It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

browneyegurl HB User
Leg and muscle weakness

For the past 2 months I've had what my doctor is saying is fibromyalgia, which I've read that many doctors feel could be untreated hypothyroidism. However my most recent labs look fairly normal. TSH - 1.75 (0.27 - 4.20) and FT4 - 1.08 (0.93 - 1.70). I am feeling better, but still have such weakness in my legs. Anytime I slightly over exert myself, even climbing a flight of stairs, I can feel my muslces straining. At times I also feel this same weakness in my neck and arms. Wondering if anyone else has had the same symptoms and what you were told. I am also dealing with a sore mouth and costochondritis (which is improving).

While this may be only fibromyalgia the thought of having a thyroid problem that could be treated makes me want to keep digging until I feel comfortable with what I am being told by my doctor. The only thing I know for sure is that I do have 2 small thyroid nodules and have had bouts of thyroiditis. Tried a low dose of Levoxyl twice and didn't do well on it. Any thoughts???

Old 12-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: Leg and muscle weakness

Well, in all actuality your labs are not that good. Your tsh is a little higher than most people feel good at. Most feel best with it no higher than 1 and your free t4 could certainly come up some. Also, you need to have your free t3 run to see if you need some help in that area.

Most muscle problems respond well to an increase, my surgeon told me that he does not believe that all this CFS and Fibro exists, he said it is mostly undertreated hypo patients.

See if you can get an adjustment in your meds before just being told you have fibro and leaving it at that.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Kant, I have made myself and endo appointment to see what he thinks. I pulled out my last Ft3 and it was 2.90 (2.57 -4.43). Does that seem a little low to you??? I am currently taking no meds other than magnesium and B vitamins. I also have had an FSH test which says I am menopausal. I imagine that doesn't help anything.

Thanks for you input. I do appreciate it so much.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I don't have fibromylagia but I do have some of the same symptoms.

Before I began treatment I was using a cane due to weakness in my hips and thighs (had weakness in my shoulders too). I couldn't get up my stairs without help, my legs shook when I stood up from or sat down in a chair. Hair drying my hair took forever because I had to stop frequently when my arms became tired.

I also have costochondritis periodically (usually lasts a week or two). I just had a bout of it last week and the week before.

I think your numbers look a little off as well but more importantly you need to have your antibodies tested; specifically Tg and TPO.

As Karen (Kant) knows, nodules can make you feel crummy as can high antibodies.

An endo may or may not be helpful it's hard to say. I do hope you can get the antibodies tested if nothing else!

Also, Levoxyl may not have been the right med for you. Maybe trying something different would help...there are a variety of generic and brand name meds to choose from.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 12-22-2005, 02:59 AM   #5
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Kelly, that costo is nasty stuff, huh? I was doing so much better with it unitl I went to my regular doctor for a check up Tuesday. He pushed around on it which made me a little sore again. However, it's nothing like it was several weeks ago. Also, I will definitely request those antibody tests at my endo appointment in January.

Thanks for your input!

Closed Thread