It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
"Fuzzy" throat

I had a suspicious nodule removed a little over two years ago with a right thyroid lobectomy. I also was diagnosed with hashi's. I have been on synthroid ever since, the dosage varying as my needs indicate. A little over a year ago I started to have a very strange feeling in my throat. My throat feels very dry all the time. It feels like I have a "hair" tickling the back of my throat. Often it feels "fuzzy" like my throat is coated with peach fuzz. Sometimes it feels like there is a lump in my throat as if there is a tic tac stuck in there. I have no trouble swallowing, in fact the feeling improves when I eat something. I went to my ENT who did the surgery to remove the nodule, and he did a scope down my nose for a visual view. Also sent me for an ultrasound to be sure there wasn't an actual lump there. He then diagnosed me with LPR or the form of reflux disease that effects the larynx and pharynx. I did the standard treatment for LPR of Prevacid 2x a day for 10 months with little or no results. I do not believe reflux is my problem. I think it is somehow related to my thyroid and have heard that a "lump in the throat" can be symptom of hyopthyroidism. I have other lingering symptoms of hypo that are also very uncomfortable (ie. shoulder pain, tired, cold hands and feet)

My question is: Does anybody else out there have strange irritations like "fuzziness", or a constant tickle in the back of thier throat? I cannot express how irritating and uncomfortable this is. If you also experience this, what advice can you give me. Though I am very pleased with my surgeon, he is rarely available for counsel as he is always in the operating room and my concerns are left up to his office staff. I do not feel I am getting the care from the office staff that I need. I am planning on seeing an endo who specializes in thyroids after the holidays and any information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. The more info I can take to the endo. the better I think my evaluation by him will be.

Last edited by Red Maple; 01-01-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: "Fuzzy" throat

bumping for response

Old 01-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

Don't know if I can help. I do have kinda the same feeling in my throat. I found out in dec that I have a nodule in my thyroid in the left side. I haven't figured out yet if any swallowing issues or feelings in my throat are because of my thyroid. The only problem I have had with swallowing is that I can get choked by drinking water. This has happened less than five times in the last year. We used to joke that I was doing my "trick" again. I mean how do you choke on water? Now I have begun to wonder. But sometimes the other feelings (a hair, etc.) (which were minor) would clear up when I drink or eat something. It was another curiosity of how the body works. Again now I wonder.

Thanks for bumping this back up. I have been watching to see if anyone can shed more light on the subject.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
(female)

jacquii HB User
Have an 'egg' in mine...

I had 1/2 gland taken out last year. I continually have a lumpy feeling in my throat. Kind of like you feel when you have swallowed a bite of hard boiled egg. The side of my neck where the other gland is often sore. I am on .75 Synthroid. K

Old 01-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I've noticed difficulty swallowing liquids & pills when my thyroid is out of whack. Tend to have a "need to clear my throat" feeling a lot of the time.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all for your responses! I know this is an unusual symptom, but I have read a few of articles and books on thyroid disorders that mention a "fullness" in the throat, a "dry feeling" in the throat, or a "lump in the throat" sensation as possible symptoms. I really wanted to see if anyone else experiences anything similar. I'll let you know by posting again in the future if I find anything further about this strange symptom.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
(female)

oesmom HB User

I've had the lump in the throat feeling since June on the right side. I do have a very small cyst on that side that was diagnosed by an endo in April. She also said I have Hashi's (level was 3 on an 0-2 scale). Had another antibody test in Sept that was normal, so who knows. I have seen 7 docs since June and they all say I have acid reflux and have been on 2 meds for that with no improvement. I'm going back to the first endo in 2 weeks and hopefully she'll do another ultrasound. My throat problems are worse with stress and exercise, which is seen with a pharyngeal spasm (sometimes caused by acid reflux). My hair has also been falling out since this summer. All my levels are normal, but not optimal. I'm so tired of taking pain pills and muscle relaxers for my throat (I have fibromyalgia and have these drugs on hand, but didn't have to use them much til the throat stuff started).

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
(female)

KCThy HB User

lisman,

I can only tell you my experience. Fuzzy - what a great description! That's how I FIRST noticed my problems - it took about a year and half to get a diagnosis. Apparently, you have already. Fuzzy for me is usually dehydration - drink water!

With that said - after a year and half, (but I also had trouble swallowing by then), I was DX'd w/nodule (2) one on each side - 1 was 1.8cm, the other .9cm but with a hashi count of 511 and TSH of 5.9 (I know that doesn't sound that high, but I was starting to be cold ALL the time - freezing - tired and periods changed drastically - often and very heavy)!!!!!

If drinking water a lot doesn't help, it would be a good idea to have another sono of your thyroid to see if another nodule has developed....

I had a TT with mine and have never had those kind of problems since (July '05)!

Best of luck kiddo - trust yourself!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
(female)

KCThy HB User

Oh, and by the way, after my TT - the "acid reflux" or tums tummy went away while the meds were right!

I STRONGLY believe this MUCH:

Your thyroid (Hashi's/Nodule/Even mildly hypo) will EFFECT:

1) YOUR Periods

2) Your Digestive system - Indigestion - Heartburn - Acid Reflus

3) Your Hair & Skin

4) Your energy level

I know... Doctors' will say... Really? Well, tell them I am absolutely sure of it! DO NOT Doubt yourself...!!! Really listen to your body and if your doc won't listen to you, your choice - try to convince 'em, find a surgeon, or find a new doc!!!

Listen to your body - the thyroid effects a lot of strange things and in a year, you'll be saying (as they tweek your meds post TT), wow, I WAS RIGHT!

Old 01-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
(female)

ThyroidGirl HB User

I was diagnosed with a multinodular goiter in August '05. I don't have the fuzzy throat feeling, but for the past year I've had a problem with excess mucus after I eat, causing me to constantly clear my throat for about 10 minutes and then it goes away. At first I thought it may be related to a food allergy, but it doesn't seem to occur from a particular food or food group. Now I'm wondering if it might have something to do with my diseased thyroid. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's unrelated to my thyroid. I'm having a TT on 1/24/06. It will be interesting to see if the excess mucus disappears along with my thyroid!

Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

KCThy-THANK YOU!!!! You are so right in that we MUST believe what our bodies are telling us. Yes, I did get a diagnosis early (a little over 2 years ago), it resulted in half my thyroid being removed. I was so relieved that the nodule they found was just "suspicious" but not malignant, that I simply went along with whatever the doc said. He is a really great surgeon and I would definately see him again if ever thyroid surgery was needed; however he is always in the operating room taking care of others needing surgery, and thus those of us who have completed surgery, our care is left up to the office staff. When I try to tell his nurse about what I think are multiple lingering symptoms of hypothyroidism, she just dismisses them as something else. Thus I want to see a doctor who is not primarily a surgeon. I think I need someone and who will give me the office/phone time I need, and maybe they can see a pattern to my symptoms and a possible link to my hypo-ism. I really think my symptoms could greatly improve with something as simple as adjusting my meds. (currently taking .112 of synthroid) and a little closer monitoring. I have to have regular thyroid ultrasounds since previously there was a possiblity of cancer, and I just had the sono. in October. It came out fine and thus I am sure there is not another nodule at this time.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. Your kindness is so very appreciated! The support group on this board is terrific!

Last edited by Red Maple; 01-06-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
(male)

TE29071 HB User

Hi- I am very new to this Board. For 8 months, I have had an annoying
feeling in my throat, at the base of my neck. Sometime, it drives me crazy especiallly at night. After insistence with my endo and ENT, a had them run a Sestamibi scan for a arathyroid problem and was diagnosed with a benigh parathyroid tumor- thank goodness- that is near a vocal cord nerve. The Sestamibi scan was simple and painless- like an ultrasound. I just got back from an endo surgeon who confirmed my diagnosis and I am now scheduled for surgery. My situation may not be the same as yours, but my advice is--- don't give up; I went through 4-5 docs before getting to someone who really understood!! Also, hyperparathyroidism may cause GERD which is exacerbating that funny feeling. When I seem a little panicky about this throat feeling, I do a couple of things ( even if it is the middle of the night):
1) I think of all the good things in my life and think about my children 2) sounds stupid- more of a panacea I think- I keep a few popsicles in the freezer 3) I get up and will watch TV and get my mind off of it !! Good luck !!

Old 01-09-2006, 03:53 AM   #13
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Lisman,
If it's LPR you probably need to start on a stronger PPI like Nexium. I have LPR and multinodular goiter with Hashi's. I had a right lobectomy last August for a suspicious nodule that was benign but the LPR is still there.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #14
(female)

Pagegurl HB User

This is too wierd. I had my total thyroidectomy in 2002 and since have had this tickly feeling in my throat, kind of fuzzy as you say. It drives my husband crazy as I cough so much praying that it will clear up. However, that doesn't help. I drink plenty of water, hoping to get that feeling to go away, and at times it seems to work.

What could be causing this problem?

Hysterectomy: April, 1996
Thyroidectomy: Jan, 2002
Oophorectomy: April, 2008
Cholecystectomy: Aug, 2009

Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

lisman,

If you have hypo symptoms than your remaining lobe could be a little larger than needs to be and putting pressure in your throat. Can you get a complete list of labs drawn and post then here? You need to see if you are hypo by your labs, not listen to dr's who just tell you your labs are fine. ALWAYS get a copy of your blood work!

Karen

Closed Thread