HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Just diagnosed with TSH level of 50.23 need help! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/349400-just-diagnosed-tsh-level-50-23-need-help.html)

thechief 12-15-2005 06:01 PM

Just diagnosed with TSH level of 50.23 need help!

Hello to everyone, I've been just diagnosed 4 days ago with being hypo. A TSH level of 50.23 and a t3 level of 7. The doctor seemed really concerned because also in the blood work came back Strep. A and Staph bacteria in the blood. He has me on antibiotics to kill the bugs and the lowest level of levi. I have been feeling real crappy, tired and depressed for 6 months or so now. Is this level of TSH high? I need somebody to tell me in english what this all means. I've been tossed around all week and have just been able to sit down and see on the internet what the hells going on. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Jason
Ontario, Canada

Changedusername 12-15-2005 06:16 PM

Re: Just diagnosed with TSH level of 50.23 need help!

Where to begin...? Well, for starters a TSH of 50+ is very high. Normal is around .89 - 1.4. Mine is at 16, which is considered pretty high.

TSH is a reverse indicator of thyroid function. When the number goes up, it means your thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormone. When it goes down, to zero in many cases, it means you are producing too much.

There are 2 main components if you will of thyroid hormone. T3 and T4. The thyroid produces mainly T4 which some of is converted into T3 by the liver. Essentially if you are hypo, you take some replacement T4 in most cases and get your levels up to snuff. When your levels rise, your TSH should drop to normal levels. That's the short, partial version. You gotta do a few searches on the net and read some old posts on these boards....theres tons of info out there.

From a practical standpoint, a TSH of 50 is not usually life or death by any means. Some people here have had a TSH in the 200's and didn't even know it. The hypo could explain the tiredness and other problems.

What you want initially at least is a FULL thyroid panel done. In fact you probably want a full workup done to see if there is anything else going on.

I suggest at a minimum, and you can look each of these tests up on your own to see what they do:

TSH retest
Free T4
Free T3
Total T4
Total T3
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO Ab)
Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TG Ab)

that's the minimum....next, I would want an additional workup to see what's going on in your system (Im not a doctor by the way but have been through the wringer with my hashis)

CMP
CBC
ACTH
Cortisol
Testosterone, Free and Weakly Bound (probably low due to hypo)
Prolactin (probably high due to hypo)
Magnesium
Serum Ferritin (Iron)
Cholesterol (probably high due to hypo)

That's a start for you...when you got some time do some research...you can type each of those tests into a search to see what each does and to find out how they correlate to hypothyroidism.

thechief 12-15-2005 06:30 PM

thank you very much i'll check that out.

thechief 12-17-2005 05:53 AM

does anyone else have any information as to how much hormone I should take, how should I feel with a level like this. Is this level high? Does this level affect the pituitary gland in any way?
Thanks