It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Chlorella

anybody know if taking this stuff will harm my thyroid or interfer with my medication at all? because the more i read about it, the more it seems like its really good for you. anybody have any info or comments?

scott

Old 01-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: Chlorella

Chlorella is a seaweed and contains iodine. Based on what I've read from reputable sites and studies it's not advisable for people with hashi's to take high doses of iodine...it's like adding fuel to the fire from what I understand.

Of course anything in moderation is usually safe . Eating the seaweed or sprinkinling the powder on your food is different than taking a concentrated tablet etc...

I personally stay away from kelp...it makes my joints feel icy hot and my eyes dry and burning (oddly enough progesterone cream makes me feel the same way). I haven't tried chlorella to see if it would cause a similar reaction or not.

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
(female)

robinhy HB User

I took the stuff for about 3 weeks. I had high levels of mercury. The first 2 weeks were good, esp. for the bowels but by the 3rd week hell set in. Here it is 4 or 5 weeks later and I'm still going down hill. Arthritis, headaches, swelling of my joints, dermatitis like sking problems, overall dry skin, really tired, etc... There is a chance it's my thyroid meds. I'm being tested today.

I've also read a lot about the stuff...it sounds really great. Be careful with the stuff. It didn't work for me but everyone is different.

I might try the stuff again once I level out again (or maybe I need my head examined).

Robin

Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

robinhy HB User

FYI

I just got back from my doc. He suggested I take chlorella. I told him he was crazy because it was full of iodine. (My doc is absolutely against taking iodine). He said freshwater chlorella is very low in iodine and is ok to take. Be careful though, it does have iron, although probably also very low levels...Im not sure though.

Robin

Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

yeah, i just talked to a chinese medicine doctor who's pretty good, and he said to stay away from it, it has heavy metals in it. he's run a bunch of different studies on it and he said he has seen no proof it helps with anything.

so who knows

scott

Closed Thread