It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
How many of you have shortness of breath from hypothyroidism?

Is shortness of breath a symptom of hypothyroidism? I have been getting treated for a year now for Hashimoto's and am still not regulated. My shortness of breath is pretty significant and seems to worsen when I need an increase in meds.

Does anyone else have this symptom?

Old 01-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: How many of you have shortness of breath from hypothyroidism?

I have shortness of breath and pain when taking a deep breath. I don't know if it's a common symptom of hypoT or not (I also have Hashi's). I do know that anemia can occur with hypoT which can in turn cause shortness of breath.

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kelly. Thanks for your response. I have anemia also.

Are you still getting regulated?

Old 01-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Ticker...
Just wanted to let you know that I had breathing trouble before I was treated. It wasn't exactly "shortness of breath", in the sense that I couldn't get enough air. What happened with me is that I could inhale all the air I wanted and needed, but I couldn't exhale all of it at once. It was as if my lungs wouldn't push it out. While exercising on the treadmill at a fast clip, I would in effect hyperventilate, because my air intake surpassed the output. Hyperventilation can make a person feel "short of breath" just as much as truly being "short of" air.
Did that make sense?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi midwest1. Thanks for your response. Yes, I do understand what you are saying. It is interesting. I wonder if it has to do with my shortness of breath also. I have to try to analyze it.

My shortness of breath seems to lessen after a med increase and come back when my body has adjusted to the newer dose.

I thought (like I am sure so many others think) that once I started treatment I would be so much better, but unfortunately it can take a long time to get regulated.

Are you regulated now midwest1? I hope so. You are always so helpful, and it is much appreciated

Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

It depends on what you mean by regulated . If you mean what my endo thinks is regulated (in range TSH) then yes.

If you mean regulated based on symptoms...I'm not anywhere near it.

My endo feels that as long as my labs are in range there's no need for an increase no matter how poorly I feel. If I feel badly and my labs are in range she says it's not my thyroid and must be something else.

My shortness of breath did go away for a short time after I started treatment. I've been on the same dose since August though so I don't know if mine would go away if my meds were increased now. I started treatment in April and my meds were being increased by my PCP (I was feeling better with each increase) but when I saw the endo in Aug. she said I was getting hyper from the meds and decreased them about 66% (I'm on 50mcg of Levoxyl now). I'm not feeling very well.

Kelly

Old 01-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kelly. That is huge decrease in meds, especially when you are having symptoms and feel improvement with med increases. Many people here suggest seeing a doctor who is not an endo. Do you think you could switch doctors? Sometimes an Osteopath or Physician Assistant is more open.

I hope you can see someone who is more helpful. You deserve to feel better.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Hi Guys I also get short of breath, have even been misdiagnosed with asthma! and also chest pains, I now have acid reflux (LPR) and I belive the synthroid caused my stomach issues, and that can also give you chest pains-shortness of breath.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey..count me in too... I was so short of breath at times, it really scared me! And mine too would go away with med increases, only to return after... like you said, a couple of weeks. Finally, when my levels were in the perfect spots, it all went away...I breathe normal again. Mine just felt like not enough oxygen coming through...and at times I would have to "force" a deep breath out of me...making a conscious effort to take a deep breath. I'm telling you..of all my symptoms, that one frightened me the most.
I can now walk on my treadmill at a brisk rate, (3.3 mph) for 45 minutes, and breath great. Thank God!

Hang in there, it will go back to normal as your levels get into that optimal place, everything has gone back to normal.

Deda

Old 01-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
(female)

shonks5 HB User

I have the same problem! I get it when I'm not taking enough,(like I can't get a deep enough breath) and it levels off with an increase in meds! I also got it when I was just starting to take thyroid meds (it felt like I was winded all the time). I once took a list of symptoms people were having to their thyroid meds to the doctor I was seeing, and he wouldn't even look at it! That's another reason this message board is so great, we can all learn from each others experience, and know it's not all in our heads like so many doctors would like us to believe!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you guys so much! It really does help to hear of others experiences.

Deda, I am so glad you have gotten regluated are are feeling good. That gives us all hope!

Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
(female)

Karin1982 HB User

Sometimes I have shortness of breath ... I dont know if its connected to HypoT or Hashimoto.... maybe you should ask your doctor.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Deb123 HB User

Add me to the list. I had now idea my shortness of breath was thyroid related until the day I took my first 30mg of Armour and within about an hour I could breathe better than I had in about 2 years. Like everyone else in about two weeks it would come back when needing an increase. I've been on meds since last May so I'm pretty leveled out now finally!!

Deb

Old 01-19-2006, 03:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
Thank you guys so much! It really does help to hear of others experiences.

Deda, I am so glad you have gotten regluated are are feeling good. That gives us all hope!

Thank you ticker! You hang in there...it will get good for you too, and everyone else, once you get to your magic numbers. What a waste huh...all those tests to find out why I couldn't breath normally....pft's, x-rays, aw well, guess they weren't a waste for peace of mind., (caused me to panic and need a sedative!), and all because my thyroid levels were so low. Why don't Dr's recognize these syptoms...are we that get so sick, so rare?
Hang tough...and good health in the future to all of you...

Deda

Old 01-19-2006, 04:05 AM   #15
(female)

Pagegurl HB User

jennyVee........

Before I developed Thyroid cancer, I was healthy and maintained a good weight. After a TT, I developed high BP, asthma, allergies to certain foods, arthritis, hairloss, etc. PTL, I'm now off the BP meds. I still can't lose the 50 pounds I put on, although I adhere to a good workout and watch what I eat. My opinion is that my meds can't be right although the #'s show they are.

Hysterectomy: April, 1996
Thyroidectomy: Jan, 2002
Oophorectomy: April, 2008
Cholecystectomy: Aug, 2009

Closed Thread