It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

also2tired HB User
Very noticeable heartbeat

I am not sure about the proper medical term for this, but I am bothered by my heartbeat when I lie down to rest. It does not seem to be beating too fast or anything. I think it is going at the same regular, steady pulse; but it is just so noticeable. It is hard to feel relaxed when this happens. I am not sure if it happens during the day as much, possibly because I am busy doing other things and it is easier to be distracted then. Is this a symptom of hypo? Could it be caused by adjusting to new meds? Is this what people call heart palpitations, or is that something else? I have probably suffered with this all along (way before being diagnosed), but everything that felt weird in my chest I just brushed off as "anxiety," and symptoms came and went. Any advice?

Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

Charis34 HB User
Re: Very noticeable heartbeat

Yep - being aware of heart beating and with some of the heartbeats being extra thuddy, that's been one of my most reliable symptoms of needing an increase in meds! (am hypo and still tweaking to get to right levels).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

yup. strong heartbeat. i've got that from time to time. i've got hashi's.

i believe palps are when you feel the heart skip beats. i'm not positive. i get those too.

i'm still working my way up to optimum thyroid levels as well.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

OMG! I get those too! All the time time. I was diagnosed with Hashi's a little over a year ago. My levels are good though and I feel great. I wouldn't want to change my meds. It's good to hear that other people have that too. I've never mentioned it to my doc. Assumed it was thyroid related so it's good to hear that other people have that as well. Now I know it's thyroid related.

Thanks.

Stacia

Old 01-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User

sorry to be so nosy but what is hashis???? i have an underactive thyroid and am now getting this terribly loud beating of my heart in my head at night but have never heard of hashi???

Old 01-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

Stacia HB UserStacia HB User

You're not being nosey at all. All this thyroid stuff takes some time to understand. I'm not very good with words when it comes to some of this stuff but Hashi's as people call it is really called Hashimotos Thyroiditis. It is a buildup of antibodies that attack the thyroid glad which then turns into hypothyroidism. Because the antibodies are attcking the gland it makes the gland not function propery and can destroy the thyroid glad from working completely. A nonfunctioning thyroid glad is hypothyroidism and an overactive thyroid glad is hyperthyroidism. It is treated the same as hypo but your symtoms can be similar to hypo and hyper. I have the weird heartbeats sometimes. Not every day but at a least a couple days within a two week period. Also, I get the night sweats, which is also a symptom of hashi's. You feel as if you are hyper but in fact you are hypo. When the night sweats started I actually went to the doc to ask if I was going through peri-menopause. I kinda figured I wasn't since i am only 34 but when your new to this, some of these symptoms can make you wonder if it is something else other than the thyroid.

In short, if you have hashimotos disease you will feel symptoms of being hypo and hyper.

The book Thyroid For Dummies is really a great book to read. It really spells things out in a language one can understand.

To know if you have hasimotos disease your doctor would have to run the antibodies tests. Not sure what they are called but I'm sure someone out here could help you out with that. I was such an easy diagnosis because when I was diagnosed my TSH was 393. Anyone else have a better explaination of Hashis ... please pipe in.

Take care and keep reading these boards. You will learn so much!

Stacia

Closed Thread