It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
(female)

robinhy HB User
high mercury levels

I'm back...lost my net connection for about 10 days. Anyway, still going up and down with my symptoms after 20 days on 1 grain. I have found that iron is helping, especially with my 'hot flashes'. Actually I don't really think they're hot flashes because they can last for several hours.

Anyway, latest test results show...

low zinc
low cobalt (haven't a clue about this yet)
high aluminium
high quick silver (mercury)...sounds serious

I've just started on meds to reduce my mercury. I'd love to hear comments from other about the whole mercury thing.

I' m hoping this will sort out the 'why' when it comes to my Rx thyroid intolerance. I know that mercury is important for T4 to T3 conversion but my T3 has always been higher than my T4 so I have never thought of myself as having a conversion problem. However pure T4 literally makes me crazy and armour is a MUST but it still is difficult, the higher the dose the worse I usually feel. That's why I'm still not stable on meds...the side effects can be absolutely unbearable. Does this still sound like a conversion problem even when my T3 is higher that T4???

Robin

Old 12-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: high mercury levels

Hi Robin! Nice to hear from you again ...I myself have been up and down as well. Like you, I also seem to have more trouble than the usual person in tolerating meds! I finally upped my meds on my own but only by 12.5 synthroid as when I tried to up by 25mcg I felt MORE hypo like as my pitutary sensed the increase in hormone and shut donw what little production I had from my own thyroid leaving me more hyp0o than before the increase (UGH!!!!)...so at 37.5 and taking it at night, I am not quite as tired, but definitely not there yet...why I have soooo much trouble I don't know and my body just does not like ANY hormone which is not its own...same for Armour!

I switched back to synthroid as I was getting way too much T3 (and my T4 was also way up there as well) and it was making me even more brained fogged as well as other symptoms.....I did not appear to have a conversion problem either, but I tried Armour as it is natural and all and so many folks seem to do well...but I switched back when it became clear that my T3 was so much higher...but like you, I seem to also have trouble with the plain T4, but I am going very slowly and hoping this will help.....

Finished my liver detox and I can't say that I have had any dramatic results, and I vaguely continue the diet...and am trying to stay away from the "really" bad stuff...ok, I cheated once or twice!

I have read and heard from other posters about mercury poisioning...staying away from too much canned tuna and salmon and other fish, shell fish, that may have mercury....and folks getting all their mercury fillings taken out and stuff like that...seems like some folks really do feel better once this problem has been addressed. For me I have only (lucky...only part of my body in good condition!) only two mercury fillings..so at this point I am not too worried about it. But for you with blood test like that you may also want to check into the filling thing with your dentist.

Also, low zinc should be addressed. I am currently taking a natural (no additives or soy or iodine) multiple vitamin with zinc, and selenium (small amount) and copper and a few other minerals and all the Bs and you may want to try that as well...especially Zinc seems to be important.....but apparently you need to BALANCE it with copper if I remember correctly.....

Did you have a nice Christmas? New Year here is big, as you know...in-laws are visiting and we have to get the osechi-riyori going! Hope what I said helped a bit! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 12-30-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Hi,

The mercury thing is an interesting topic, subject to much controversy. Much of my experience with this, is from my own experimentation.

In 1978 a doctor told me that I was too fat, too old, and to not run more than a hundred yards. Another doctor and I discussed the possibility of having fibrotitis, which is now called fibromyalgia.

It's a very long story, but with much experimentation with foods, herbs, and eventually replacing my mercury fillings with porcelain fillings, I recovered from years and years of aches and pains. There were times, I could not walk to save my life because of the lower back pains. I had to sit, to relieve the pain. Now, I run 19.5 miles each week on a regular basis.

I speak about this not as a scientist, but as an ordinary person who has recovered. My diet now is mostly natural non-processed foods, and I still occasionally take my herbals teas.

Not only did I remove the poisonous mercury from my mouth, but I also avoid fish now for the same reason. I don't want to take any chances. Apparently, some fish are nearly mercury-free, but I just won't consume them anymore (except for a very small amount once in a long while).

There's an ongoing debate, on whether the mercury fillings contribute to a significant level of a person's toxic load. It all depends on how many mercury fillings you have, the type of mercury fillings, how much you chew, how many gold fillings with mercury fillings you have, and if you consume a lot of hot drinks. There are (I'm sure) other variables as well. So we really don't know until we analyze all of those conditions. Studies upon people who have died have shown a correlation of mercury in their tissues, in relation to the number or mercury fillings they had. So the debate continues....

I'm just glad that I got rid of my mercury fillings about 11 years ago. We can let the scientists do their research, and for the rest of us...some of us feel so much better not having those mercury fillings in our mouth.

I'll write more about this, if you would like...just let me know.

Last edited by rhody; 12-30-2005 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
(female)

robinhy HB User

Thanks from both of you for your input. I was starting to think I wouldn't get I reply on this one.

The last few days have been fairly good, lots of vits and minerals plus natural progesterone cream. I'm not really doing detox (although I probably should) but I'm taking some natural meds. I will give detox a try after the holidays are over...don't see the point otherwise.

I think most of my mercury came about when I had my fillings removed, I think about 10 in all (don't laugh!!!). It seems I vaguely remember swallowing something during the process. This was all done about 1 or 2 years before the thyroid and everything else went to hell...hum. I've had several people tell me there is a special way that amalgams should be removed and there was nothing special about the way mine were removed. I do also eat tuna, fresh, but I'm taking a long break from that.

Rhody...19.5 per week, what an inspiration. Thanks for that I needed it. It seems to me I also saw something about alzheimers patients having high mercury levels. I'm at high risk...as if the thyroid thing wasn't enough Yeah, more info would always be interesting.

Pixiek, sounds like you're doing slightly better than when I last heard from you. That's really good to hear esp. with the holidays and the in-laws!!! Have you tried natural progesterone cream - no need to wait for meno. I think it's proving to be a major helper for me. Either that and/or the iron. I've already started doing the zinc. My copper tested high normal so for now I'm not too worried about low copper levels. What is osechi-riyori? That's a new one for me.

The natural meds I'm taking for my mercury highly 'recommends' 3 bowel movements per day...right...with hypoT..ha ha ha!! I started drinking flax seed oil...yum

6 hours till 2006 - see you on the other side. Have a nice slide into the new!!

Robin

Old 12-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Three bowels!? that gave me a laugh! Ya, right!

I am waiting until after the new year and all holidays as well to re-contact my doc in Maine. I have read and heard a lot about projesterone cream (natural) including positive and negative...I have also read about the "build up "of projesterone in your system from taking it and the adverse effect that may have...I am interested but cautious and I guess I will see what the doc will say next.

Speaking of mecury....for new year meal it is traditon in this family to have crab...major shell fish and good grief I bet lots of stuff I shouldn't have in it! Today after consuming that yesterday (I knew I was taking a chance) I feel the usual not so good, but my eye lids are dragging on the floor...hmmm...make you wonder! Soooo, no left-overs of crab for me today!

More in-laws today...phew! Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 12-31-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

robinhy HB User

I think the day after my last post my health went down the toilet. That's what I get for saying I was actually feeling almost good. I wonder if all this stuff I'm taking to flush out the mercury is causing a even stronger reaction to mercury, temporary, I hope. I'm back to being exhausted, swelling all over, headache, and a real WITCH with a capital B. I found a chat room that specializes in mercury so I'll see what I can find out.
Maybe it's the 3-bowel-movements-a-day thing or lack there of!!
Robin

Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

I might have an answer for you: when I was doing my liver detox a member who had been though detox and a thyroid sufferer said to be careful that the detox would not flush out my replacment meds as had happened to her leaving her feeling more hypo after she had been feeling well. So, yes, your mecury flushing meds could also be flushing out your thyroid meds, I think.

SOOOO, when I did my liver detox to help avoid this I took my thyroid meds sublingually at LEAST four hours away from my detox meds.

Also the mercury flush itself, like my liver detxo, may make you feel not so hot for a while...I kind of adjusted after a few days. Also my doct told me if I was feeling really too bad to go more slowly on the flushing...keep following the diet, but to go slowly on the flushing meds...take less of it ....you might want to talk to your doctor about it...also I wonder if flushing out is a problem, I wonder if you can slightly increase your thyroid meds to compensate for a while? Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 01-03-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #8
(male)

hesoverthere HB User

Hi,

I've been having a lot of problems that suggest i have hypothyroid, i'm not sure exactly though... The doctor said I need to wait to get my blood test results back but he says he thinks so. Really I'm just trying to think ahead, be prepared. I look online and find some causes for something hypoT and i see some people say mercury. If mercury (or other metals i guess) is causing your hypoT? then how do you get rid of it, i mean once it is in. your body how do you get it out? Just trying to cover all my bases ahead of time, any info is helpful. thanks~

Old 01-04-2006, 02:32 AM   #9
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

Drinking flax oil, huh? I take that for various other health problems that I have. Mix it in with a glass of chocolate milk. Really yummy. I drink rice milk, but if you have an aversion to that I think plain moo milk would do the trick too. The slight nutty flavor of the oil mixes so well with the chocolate. Just be sure to stir it well before drinking it.

Now when I'm drinking plain chocolate milk, I actually crave flax oil. I honestly found it to be quite an enjoyable drink.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Robin,

I read about your reaction to the detoxification of the mercury from your system, and that reminded me of what I did many years ago. Since few doctors understand this, I did it on my own. Right after I had the mercury fillings removed, I took three anti-mercury components for about three weeks. I had almost finished with taking a bottle of one of these pills, and I got extremely sick. I felt like I was starving and wanted to throw-up at the same time. I wanted to sleep and run at the same time. It was the most strange out-of-control feeling that I ever had in my life.

Then I got extremely sleepy and thought I was going to die. I had a low grade fever. I went to the doctor, but he didn't think it was serious. He did no testing for me. I shouldn't have mentioned mercury to him, as they (I think) take a defensive position that mercury is safe from fillings. After a week, I finally was able to get out of bed, but I had that strange sensation for about 2 months. It only gradually wore off. After that time, I never experimented again with anti-mercury components. I've found my herbs to be much more gentle, so for years I just stuck to my natural diet and herbs and slowly recovered from the fibromyalgia pains after the mercury fillings were removed.

I thought you might want to know, that anytime we flush mercury from our system, that we could have a reaction. I can't prove anything, but can only tell what happened to me, with my experiments.

So, I hope you can hang in there, and realize that it might be tough to do what you are doing. I hope you have a good doctor too that can monitor this, as I could not find professional care that understand the problems of mercury poisoning.

Last edited by rhody; 01-07-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
(female)

robinhy HB User

Well, I taking nettle tes as well as the mercury removing stuff and I feel really like @#$%. Like my whole body is suffering from arthritis or like I've been used as a punching bag not to mention all the other typical symptoms. I switched things around so that my thyroid RX is 6 hours before any other meds...not much help. The nettle tea is great because it get the bowels up and moving but it's also strong in iron so I moved this to the afternoon as well. I am also slowing down on the dose - it's hard to squeeze that much in, in the afternoon time only anyway.

Do any of you think the mercury meds will have some effect on my next thryoid blood test. Like you said Pixiek, it's maybe washing the armour out of my system as well. I've got about 2 weeks left before my next testing and I don't won't to postpone - things are slow going enough as it is!!!! I'm not sure I want to up my meds for the short term. I spent over 2 years constantly changing my meds and being stable is real important for me although I think you have a good point.

Rhody what are some of the herbs you use now? Like I said I'm using nettle tea which is good for sooo many things in the body and some sage as well. The woman who started me on the mercury detox is not a doc but she is a 'holistic' non-doc. Can't translate completely but thats an actual profession here in Germany. Anyway, I'lll give her a call in the morning to see what she recommends. I'll try to stay the course with the mercury detox meds but this arthritis sensation is awful.

Also, I know that iron supplements CANNOT be taken with thyroid RX - needs to be about 6 hours apart. But is that only for iron supplements? What about natural forms of iron, ie beef, nettle tea, etc... Do they also interfere?

What was that about flax oil - I didn't quite catch the connection. I've been using the stuff but is there also a mercury connection? And it does taste great

BTW - Pixiek - how are you doing lately. Last I heard you were waiting for an update from your doc in Maine.

Robin

Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

The herbs I usually take now are Queen of the Meadow (or Gravel Root), Damiana, Gotu Kola, Ginger, Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, and Licorice (small amount). I only take these because they seem to work. I experimented for years with different type of herbs. So, I have to say it's totally based on how I feel after taking them, and no scientific reasons. I read in book, the type of herbs a person should take for various pains, and so I tried to take herbs that matched those medical problems. They really help a lot for me, even though I don't consume near as much as I used to.

Maybe a holistic non-doc would be like a naturopath here in the States. I saw a naturopath once, when I went to him to find out what dental restorations materials would be best, after I had the mercury fillings removed.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Hi, I am ok, I guess. Holding for now at an upped dose on three weeks of 37.5...I can go more as I seem to be so sensitive to "side effects" or whatever they are! Heard from my holistic doc, and he said he will review my case and get bak to me in several days...so waiting again...name of the game!

Well, I am not sure about the flushing, but it was a concern as another poster, as I said, seemed to have had this problem when she did her liver detox...I may have, too, but I can't be really sure...HOWEVER, after my detox was over, just a few days, I did do a blood test and my levels had not changed....so either I was able to stave off the flushing of meds by the measures I took, OR no meds actually got flushed out...I did take my med sublingually.

I don't blame you for not wanting to change meds now...probably I too would try to stay at the same level and hang in there....boy that is tough though, isn't it! After I read about what the other poster on this board had as an experience with mecury detox, I am inclined to think it is the detox itself that is causing you trouble....I don't know why everything that is good for us has to make us feel bad! I am afraid I cannot give any further advice here as I have not done the mecury detox.

I don't think you have to worry about iron in the foods...only the supplement...also calcium should be take away from thryoid meds....hard to time everything isn't it!

So I will start my day and prepare myself to enjoy a full day of brain fog...though sometimes lifts by the PM...and I get a bit of relief....ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Pixiek

Closed Thread