It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

robinhy HB User
bowel action

I know that NOBODY wants to talk about the bowels but I'm hoping for some suggestions. I'll try not to be too graphic. Ever since starting meds my bowels haven't been the same. It's not constipation. My BM's are basically soft, frequent and too small (sorry ). Is there something anyone can recommend to tone up the bowels, improve the muscles for better evacuation (again, sorry). Something taken via the mouth.... Something for a good 'spring cleaning'!!!

I know that there are lots of different herbal remedies for just such a thing but there are so many it's hard to know which one is really good. I don't want to hear specific brand names (I'm not in the states) but mostly specific herbs.

Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User
Re: bowel action

Robin,
Hey, it is an issue we ALL have dealt with so don't worry, we have had threads on this before!

I take the generic for colace ( stool softener) daily. I get the Wal-Mart brand and take 2 at night before bed with a glass of water. These are not laxatives but just stool softeners. They make fuller and bulkier stools so you feel like you are empty! My bowels were never the same after getting sick with hashi's over 5 years ago. I was always either so constipated I couldn't breath or had the runs so bad I couldn't leave the house.................Since having my thyroid out I do not have the runs anymore at all but it is nice to have a regular routine if you know what I mean!

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

robinhy HB User

Karen, what exactly is colace (I asked the same about bioitin as well). In order to figure out how to translate the name/product into German I need details. It's funny, I live down the road from a Wal-mart but I dubt I could find the stuff that easy.

Robin

Old 01-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

I saw your Biotin question..................the Biotin is sold in the vitamin aisle at Wal-mart. It is a supplement............

The colace is just what the common stool softener is called. They are sold in the laxative/metamucil/perparation H type stuff................

Karen

Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi i have had the same problem for years,and has got worse since i got hashi's sometimes when i go it just like rabbit dropping's (sorry) Idont take anything for the problem.My mum has hashi's and she cant go for day's she takes senna to help her ! (lets hope we all have a pooping good day) Mandy x

Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
(female)

MatthewsMom HB User

Since having my baby, poop is a daily part of life! And it should be for everybody, really. Colace is a brand name for docusate sodium. It helps, but won't give a contrary result. Too much is no better than too little! Also, I found out while I was pregnant that Metamucil helps, that containts psyllium husk as a fiber supplement. But also, you can increase fiber in your diet by eating more dried fruit, whole grain in cereal and breads, fruit, vegetables and beans. Avoid things like white flour and white rice which kinda "plug you up". Drinking lots of water helps too.

Happy p**ping,
Lyse

Last edited by MatthewsMom; 01-12-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

I feel the kid in me coming out.....must hold tongue.....must hold tongue.... : )

I got a million smart butt answers that I would love to share but, it is a real problem for most of us so....

Magnesium will help you poop frequently and help you with a good cleaning out. I was told by my doctor to take magnesium in incrementally larger doses until I got diahreah and then back off on the dose a little....it will help.....ever hear of Phillips Milk of Magnesia? Same concept.....you can take pretty much any Magnesium pills and start with about 125 mg and work your way up adding about 50 mg at a time until all hell breaks loose (literally) then back off by about 75 mg. You cannot overdose yourself on the magnesium but if you take too much you will spend lots of time on the bowl.

Other than that suggestion, the old concepts apply.....lots of roughage....salad, spinach, greens, raw veggies....etc.

Last edited by nastyhashi; 01-12-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
(female)

robinhy HB User

You guys have been great. However, most of the input is for constipation. I'm the other side of the coin. I've tried mag. and Vit C to bowel tolerance. It only makes my problem more extreme but my bloated/pain doesn't go away. Funny thing is I was taking chlorella for mercury detox. It really helped my bowels, less bloated, less pain. However, it also stopped my thyroid meds from working. I'm also getting covered in 'skin lesions'. Like eczema or psoriasis (spelling). I'm not really sure what it is except it looks like ring worm BUT IT ISN'T...honest!!!. I had this really bad before I started meds. It's been gone for almost 3 years and BAM, overnight it's back. (hence the chlorella post). I look 6 mths pregnant I'm sooo swollen/bloated. I often can't reach my toes...stop laughing...

Can iodine interfere with armour???

nastyhashi - I'd love to hear your smart butt comments!!! I could use a good laugh.

fake-ring-worm-Robin

Old 01-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Oh robin, so you are saying you need to stop the poop and here we are telling you how to increase it????

Let me tell ya, when my meds need adjusting I get the "ringworm" look myself.........it is psoriasis too............I get it on all of my joints which is autoimmune in nature.

Karen
p.s. let us know how things are coming out................hahahahaha

Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Yes iodine can interfere with Armour....iodine will interfere with anything thyroid related in one way or another....the thyroid is an iodine magnet......soaks it up like a sponge.

I didn't scroll back through the post but can you be a little hyper now? Little poops lots of times is indicative of hyper......everything speeds through your system and water does not get properly absorbed to dry out those little turd snakes.....If you were adjusted properly, you would be absorbing the correct amount of water in your poop and voilà....you would have those nice huge chunky turds you desire.....

Get your meds adjusted and you too can be the envy of all your friends.....make sure to keep the first good one as a souvenir....I recommend the fridge so it doesn't spoil.

....your cooley will thank you.

: )

Old 01-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
(female)

robinhy HB User

Now I know why you call yourself nasty!!! That was really good. Anyway, my turds have been like this since day 1 of my meds...really wet...like melted chocolate...yum yum! (sorry but nasty started it!!!) I'm also bloated all over and can pee an ocean if I drink much water. Probably a connection there.

It sucks that chlorella is full of iodine 'cause it worked wonders on the other end. I'm certain I'm not hyper although with the extreme reaction I've had to synthetic T4 I've often wondered if I was miss Dx. Generally speaking I was a lot better off before I ever started RX but the damage is done and the only way out is to find the right dose.

So it's psoriasis. It's funny, I can stop my meds for months and not have this return but 3 weeks of mercury detox and it starts coming back.

I gotta RUN now. I think I'll make chocolate sweeties for all of those greats docs I've had the pleasure of meeting.

Robin

Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Man....you just got stuff leaking out all over, don't you? Sheesh! Better call a plumber.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
(female)

robinhy HB User

Between your comments and the stuff about what to do with our turdy docs, I'm about to wet myself.

LOL

Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
(female)

daisy01 HB User

hi robinhy
have you had a blood test for coeliac anti bodies by any chance? It is also an auto immune disorder but causes many of the symptoms you have described including the skin lesions. which is a form of dermatitis. It is also strongly linked to thyroid disorders. so maybe you should get this checked out.

try to avoid gluten for a while and see if that helps. however be careful if you buy gluten free products as most have the wheat flour substituted with soya flour. try keeping a food diary for a while.
if you are going to have the test done then dont avoid products with gluten in the before having it done or else it will show that you are not producing the anti bodies.
( I cant resist in joining in with the others and also wishing you happy pooping)

Old 01-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
(female)

robinhy HB User

I have gone glutten free but maybe not long enough. How long is long enough? However, I always thought that glutten allergies were pretty serious. I do (or did) have lactose problems - it cleared up after 6 months on hydrocort. How could I have this and not know? I'll try the diet again but since my next thyroid check-up is around the corner I see if he can do a check first. BTW, how is the test done. They don't need to go near my 'poop' shoot do they? Do you know if there is a reason why taking thyroid meds would suddenly cause this to surface (if in fact I have this)?

I'm going to do a check to see if it's dermatitis or psoriasis - I'll look for picks.

Robin

Closed Thread