It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
(female)

cherish328 HB User
Trying to get Pregnant and no thyroid.....

Well, I'm trying to get pregnant, and I have NO THYROID (had it removed in May 2005)....plus i am Hypo...I guess I am still hypo with no thyroid???? I do not have a copy of my recent labs, (about 2 weeks ago). My Endo said that he was real happy that my TSH was great, but he was concerned about T3 & T4...not real sure what the T's do....how is this going to effect pregnancy?

Old 01-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User
Re: Trying to get Pregnant and no thyroid.....

FT3 and FT4 are the hormones your body need and uses. TSH is released by the pitutary to tell your thyroid (which you do not have) to make these hormones. T4 converts to the active T3 and you do need both. If you are not thyroid replacement medications, I would suggested that without a thyroid you will need them definitely if you are not taking them already! Your body cannot function without any thyroid hormones. You will need to test for FT4 and FT3 and see the numbers and where they are in the ranges according to your lab ranges. Based on this information you will want your numbers to be in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of your lab ranges and then you will probably have to tweak and adjust several times until you find the right dose for you where you are feeling your best....some doctors don't get this and only look at TSH (NOT GOOD) and only look at lab numbers (NOT GOOD) and don't also go by symptoms....go by symptoms and labs for the best results.

My sister also had her thyroid removed and is on thryoid replacements meds and had two healthy children after it all.... Hope this helps, probably others will chime in. Pixiek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
(female)

cherish328 HB User

I do take thyroid meds...I guess I should have mentioned that. LOL...My Endo is looking at the big picture! woohoo!!!! He took one look at me and told me he was running all kinds of blood work. within 2 visits he had me seeing a surgeon, and within a couple of months (endo wanted my levels to be in a "NORMAL" area before surgery) they did surgery!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

riviere HB User

Cherish, I had RAI for my Grave's with the idea of eventually getting pregnant. After both RAI and surgery one ends up hypothyroid. It's in our best interests to watch FT3 and FT4 and to make sure that meds keep them in range. Have you been trying to get pregnant just recently? I have to wait for at least 6 months (had RAI in December). Good luck to you.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

cherish328 HB User

Actually, we have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years, with no luck..I'm assuming that I am not due to the thyroid. As soon as I get my results, I will have to post them, maybe y'all can make heads or tales of it.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Many issues can effect fertility including male factor, yes, thyroid and a number of other things. It is difficult time for you, but get all the tests you need, including female hormones and the like, and that will help you get on the right course for treatment. I hope and pray that there will be a child in the future for you and your husband. Pixiek

Last edited by pixiek; 01-30-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

It's a good idea to be sure that your thyroid is functioning well before getting pregnant. Your baby (fetus) will depend on your thyroid for its development in utero, so having a good starting point, and checking your thyroid function during pregnancy (at least once per trimester) would be a good plan. If you need a little extra thyroid hormone (meds) during pregnancy, that's not a bad thing.

It's helpful to have an OBGYN who is really up on thyroid in pregnancy, or at least one who will communicate carefully w/an endo who is up on things. And I would make sure to get actual numbers from tests, not just a "normal" phone call from the nurse.

If you are at some point considering infertility testing, which can be very expensive, you might also consider looking into testing for celiac disease or gluten intolerance. The screening tests are not too expensive. Celiac is another autoimmune disease, not uncommon in people w/Hashi's. The antibodies formed tend to affect fertility. Some women w/this condition have benefitted from a period of gluten-free diet, and have gone on to conceive. Some women who were habitual aborters were able to carry to term.

However, as has been said, fertility is a complex issue. Best wishes.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
(female)

cherish328 HB User

So, how do I go about finding an OB/GYN who knows about thyroid in pregnancy? I guess I could ask my Endo when I see him again.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

pixiek HB User

Make a few calls and talk to the nurses. Tell then you are dealing with a thyroid issue and infertility issues and looking for a doc who is familiar with treating such patients....I am sure your case is not so unique umong infertility cases.....wishing you the best! Pixiek

Closed Thread