It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
What are the chances???

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the chances are that I will end up with thyroid disease one day? I have been tested twice about two years ago and everything was normal per the doctor, but I am just wondering with my family history what the chances are of me one day having this as well? My dad is hypo and his mom, and both sisters are hyper. On the other side my mom's sister has graves and my great aunt is hyper as well. From what I have read, I have experienced over about a three year period a lot of symptoms that are listed and I am just wondering what the chances are that even though it's fine right now, that someday it won't be? I'd appreciate any replies or comments. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: What are the chances???

Delia, Welcome to the board!

I would say with all the known cases of thyroid issues in your family (and from both sides!) you are probably at a higher risk than most people.

I would call back to the drs office and get copies of past lab reports. That way you can see for yourself. If you want help seeing if something may be there you can post your lab results here. With the "normal" ranges in parenthesis after the result. Example: TSH 1 (.5-5). There should ideally be results for TSH, Free T4 and Free T3.

Never take a drs word for it. Get copies of all your lab work you have done.

Also, have you ever been tested for the anitbodies that indicate hashi's or graves? They can cause problems/symptoms. And sometimes labs can show "normal" even though the antibodies are active and causing damage. In this situation, the body is just self adjusting to correct thyroid levels in an attempt to maintain normal. But eventually it can't keep up with the antibodies. Then it will start to show on thyroid lab results by being out of "normal" range. I am not saying this is happening to you. I would recommend you have the antibodies tested if they haven't already been. And if its been two years you might need to go ahead and have them checked again anyway. JUst to keep an eye on things. It is definitely better to catch things early before they get to far out of whack.

If I didn't answer your question, or you have more, just keep asking away! That's what we are all here for.

Best wishes,
Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative. I do know what my results were actually off the top of my head. The doctor only tested my TSH both times, and from what I have read and like you stated, that really isn't enough...but you know doctors, they don't listen to you, they just listen to what they have been taught. Anyhow, the first TSH test was 1.64 (.5-5.0) and the second was 1.21 (.5-5.0) which from everything I understand is in the normal range. I do however also undestand that testing this alone is not the best indicator, but alas, that is all they would test. The first time I was tested it was on my doctor's advice due to family history and a few things she picked up during a routine check up, which were elevated pulse and what she called "brisk" reflexes. She was great, but unfortunately the office that I go to is part of the local hospital here and a lot of the doctors are only there to complete their residency I guess, and then they leave, so she is now gone. Anyway, I guess I just kind of figured that after two "normal" tests that it wasn't going anywhere and they weren't going to take it any further, so that was that. I probably should ask to be tested again, but I guess I feel stupid even asking...I know, don't yell! Anway, some of the things that I have experienced are as follows: Racing heart on a daily basis (not all day but at different times and instances throughout the day) minor but noticeable weight loss without really trying to lose weight, huge appetite, bloating, constipation and then the opposite, and psoriasis that is out of control, not to mention all the daily aches and pains that seem unwarrented...these are the things I have noticed on my own. Now for what the doctors have said...gerd (which I am not sure about because the doctor who dx this also asked me if the bloating pain in my stomach was as painful as say childbirth, although I have never experienced that because I have no children ) migraines due to hormones (I had constant migranes from about age 11 to 12 and just recently after stopping birth control after being on it two years have these went away) and bad enough PMS that I was given some medicine to take days before starting each month to control the PMS symptoms that I have experiencing. And that is about it. I guess I am just wondering because so many people in my family tell me how much I remind them of my mom's sister (the one with graves) not only looks and personalitiy but physically. They say when she was younger there was ALWAYS somethign wrong with her and I guess to them I am the same way. She wasn't diagnosed w/Graves until I'd say her late fourties but sometimes I wonder if all the little things that she complained of didn't really add up this undiscovered disease that she ended up having? So I guess my question now is, what do I do? Do I just wait and keep begging them to check or what? I know none of my problems are major, but I guess that I've just gotten so used to having them that they feel normal to me anymore. It's frustrating to feel like these are normal parts of life when obviously they aren't, but after a while, it's like, what do you do?

Old 02-15-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I also forgot to mention that I am almost certain that I now too have carpal tunnel in my left hand/wrist. The other day my hand hurt so bad that I could barely apply makeup with it. I also wanted to mention that a woman whom I work with just found out that she is slightly hypo. In talking to her, her doctor told her that when she was pregnant eight years ago with her son that her thyroid was slightly enlarged. It took eight years for her TSH to show elevated numbers and they weren't like off the charts or anything either. She just found this out at her last doctors appointment about two months ago and they are going to recheck them in three months. It just seems like it takes years for TSH to ever show a problem...I don't know, just a thought....

Old 02-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

Ditto on all those "problems" you mentioned except the heart issues and the migraines. I mean ALL of them. Some came and went. Others were still here when I went to the dr in Nov. with a main complaint of fatigue. I was staying tired all the time and I was getting tired of that too! Just one full day of activity would take me 2-3 weeks to recover. When you start to see your life pass you by its a BIG sign somethings not right.

I say get in to get all those tests I mentioned earlier. TSH, Free T4, Free T3, and the TSI. If your dr won't order them then you can order them online at healthcheckusa.

Keep in mind I am not a dr. What I am saying is from my own experience or from what I have learned in my own research.

Best wishes
Kim

Closed Thread