostly mainstream docs say that - as opposed to holistic and/or naturopaths. My doc is a holistic MD, which means he treats me with bioidentical hormones. He uses both blood tests and saliva, but for my female hormones, estrogen and progesterone, he used blood tests. I was a miserable wreck for many years, becoming totally disabled after being untreated for several years because they "couldn't find anything wrong." I know now it was autoimmune thyroid disease, adrenal fatigue, as well as estrogen dominance.

About 5 years ago, a doc ran a blood test for estrogen, (I was bleeding for months on end) and he thought I was pregnant since it was so high. I wasn't pregnant, obviously, but he never bothered to explain why my estrogen was as high as it would be if I were pregnant, nor did he try to treat me with some progesterone to balance it out. Just let me continue to bleed and bleed, and to feel like crap. At the time, I knew nothing about this stuff, so I just suffered for another 5 years - until I found my holistic doc.

Do a Google search for "symptoms of estrogen dominance" and read what you find. It might surprise you how an imbalance between estrogen and progesterone can wreak havoc on a woman's system.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi and sorry to her about how much you have suffered, and for so long, I also feel disabled, i have 2 small children and my poor husband cannot count on me much 2 weeks out of the month thats how sick i am, its horrible and of coure that causes major depression, so i can imagine what you have been through, i also think I have adrenal fatigue. my endo sent me for a cortisol test, how did you find out you had adrenal fatigue ia saliva tests or blood tests?

my docs dont help much at all, I will ask for my female hormones to be checked via a blood test, i have hashimoto, is that what you have too? that alone can be a pain to deal anyway my periods are a bit irregular but i dont bleed alot only for 3 days, but aside form that i am a mess, i also have a fibroid which doesnt help much with this mess, i wish i could find a good holistic doc in my area because my medical doc doesnt know much of anything, anyway i will read up on this now and hopefully i will find some help soon, I dread when the end of the month comes since I get so sick. thanks again

Old 12-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

Andi_1 HB User

No - they don't react with the meds generally - i'm on monofemme and i swear by it and have had no problems at all with it interacting with the carbimazole I am taking for graves/hyperthyroidisim, if it wasn't for monofemme i'd have the same hell as you. Hey, the good thing is, when you really just CAN NOT handle a period that month, skip it!!! Its completely safe to - no more than three months at one time.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Goodness I read the symptoms and I have all of them! should i just use preogesterone or take birth control pills?

Old 12-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
(female)

Andi_1 HB User

Ask your doctor what is best for you, and if you don't get the right answers or are not sure - CHANGE YOUR DOCTOR - if it were up to me, I'd stick with the birth control, at least you know what you are taking and that there wil be no symptoms - we have to put enough crap (meds and such) into our bodies for this nasty thing - why take MORE 'dodgy' meds? Less is better I say.

Last edited by Andi_1; 12-13-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: left stuff out

Old 12-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

My thyroid symptoms get worse during PMS too. I have been having miscarriages and bleeding for over a year now.

It's been insane! I am on the patch for a month right now to see if it will help balance things out. I've felt really well since being on it and only spotted once (when it was time to change the patch). After this month I'll be starting progesterone supplements (Crinone...a natural progesterone vaginal suppository). We'll see if it actually helps. I chose the patch instead of oral contraceptives because I was concerned the oral would interfere with my meds (I don't want to have to worry about working out the timing...too much thinking!!).

My OB assumes that I have low levels of both estrogen and progesterone. He doesn't feel blood tests or saliva tests are effective because it's how much estrogen/progesterone the body is utilizing that is important not how much is actually circulating. I don't know if his reasoning is correct or not.

Estrogen dominance is common. It's probably very common among women with hypoT because the ovaries need thyroid hormone to produce progesterone.

I used progesterone cream for several months but didn't notice a difference in how I felt at all. Maybe I wasn't using enough or maybe I didn't use it long enough...I don't know (I went off it because my dr prescribed Prometrium for me and I couldn't use them both together).

If you can find a holistic dr that will help you out that seems the best way to go. There's one a few hours from my house but I can't afford the testing or the treatments (he uses a lot of testing and treatments not covered by insurance).

I hope you're able to find relief! I honestly wish I could stay on the patch (dr doesn't want me on it for more than a month). If I continue to bleed after I use the Crinone I may give it another month and then go back on the patch if things haven't regulated. I can't just keep bleeding and feeling so badly! I finally feel relatively normal again.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi kelly, I am so sorry about what you have been through sounds like a nightmare

I definately must have the estrogen dominance, by the way i also have a uterine fibroid,

I want to get the birth control patch but i have heard it can cause blood clots there are many law suits because of this

anyway I am definately going to try and find a holistc doc for this mess, i thought a obgyn would work, but i cant find any good ones in my area,I know the holistic docs can be pretty expensive, I had a friend who suggested prog cream I used it for some days but didnt notice a difference, i definately need at least birth control pills, i was going to ask my doc for yasmin.

I havent been bleeding alot only for about 3 days every month but the PMS and the 2 weeks before my period are pure horrible. I really hope I find help fast since I cannot take it anymore i am so miserable, thanks so much for your support and god bless you guys

Old 12-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way let me know how the prog suppositories work for you? I have heard its used for women that cant get pregnant, it makes them for fertile, god knows i wouldnt want any more kids not in my condition, but i guess with my hypo/hashi/fibroid i probably couldnt get pregnant anyway.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Andi, what is monofemme and how does it work, also how do you skip your periods? by taking the monofemme or prog cream? i am all new to this so sorry for all the questions thanks so much

Old 12-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
(female)

appleofearth HB User

I was having exactly the same problem with my cycle, sometimes I felt fine and about 2 weeks a month I swung back around to hypo. I did some investigating and found a graph which shows where your hormones are at which day of the month and decided that it was the oestrogen making me ill, so I decided that I needed to stabilise my hormone levels so that I could be taking a dose of thyroxine that worked all month.

SO, I went to the doctor and asked about the progesterone only "mini pill", which is a birth control pill with fewer side effects than that combined pill and none of that pesky oestrogen to mess with my thyroid, started taking it and now I feel a lot better... how well it works for you depends on how well your body responds to synthetic progestrogen, some people get on a lot better with the cream as that's much closer to the natural hormone I believe.

Another great thing about the progesterone only pill - you take it every day, no week long breaks to keep track of and it usually stops you getting periods after a few months, yay!

Hope that was some help...

Becky

Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Hi again :)

I can't find the exact graph I was looking at but this one looks fairly similar:
***you'll have to google it yourself i'm afraid*** :P

This is how it worked for me anyway; at around day 25 my progesterone levels dropped off and I started to feel hypo, stomach got really cross and I was tired and sluggish, then I got back to day 1 and had my period and got progressively worse until about day 12, when my oestrogen levels started falling. Finally around day 16 I had more progesterone than oestrogen and started feeling good again up until my progesterone dropped etc... being a girl is great fun isn't it? ;) my timings didn't match up with the graph that exactly, but it was close enough for me to be able to work out what was happening :)

I'm in the UK and the Progesterone only pill is also known as the mini-pill here, I don't know about other places. It only stops your period for as long as you take the pill, no different to the combined pill - the bleeding that people get with that is actually a withdrawal symptom because they've stopped taking the pills for a week. This one you need to keep in your system all the time so you don't take breaks and therefore don't usually get periods. It's not quite as effective a contraceptive as the combined pill apparently but it's pretty close, you can always use condoms as well if you're not prepared to trust it - I use it for the stabilising effect it has on my hormones and use condoms as well so I don't have to panic if i take my pill late!

Anyway, I found it helped a lot with making my thyroid stay still so I could try to get to a stable thyroxine dose. Ask your doctor about it if you think it might help you as well :)

Becky

Last edited by appleofearth; 12-14-2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: removing the link to the graph :P

Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks for posting all that info it will look into it, all That sounds very interesting, I will discuss this with the doc I am trying to find one because I have not had much luck lately with doctors I have been having to figure out everything on my own.

Last edited by jennyVee; 12-14-2005 at 02:13 PM.

Closed Thread