It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

caryzsovery HB User
How serious is low calcium after thyroid surgery???

Hi all! So here I am 8 days post subtotal thyroidectomy outpatient surgery & found out at my post op appointment that my calcium is low. The surgeon flicked my cheek after checking my incision, said "huh" & called two nurses over to see the involuntary twitching my mouth was doing in response to his flicks. He seemed very casual about it & sent me on my way with a script for bloodwork & appointment to meet back with him next month. I was honestly in a euphoric state from finding out that the growth he removed was benign that I didn't give this much thought until I returned home. So, do you think that in your experience that he is handling this appropriatly or should I maybe put a call in to my endo who referred me to him? Thanks in advance!
~Cary

Old 01-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: How serious is low calcium after thyroid surgery???

Calcuim is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: my sister after a TT (total thyroid...) went into calcium crisis (thankfully in the doctor's office!) so you want to be very, very cautious on that....she was taking mega doses of calcium for quite some time after her surgery....definitely call the doctors and pursue this right away! Pixiek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

merrillin HB User

Cary, you can get into serious trouble very, very fast! Listen you can fix it yourself right now til you can get proper care. Just eat 12 tums a day. That is what I did after surgery. They had me eat 6 and 6..................they are wonderful for calcium and get it normal pretty quick. I cannot believe a dr would be so ignorant.

Mouth twitching is a definite sign of low calcium...........get some tums tonight and start crunching!

let us know,
karen

Old 01-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

caryzsovery HB User

Thank you so much Pixie & Karen! I'll tell you what ~ this surgeon has had me going nuts: first telling me that I didn't need the surgery for my nodule, then calling back since my Endocrinologist (whom I HIGHLY trust) called him & told him that I NEEDED to have the surgery, & now this grrrrrrrr! Something just isn't sitting right with me about him & now that I've had a chance to let this set in & do a little research about low calcium on the net I am surely going to take your advice Karen & start chomping on the Tums & will most likely put a call in to my Endo tomorrow morning & see if he can't take back over from here. Hey, at least I am rejoicing not having this nasty growth in me anymore & my mind is at ease knowing that it was benign right?!? Thanks again ~ you are such a great community over here on this board!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

cherish328 HB User

Low calcium is not a good thing....If your calcium gets too low it can kill you. I had surgery May 2005, on a Wednesday, I was sent home on a thursday, and on Friday, I was back in the hospital until Sunday becasue my calcium levels drop so low. I was put on calcium through an IV, plus took 2 500mg Oscal every 6 hours, and a vitamin D pill once a day. I'm not sure how bad your case is, but my whole body felt funny, and I vaguely remembered the Dr. telling my husband if I felt tingling and numbness to call ASAP. IMO Tums didn't do anything for me. They tasted nasty, and had no effect for me. I did take those too, but I told the Dr. theat they didn't do anything but leave a nasty taste in my mouth. LOL

I would call you Endo. Maybe he can shed soe light on the situation for you!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

caryzsovery HB User

Thank you Cherish & I'm glad to hear that although you had to be hospitalized that you came out ok! I was wondering what I would be feeling if mine was dangerously low. The surgeon did ask about muscle cramps & tingling but I haven't had any of that. Honestly I just feel the same old tired sluggish hypo self that I usually feel coupled with a tad of soreness from my surgery. I plan on contacting my Endo to see what he has to say & take it from there!

Closed Thread