It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

yalady HB User
Red face HELP No Thyroid and No Medication

Hi everyone,
I'm a 26 year old female who had her thyroid removed 3 years ago. Due to the termination of my insurance and lack of finances to cover testing and medication I've put on 60lbs over a 2 year period. Does anyone know any other harmful side effects that I might aquire? Is there any non-perscription medication that I can take until I can aquire insurance? Any knowledge on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User
Re: HELP No Thyroid and No Medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalady
Hi everyone,
I'm a 26 year old female who had her thyroid removed 3 years ago. Due to the termination of my insurance and lack of finances to cover testing and medication I've put on 60lbs over a 2 year period. Does anyone know any other harmful side effects that I might aquire? Is there any non-perscription medication that I can take until I can aquire insurance? Any knowledge on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Since being you dont have a thyroid and you arent on any meds..You are at risk of your body shutting down..Without thyroid hormone replacement your organs will shut down one by one.. Im not trying to scare you, but you need medication..Whether it is synthyroid, levoxl , or armour you need something..
Over the counter meds will not do the trick..
This is not something to play around with
Maybe there is some way to receive help with getting your meds...Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

mbcs HB User

Shellie is 100% correct.

I get my armour for $11.99 for 100 pills at walmart.................Find a doctor to write you a prescription. If needed go to the ER - all hospitals have programs for uninsured people.
mbcs

Edited to add..............gaining weight is the very least of your health issues. As you read this board you will see that the thyroid effects every aspect of one body/health from your heart to finger nails!

Last edited by mbcs; 01-13-2006 at 06:28 AM. Reason: add text

Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Please do something about this TODAY!. You have got to get hormone to your body or you are looking at a very serioius consequence. Call and get a script today and and get it filled.......................Armour is cheap, get on that to start with. Your body is probably so messed up with no meds. YOu can also get on synthroids website and get their contact info. They have programs to offer meds to people with no insurance.

Please let us know you inquired about this today, ok?

Karen

Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

you HAVE to replace your thyroid hormones if you do not have a thyroid producing them.

the body needs thyroid hormones to survive. without a thyroid, and without replacing the hormones with medication, you are on a slow descent to getting sicker and sicker and sicker until you cease to function entirely.

there are many prescription programs for the indigent. you can contact pharmaceuticals that put out thyroid hormone medications to apply for one of these programs and get meds cheaper. are you eligible/can you apply for state welfare insurance, even if its just coverage for prescriptions?

you have to have this medication. you must find a way to get it. reach out to doctors, health clinics, the ER - to find a way to work this out.

take care

Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

just in case you need more convincing:

straight from one of the top docs at a local hospital:

"The thyroid gland influences many organs, tissues and cells in the body.
If the thyroid is not working properly, then a number of symptoms result,
including weight changes, mood swings and menstrual disturbances. If
left untreated, thyroid disease can cause elevated cholesterol levels, and
subsequent heart disease, infertility, muscle weakness or osteoporosis
and, in extreme cases, coma or death. "

Old 01-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

yalady HB User

Thanks for the concern everyone. After reading the first few replies this morning I quickly got a reality check on how badly I've been neglecting my health. I changed my schedule around, borrowed some money and found a doctor willing to work with me. He only charged me $110 for the TSH blood work, nothing for the office visit and Levoxyl to take until my lab work returns Tuesday. I also got a stern pep talk from a friend who has a sister with the same condition . Now I really know the importance of taking my medication properly and consistantly. Thanks again

Old 01-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Thumbs up Re: HELP No Thyroid and No Medication

GOOD JOB YALADY!!!!!!!!!!

you keep taking care now. keep us posted when you like.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Sheeze Louise....I am surprised you are even semi-functional at this point.

Did I get this correct that you had a TOTAL Thyroidectomy (no thyroid left whatsoever) AND have had no meds for almost 2 years now? Is that correct?

I am sorry to sound so shocked but through all my research I am surprised someone can even live that long without meds to be honest. I am very surprised a major body system has not shut down on you yet. I can only imagine that you had a partial thyroidectomy and the half that is left is working full time to keep you alive this whole time.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 PM   #10
(female)

yalady HB User
Smile Re: HELP No Thyroid and No Medication

I had a total Thyroid removal. I've been on 175mgs of Levoxyl off and on until a few months ago when I ran out of medication. Over a 2 year period I put on 60 lbs. I have so much going on in my life right now starting with an 8 year old LD/ADHD son, a 5 year old Autistic daughter and a disabled mom. I'm a single mom who had to quit working due to my daughters condition. I've been neglecting my health but it by the grace of God that I'm still here.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #11
(female)

Betsyp HB User

I ditto everyone's advice to get your thyroid medication script filled immediately. You cannot survive without it and your organs will shut down. The cost of thyroid medication has decreased significantly. My endo even has a sign in his office asking his patients to ask the pharmacist how much their prescription would be without insurance since many times the cost of the thyroid meds is less without going through insurance. Before my husband and I left for a three-year tour in Germany four years ago, I had a year's supply of thyroid medication filled for $80. Granted, several years have passed since then, but that gives you an idea how reasonable this medication is. Please, get it filled and keep us posted. Betsy

Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

yalady...........

Also, since you are now in with a dr, ask them for samples...........my endo has boxes and boxes of samples of synthroid to give to patients who have no insurance..............he has even given me a whole bag of it. It is out there, you just have to ask. That way you can get the med for free!

I am so glad you got this taken care of, in the end you will not only feel better but you will prevent a huge list of problems for yourself.

Karen

Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

Changedusername HB User

Ditto the samples deal.....Docs give out samples like candy....I'll bet you can almost amass a year's supply for free just between your regular doctor, your gyne and your endo if you plead your case correctly.....they get them free of charge from the drug companies so you will try them and buy them and they end up stockpiling in the docs cabinets.....they would be happy to get rid of them if you have the need.

Closed Thread