It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #16
(female)

Jon7346 HB User
Re: Thyroidectomy incision/scar questions

My scar started that way. You couldn't even see it for weeks. Then it started to get puffy.

My doc suggested I buy vitamin E capsules, bust it open and rub the oil there.

Mine is itchy. Like I said I do plan on going to the dermatologist. Right now can't afford it. I have other co-pays, dentist, b-day parties. I do plan on getting the shots- I want mine gone!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
(female)

clueless42 HB User

Hey!
Thought I'd reserect this thread!!!
My scar has not changed. Tried the Mederma again but broke out in a rash and my neck and face! Saw the surgeon today and he told me what my options are
1 - Leave it, it may go away on its own
2 - steriod injections. I'll get a local but he said I would still feel a sting. It would still take a few weeks for it to flatten
3 - have the keloid surgically removed then get steriod shots. The removal is out patient surgery so back to the hospital or a clinic. They could give me a local and sedative.

Option 3 has no guarantee since my first incision didn't heal so well.

Has anybody tried the shots yet??

Last edited by clueless42; 04-18-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
(female)

MATYA HB User

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing my story. I'm post TT Dec 2005. My scar is bad. Still painful, red and lumpy. Told by my Dr. even on today that it is part of the scar tissue and because it was sooo big. Mine was substernal. My neck is still very tight and swollen. I am still wearing scarfs and some turtle necks, only because I feel uncomfortable. I'm being referred for pain management, plus I have gastric reflex.

I use coco butter, but it's not helping. I'm going to try the mederma. I am still praying for my complete recovery.

Thanks for the information.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
(male)

Travellers HB User

Betsy:

What is mederma and how to use it? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyp
Hi Thyroid Girl. I had my TT on 28 December. After the surgeon removed the tape, I started massaging mederma into the incision three times a day and continue to do so even now. It is amazing how much it has faded. I even have a hard time seeing the incision now. I wore a v-neck to work for the first time today and nobody even noticed my neck! Rubbing the mederma into the incision helps to flatten the incision. I tried the curad scar strips, but did not like the way they pulled on the incision when I removed them in the morning. Yuk. The mederma works fine. Let us know what works for you! Betsy

Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 AM   #20
(female)

bjbattista25 HB User

Mederma is "skin care for scars" and you can get it at your pharmacy....just a note about the bumpy scare still...a friend of mine told me about an incision she got on her neck that stayed red a bumpy and seemed to spread...she was allergic to neosporin...I don't know if you use anything now but once she stopped using it, it cleared up...she was also allergic to latex...good luck...Bernie

Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
(female)

rosalie98 HB User

I just wanted to say that I found this post extremely helpful!! I'm post- TT (june 07), and for a little while after surgery my scar looked like it was on the healing path, but became red and raised after about a month. Now I'm using Mederma to help reduce it, and besides a little itchiness from time to time it seems to be working.

In any case, it was really nice to find this forum, because I've been monitoring my healing process, and thought that mine was just taking its time reducing, because I'm naturally a slow healer. While I wish none of us had to experience this, it feels good to know I'm not alone. I used to be self-conscious about my scar, but I'm not anymore. When people look, it's okay, because my scar is my battle wound, and my source of strength.

Last edited by rosalie98; 12-01-2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: more to say :)

Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #22
(female)

rosalie98 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon powell View Post
My scar started that way. You couldn't even see it for weeks. Then it started to get puffy.

My doc suggested I buy vitamin E capsules, bust it open and rub the oil there.

Mine is itchy. Like I said I do plan on going to the dermatologist. Right now can't afford it. I have other co-pays, dentist, b-day parties. I do plan on getting the shots- I want mine gone!
get pure cocoa butter (I use Palmer's cocoa butter formula because it's more "lotion-like" than just a stick of cocoa butter- it's not 100% pure, but it's much better than other lotion brands who advertise cocoa butter lotion that barely has any cocoa). I was recommended it to help reduce my scar, and while I haven't (sadly) noticed much difference there, it definitely helps the irritation. It's no dermatologist, but it might help until you can get in to see one. Now that the cold, dry air has moved in and my scar has been more prone to dryness and irritation, the cocoa butter is a life saver.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #23
(female)

Lynne45 HB User

I'm about 6 weeks post-op from thyroid surgery, and for the past 4 weeks, I've used Curad Scar Therapy pads day and night because my scar was becoming hypertrophic. The pads come off easily in the shower, and I massage the scar while the pad is off, and later in the day I massage it with the pad on. After 4 weeks of using these pads, the scar is flat and I'm pleased with the results.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 AM   #24
(female)

kathy590 HB User

I had TT in Feb 2006, Doc used surgical tape, I was told to leave it alone, keep it clean and dry, dont put anything on it. My scar is virtually gone, you have to really look to find it.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
(female)

foxymelanieuk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyroidGirl View Post
I had TT surgery on 1/24. Some questions are coming up in my mind now about the proper care of my incision and the scar in general. If there are any veterans who can offer any advice in this area, I'd be grateful and I'm sure it would be helpful for the others here who had surgery recently.
1. Did you have swelling and bumps? I read in another post that massaging is helpful.
2. Did you put ointment on the incision? What works best? Is it true that some products help reduce scarring?
3. I've been doing neck stretches - twisting to the right, left, up and down. Are there other stretches or exercises that are helpful?
4. I'm getting ready to head back to work soon. While home, I've been keeping the incision open to the air, but am already feeling self-conscious about the thought of "being exposed" in the workplace. What did others here do? I could wear a turtleneck, but the thought of something around my neck doesn't appeal to me. Scarves are an option too. Any tips for hiding the scar, or should I forget about it?!
5. I was at my daughter's sporting event yesterday and I saw numerous eyes zoom in on my incision and quickly dart away. I'm sure it looks awfully nasty to others. Not my problem, but yet I hate the thought of being someone who grosses people out. Oh well. I know it will fade over time, but in the meantime, I feel kinda freakish. Have any of you felt this way?

Any advice you can give is appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Chris

Closed Thread