It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Hashimoto's/ getting sick

anybody with hashimotots and/or hypo seem to notice they get sick a lot? like i feel another sore throat coming on today, what's the deal? is this with any autoimmune disease that you get sick more often because your immune system is not opperating properly? any info on this would be great.

thanks
scott

Old 01-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

nikmou HB User
Re: Hashimoto's/ getting sick

i do get sick more often when my levels are not just right, i guess it makes sense witht his crazy disease, if your thyroid ain't workin' then nothin is working great.
Nicole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I've seen some people say they catch more cold and infections, than they did before they got the hypo-Hashi's. That surprises me, that I haven't, so far, knock wood...well I guess we're all different, for sure. It just surprises me as I was dx'd in July of 'O3, and haven't had even a cold since then, sore throat, anything, and my levels were not optimal until about 3 months ago. I even flew across country a couple of months ago, and got stuck sitting next to this man that coughed the whole way...inches away from me! and I STILL rightL didn't catch it!! I thought I'd get that one for sure!! I'm careful tho, I wash my hands often, take vitamins, protein shakes, and just try to take good care of myself. Oh, and when my hubby feels sick or has the sniffles, I sleep in our guest room...LOL

One thing I did have all the time before my Dx and getting on TR was yeast infections, all the time, for years..

Good luck Scoot...
Deda

Old 01-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

if I remember from your earlier posts, you have not long started on thyroid meds(please correct me if I am wrong as I do still have brain fog)

when I first started to take thyroxine, I had lots of different ailments/infections and I think your body is just trying to adjust to working normally plus fighting off the everyday bugs we come into contact with.

With hashis, I think it is even more important to eat well, ie as much fresh food as possible, drink plenty of water and rest when your body tells you to.
Try not to get too stressed about everything as this can affect your immune system as well.
hope you feel better soon

Old 01-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

thanks for the replies. yeah ive only been on levothyroxine for couple weeks, 50mcg so yeah. hopefully all this crap resolves itself.

also, how long does it take to get the right dose? how often is the first dose the doc prescribes to you the correct one? or do they normally have to up the dose?

thanks
scott

Old 01-22-2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Scott It took me 6 weeks on 50mcg and 6 weeks on 75mcg, when i had my 3nd blood test i was in the normal .I did think it was going to take months.I started on Levothyroxine Aug 05 and in Nov 05 i was in the normal range, Top end free t4 and tsh 1.72 .I was on the frist dose for 6 weeks, it takes that long to see how you are doing on that dose.
Hope this help........Mandy

Old 01-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
(female)

daisy01 HB User

it has taken me since june 05 to start feeling well scott, they gave me 100mg as a starting dose but that was way too much for my body to cope with so I had to drop down to 50mg for 6 weeks, then 75mg for 6 weeks and I am now up to 100mg again. I feel well on this dose even though my tsh is still 9.7 and my GP wants to up my dose to 125 mg. I dont like the increases as they make me feel more hypo than before diagnosis.

I also think that it depends on how hypo you were before starting on the meds. My TSH was 145 at diagnosis and I truly believe that its a similar thing to when you break a leg etc and you get muscle wastage. It takes time to build up those muscles again to full working power, and your body is much the same once you get on the thyroid meds. It takes time to build you up again so that you function on full power. you just need to take things slowly and not expect too much from your body right now. Go easy on it, its been through a tough time.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi Before i was diagnosed my TSH was 29.53 and my FREE T4 9.5 ,i dont know how i was living??????????? I am still on 75mcg and not due a blood test until may of this year , but because i keep having pain everywhere legs, ribs and so on i am having a blood test on the 30th jan so i will see whats going on i hope.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
(female)

Kalli5793 HB User

I've been going to an Endo doc for a year and a half yet. He is still increasing my dosage. I started at 50mcg in May 04 and was just put on 175mcg last week.

Joined this board this past week. And I have lots of questions to ask him. I'll either call with the questions or wait till I see him again, which isn't for 6 months.

I did notice that I was sick a lot more with colds and such before I started taking meds. Now I'm seem to be back to normal with getting sick just once every 6-12 months.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

What lead to my diagnosis of hashi's was the fact that I was sick ALL the time. If it was out there I caught it and it took me twice as long to get over anything.

I never had abnormal thyroid labs though so mine was just the fact I had the autoimmune issue going on. I have been so much better since my TT.

I had no trouble getting my meds right after surgery. but it is alot easier to get it right when 1. you are not dealing with hashi's which makes you sick regardless of labs and 2. you have no thyroid sputtering out it's own hormone.............

hang in there, it's a LONG road.
Karen

Old 01-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
(female)

scf71 HB User
I have been sick a lot lately...

and was just diagnosed 2-3 weeks ago. I have never had a weak immune system until recently and could not figure out what was going on with me. Almost every month I was ending up sick with something. I wondered too if it has had something to do with my thyroid but don't know for sure. I have two preschool aged kiddos so it may just be the germies they bring home!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #12
(female)

dsjnix HB User

i WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HOSHIMOTOS ABOUT ONE YEAR AGO AND REALLY HAVE NOT BEEN SICK AT ALL. NOT EVEN SO MUCH AS A COLD, BUT I TAKE TONS OF VITAMINS AND EXCERCISE TOO!

Closed Thread