It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

emmymm HB User
TT 1 week ago still BIG lump under incision

Hi,
Any of you seasoned TT people have a big lump that took a long time to go away? It isn't like a lumpy incision...It's more like I swallowed a hockey puck and the egde of it is sticking out beheath the incison. ( Incidentally, it is hard like a puck too!) Saw surgeon today and he said everything is fine and normal. He said it could be JUNE until the lump has flattened out. Incision looks good....but this lump! It has only been one week and I am hating having what looks like a big fat neck!
Help! Any comforting stories for me?
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to emmymm For This Useful Post:
cjanierun (03-13-2011)
Old 03-01-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
(female)

emmymm HB User
Re: TT 1 week ago still BIG lump under incision

bumping this up hoping for reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Emmy,

Everyone seems to ask about this after a TT. Mine have gone done a lot. I massage them -peachy12 has a good explaination of what they are.
I went back and copied a few posts - if you want to read all in that thread you can find it by the link (if I remembered to put it on). I put the date/time on some of them-they are the last post of the thread - you can find by going back on the pages to that date and time.[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=368427&highlight=muscle s[/url]
02-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy12
I just had a total thyroidectomy and unattached tumor removed on Feb. 2. My Dr. told me that the bottom muscles are anchored to the bottom of the incision. The top muscles that were cut are just sort of hanging up there with nothing to hold onto, causing the lumpy/bumpy appearance at the top of the incision and the swelling. He said it will take about 4 months to heal as the muscle reattaches itself. My headaches have also increased severely (now almost daily) and I am feeling crappy. It is your body adjusting to the thyroid meds and they will probably have to be changed at the next follow up when they run your blood tests. I feel for you
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM Swelling after TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kant
After a TT you actually go through a period where your scar will get real hard, like a piece of rope and that swelling gets soar too. There is alot in there to go down and if you had alot of invasive manuevering it can really take a while. My throat took about 6 weeks til it felt normal again and I am just at 6 months and even this month I notice a huge difference in my scar and the smallness of my neck. It looks so skinny again!!

Karen
Indigestion after TT
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=366572[/url]
02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissamm
yes your epilglottis(the flap) gets weak, i also had indigestion after my tt. i still get it now but not as bad.it even happened when i was asleep the first day i came home, so be careful when your sleeping.
This is just a link - lots of info on this one
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=362213[/url]
Thyroidectomy incision/scar questions
last post - 02-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #4
(female)

emmymm HB User

Illmakit,
Thanks you so much for your help. You are so kind. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Yes! Thank you for copying those posts, Illmakeit, especially the one that mentioned indigestion. I thought I was the only one that had that. When I first came out of the anesthesia fog that was the pain that really stood out for me. It came and went but always came on strong when I ate or drank anything, even ultra-bland stuff like water or jello.

I finally remembered to mention it to my regular doctor on one of his few visits in the hospital (I had four doctors total and he is just my GP or family doctor) and he prescribed Prilosec OC (over-the-counter). It took 4 or 5 days on that before it got better. Even though I had a good appetite right out of the gate the esophageal pain was so intense I got to the point I swallowed/ate as little as possible to avoid it coming on.

As for the neck incision, mine is now almost 6 weeks old and still swollen but it is going down slowly. I don't believe mine ever got hard, though, although I can feel a ridge below the surface when I press on it, today. I believe that ridge is where the muscle is stitched up to itself. (I'm pretty sure the surgeon said there are actually two cuts and two suture lines, one on the surface and the other inside.) I still feel a lot of resistance to movement of the head, though, but I'm told that's normal, too.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi all!

You are welcome Emmy & Archie.

The indigestion was new to me. I didn't have much before-hardly ever. I just lived with it.

I am almost 5 weeks post op and only for the first week had any problem moving my head and that was slight. Mostly up and down so I GENTLY moved my head around often.

I try to stay positive but do slip every now and then. I seem to be "touchy" about little things that would never have bothered me before. I'm really easy going most of the time unless someone is pushing pushing pushing me. Feeling a little pushed by my doc right now.

Keep doing the things we need to everyone! Sharing information is part of it! It WILL get better.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
(female)

MATYA HB User
Smile Re: TT 1 week ago still BIG lump under incision

I had a TT in December of 2005. I am still experiencing lumps under the incision, pulling and tightness in my throat and neck area that is very sore and tender. I have been back to my surgeon numerous times along with getting a 2nd opinion. I have been told the same. It will take time. The T was a substernal one into the chest area and involved multiple organs so the surgery was very extensive. I know how you feel, so I'm just waiting and praying for the area to be back to normal. It also feels like there is something in my throat all the time which makes me clear my throat all the time. You might want to have a barium swallow. I had one and it revealed that I have gastric reflux which makes it feel like something is in your throat. I am also taking prilosec. Hope this helps

Closed Thread