It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

Laurah28 HB User
Some serious questions about thyroid problems...

Hello all
I have been on synthroid for hypothyroidism for about a year now. I am feeling much better than I was last year at this time. Today I was just wondering what would happen to me if I couldn't get my synthriod medication? What happens to someone when they discontinue the medication? (I am NOT considering stopping the med- just wondering) I ask because it scares me to think for the rest of my life, if I am not near a pharmacy and can't get my meds what will happen to me?
Plus, is it just me or does it seem like thyroid problems are very common. Was it always like this and people just lived without knowing or is there something in our lives today that is causing all this ill health?
I don't know much about thyroid disorders.. I'm just now getting to reading up on it and I really don't know where to start. There seems to be so much conflicting information. I don't even know how I would ever 'know' anything just by reading books about the subject.
Thanks for any replies in advance! -Laurah

Old 12-17-2005, 03:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
Re: Some serious questions about thyroid problems...

Hello Laurah,
I've had these same questions - It worries me too - but I just have to be hopeful that we live in a time when communications and transportation are such that they can get medications across the world quickly if need be so that there will always be synthroid on hand and then I try to leave the rest to powers greater than me....I too wonder about why so many are having these troubles - I suspect it may have something to do with pollution - but I don't have any real evidence - I think the best thing we can do it try to protect our health the best way we can with all the preventative measures we can think of.....and help each other with support groups like this one.....
hope some of this helps....
Best wishes,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User
Re: Some serious questions about thyroid problems...

Its nearly impossible these days to not be close to a pharmacy. This topic has come up here in the past. First, if you had not had your thyroid removed from surgery, whatever is left would probably swell up in an effort to pump out more hormone, keeping you alive for several days. Next, even without a thyroid, death is not spur of the moment. The residual thyroid in your system should keep you alive and fairly functional for a few days at least. As the thyroid levels in your system falls, you would obviously become worse and worse off, turning really hypo.

If you were stranded on a deserted island you would shoot or trap some wild pigs (preferably) or other wild animals and with surgical precision remove and cook up the thyroid gland and eat it. This would give you the hormone you need too but it would be extremely difficult to regulate obviously.

If you were stuck somewhere with limited meds, you would probably opt to turn yourself a little hypo by rationing your dose, splitting each pill you have left into quarters or eighths so you can get at least some hormone for a prolonged period of time. A little hypo is better than dead.

Other than that, you would pretty much be up a creek eventually.

Closed Thread