It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
temp 97.4

what does that suggest? i havent been feeling well for a few days so i figured i'd see if i had a fever. i've got the opposite. i'm not sure what this means.

any ideas?

thnx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #2
(female)

maria konoff HB User
Re: temp 97.4

have your adrenal checked. i run as low as 96.8 recently. feeling fat fuzzy and frazzled book by dr shames is awesome, may help get you started on what to look for re your adrenal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

hi

i did have them checked. levels about 6 weeks ago showed 'depressed' function. so i definitely know there is a problem there. my cortisol levels are a bit off.

i only checked my temp today becuase for a few days now i've felt mild dizziness, some mild nausea, a dull headache, and just overall feeling a little out of it.

i'm still working my way up on thyroid meds to take care of the hypo. i'm also on toprol for palpitations/tachycardia.

i dont know whats wrong with me!!

Last edited by scoot; 12-19-2005 at 06:36 AM.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

You know, interestingly enough I just researched some issue about body temp. I found that AVERAGE body temp, according to the books is actually 98.6 degrees +- a degree or two. Meaning, it is actually NORMAL to have a temp RANGE.

"What is your normal body temperature? It's probably not 98.6 °F, the oft-quoted average that was determined in the nineteenth century. A recent study has reported an average temperature of 98.2 °F."

"Our findings conflicted with Wunderlich's in that 36.8 degrees C (98.2 degrees F) rather than 37.0 degrees C (98.6 degrees F) was the mean oral temperature of our subjects.... Thirty-seven degrees centigrade (98.6 degrees F) should be abandoned as a concept relevant to clinical thermometry...."

From what I've found, it is quite normal to have a waking basal temperature of 97.2 - 98.2. In fact, most people cool down during sleep because the metabolism slows down during rest so there is no need to be hot. 97.4 waking basal temp seemed to be the norm. My opinion is that although temperature, if taken daily at the same time, can be a gage FOR YOU to find changes, but is not a tool to be used to compare to others, unless you are reading a 96.0 body temp each morning. At those low temps, you are just hypo most likely.

Out of curiosity I asked both my parents, my brother and wife all to take their temps one night and they all have healthy thyroids except for my mother. All mody temps were like 97.2, 97.9 and mine was like 98.6 at the time. I was the only "normal" body temp in the bunch and Im the one with the most problems. I just no longer believe body temp is as useful a gage of wellness as I once thought it was.

It does help to see if you are getting better. IE: Your morning body temp is 95 degrees every single day and you start taking Armour or Synthroid and your body temp slowly rises over time to 98.2 in the morning, then you know you are getting better. However, it does not tell you that you are messed up if you wake up to find your temp is only 97.4. A case can be made for the fact that during the height of your day, when you are awake, moving and fed, the body temp of a healthy person should probably be between 97.9 and 98.9 for most people.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

thnx nasty

perhaps it was just my waking temp. my normal daytime temp is always "low" according to the 98.6 standard, - a standard that is questionable according to your research.

my normal daytime temp is usually around 98.2-4.

when i called my cardio, they said 97.4 isnt anything to worry about, doesnt suggest anything is wrong.

thnx

Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
(female)

maria konoff HB User

scoot
when thyroid is off so is adrenal......i am taking tons of b vitamins to help and vitamin c until i am up to ideal thyroid levels. the book i references is awesome and helps explain how the thyroid effects your adrenal and pituitary glands...

Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I found that to be very true, Nasty, about the temps...about each person having their own "range" and only using temps, very low temps as ONE indication that something may be askew.

For me, though I suffer with some kind of thyroid problems, my AM temp is just as you said what the new normal is....about 97.2...and after I ovulate, it does go up to about 98.2 as a waking temp....In fact, truth be told, in my case I don't think my temp was ever really effected in any significant way by my thyroid problems (Graves and now hypo I think)...only exception was when I was very, very, very overdosed on thryoid replacements.....

and I agree that the temperature as an indication of how to dose medications or whatever is way overrated....in fact when I believed it, all it did was get me overdosed. I do not believe any more! I have also heard that even if you do go for the temp thing as a way to guage wellness, for the body temp to actually rise and remain that way can take actually a year or more.

Great info on a common misconception umong thyroid folks...thanks! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 12-19-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Closed Thread